F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Finally found a place to live in Buffalo. Probably should be cautious saying that since I haven't signed the lease but the deposit is and so are all the forms. Finally... After being essentially homeless for about a month following a house fire it'll be such a relief to have my own place.

Congrats

In other news I'm hoping to get out onto the slopes this weekend. I have been itching to get on my skis!!!

I liked the sales guy with Lennar much more than the girl I'm dealing with at Ryan, and seem to like their options/flexibility better as well, but since everything with this house was essentially picked for me, I'm getting a way better deal than if I was doing it from scratch with either. My new house with Ryan is essentially the same size as one of Lennar's models, with a bigger lot, for around $30K less. I will say this about both Ryan and Lennar, is that they don't shoehorn all the houses in there, they actually have yards, which you don't see much with many of the new subdivisions. I'll have 1/3 of an acre and the guy across from me has 1/2, both fairly uncommon around here. We looked at one house with Adams and it was literally no yard at all, just a small concrete slab and a bush.

Yeah, that's one thing around here that is going to take some getting used to. Then again, yards in Boston were tiny too. I feel like I'm going to want to get some extra square footage inside the house just so we can have as much space of our own as possible. Indoors our outdoors, I'll take whatever I can get.

Yeah, that's one thing around here that is going to take some getting used to. Then again, yards in Boston were tiny too. I feel like I'm going to want to get some extra square footage inside the house just so we can have as much space of our own as possible. Indoors our outdoors, I'll take whatever I can get.

With 5 kids and 3 dogs, my wife and I swore off any of the new subdivisions because the yards were nil. We have 1/2 acre now and use every last millimeter of it. We were really surprised by this subdivision. The lot would be do-able on its own, but we have a large pond behind us and woods to one side of us, so it seems like a lot more than just 1/3 of acre.

After at least an hour of searching, I finally found my misplaced passport (whew!).

And after today I'm off until Wed. Hoping the weather isn't a total wash in the Seattle area, but if so we'll head to the Great White North.

After at least an hour of searching, I finally found my misplaced passport (whew!).

And after today I'm off until Wed. Hoping the weather isn't a total wash in the Seattle area, but if so we'll head to the Great White North.

Have a safe and good time.

Just in case you don't know.  The part of the Great White North that you would likely be heading to from the Seattle area will, probably, have the exact same weather as Seattle.

EDIT:

"we'll"?????

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Have a safe and good time.

Just in case you don't know.  The part of the Great White North that you would likely be heading to from the Seattle area will, probably, have the exact same weather as Seattle.

EDIT:

"we'll"?????

Yeah, I'm afraid of that (the weather)... that area is under a flood warning through tonight and is expected to get more rain through Monday.  :(  We'll make the best of it... first time seeing the bf in almost 4 months, so being "stuck" indoors might not be all bad, either.   ;)

Today is my second last day at my current job. I start a new job on Monday in Buffalo doing part time engineering support for a solar panel installer. While I'm bummed that I'll be spending even less time in Rochester, I'm excited for my future. This is (hopefully) a major step in the right direction for me. F'N Fantastic.  :beer:

Today is my second last day at my current job. I start a new job on Monday in Buffalo doing part time engineering support for a solar panel installer. While I'm bummed that I'll be spending even less time in Rochester, I'm excited for my future. This is (hopefully) a major step in the right direction for me. F'N Fantastic.  :beer:

Awesome -- congrats, d4rk!

I've been on an aviation kick lately. Not uncommon for me, but if anyone shares that interest here, I found a PDF of Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet by Brian Shul, a former SR-71 pilot. The book was printed limited edition, which means you can't buy it for less than like... 300 bucks. 

https://mega.co.nz/#!hYoTEb6T!eDfAUy3KTxroV1JtzX8s7nIP1Z04o0s61iPM7MyViMo

So, after fancy beers and a long rant session with my friend from work, I'm looking forward to cozying up and reading this. Anecdotes and stories (not too technical, just very fireside chat-y) from his time flying the blackbird. 

I can almost guarantee the weather this weekend will be wet.

It's been like the inside of a shower the past few days (with the hot water turned off)

And congrats D4rk.

I can almost guarantee the weather this weekend will be wet.

It's been like the inside of a shower the past few days (with the hot water turned off)

And congrats D4rk.

:(  I know it's not uncommon for the Pacific Northwest, but I was hoping to get at least one clear day for some hiking around the Olympic Peninsula.  We shall see.

Finally got into the Kirsch center for Ollie's official ASD diagnosis. 

non-shocking news: Ollie has Autism. The doc described him as exactly medium on the spectrum.

Fantastic: the care team at Kirsch was head and shoulders better than the intake staff we had to deal with while trying to set up the appointment over the past year.

F'N Fantastic: Despite the initial testing done last january, the doctors don't believe Ollie has any cognitive disabilities, in other words, his ability to learn isn't compromised, and his Autism is exclusively affecting his speech and social brain functions. He also doesn't have any other complicating factors (it's common for kids with ASD to have other brain disorders that tag along with Autism), except possibly ADHD, but even that they said he was borderline. They explained that "Cognitive Disabilities" and "Complicating Factors" are the key indicators for long term success, along with responsiveness to intervention. His scores on the developmental testing have improved greatly this year, so that indicates that he is very responsive to the interventions. So they gave Ollie a pretty awesome prognosis. He's ALWAYS going to have social interaction problems and trouble with speech, but those things can be overcome a bit with coping skills that his therapists can teach him over the next 15 years. When describing the potential long term goals for Ollie she used words like "College" and "Job" and "Married". My wife and I made it out of the hospital ok, but once she called her sister, and I my brother, and recounted the information, we both completely broke down crying. All of the good parental crying. It was F'N Fantastic.

Finally got into the Kirsch center for Ollie's official ASD diagnosis. 

non-shocking news: Ollie has Autism. The doc described him as exactly medium on the spectrum.

Fantastic: the care team at Kirsch was head and shoulders better than the intake staff we had to deal with while trying to set up the appointment over the past year.

F'N Fantastic: Despite the initial testing done last january, the doctors don't believe Ollie has any cognitive disabilities, in other words, his ability to learn isn't compromised, and his Autism is exclusively affecting his speech and social brain functions. He also doesn't have any other complicating factors (it's common for kids with ASD to have other brain disorders that tag along with Autism), except possibly ADHD, but even that they said he was borderline. They explained that "Cognitive Disabilities" and "Complicating Factors" are the key indicators for long term success, along with responsiveness to intervention. His scores on the developmental testing have improved greatly this year, so that indicates that he is very responsive to the interventions. So they gave Ollie a pretty awesome prognosis. He's ALWAYS going to have social interaction problems and trouble with speech, but those things can be overcome a bit with coping skills that his therapists can teach him over the next 15 years. When describing the potential long term goals for Ollie she used words like "College" and "Job" and "Married". My wife and I made it out of the hospital ok, but once she called her sister, and I my brother, and recounted the information, we both completely broke down crying. All of the good parental crying. It was F'N Fantastic.

Glad to hear read it. :beer: