F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

So my wife went in for her ultrasound to find the sex of the baby.  It's a girl.  I was a little disappointed at first as my son has been so much fun but it will be great raising a girl as well.  Plus the added bonus is with us having a boy and a girl I think I can talk my wife into deciding we're done (already stressing their sport and education costs). 

Can anyone with a daughter provide any tips/advise?

Beshaah Tovah

My wife and I have many kids (that means more than 3) -- some of each gender. We've also had some harrowing and tragic experiences associated with becoming, or in some cases only trying to become, parents. So I will say what I always say (and holy sh!t do I mean it): Every baby is a miracle. Every single one. And the arrival of a healthy baby, together with a mother's health following delivery, are all that can or should be wished for. Every child is an infinity unto themselves, and you could spend your entire waking life trying to know and understand everything about each such child, and you would never even begin to exhaust that which might be discovered of them.

So, yeah. Girl. Boy. Whatever. Enjoy them, however they present themselves to you and the world. 

(I apologize for going off the deep end a bit. I'll cop to the fact that wishing-and-desiring-and-angling for a boy or a girl is a button of mine that can be pushed by the slightest suggestion. Again, congrats on the expected arrival.)

One boy and one girl would be ideal in my mind

Edited by That Aud Smell

Beshaah Tovah

My wife and I have many kids (that means more than 3) -- some of each gender. We've also had some harrowing and tragic experiences associated with becoming, or in some cases only trying to become, parents. So I will say what I always say (and holy sh!t do I mean it): Every baby is a miracle. Every single one. And the arrival of a healthy baby, together with a mother's health following delivery, are all that can or should be wished for. Every child is an infinity unto themselves, and you could spend your entire waking life trying to know and understand everything about each such child, and you would never even begin to exhaust that which might be discovered of them.

So, yeah. Girl. Boy. Whatever. Enjoy them, however they present themselves to you and the world. 

(I apologize for going off the deep end a bit. I'll cop to the fact that wishing-and-desiring-and-angling for a boy or a girl is a button of mine that can be pushed by the slightest suggestion. Again, congrats on the expected arrival.)

I don't think you were going off the deep end at all.  I guess I should have prefaced what I said by acknowledging that having a healthy child and wife is the most important thing.  I realize others sometimes have a difficult time in regards to conceiving and after the child is born and I pray that either way the child is healthy.  That aside, I was just looking for any advice I can grab as raising a girl kind of scares the out of me for some reason.

I don't think you were going off the deep end at all.  I guess I should have prefaced what I said by acknowledging that having a healthy child and wife is the most important thing.  I realize others sometimes have a difficult time in regards to conceiving and after the child is born and I pray that either way the child is healthy.  That aside, I was just looking for any advice I can grab as raising a girl kind of scares the ###### out of me for some reason.

Dude. You are going to be great.

Someone else posted about how the love a Dad(dy) can elicit from a daughter is unique and so special. Very true.

Someone else posted about how the love a Dad(dy) can elicit from a daughter is unique and so special. Very true.

Troof.  My relationship with my daughter is an incredible gift from whoever makes these gifts.  Holy mackerel does she fill me with joy.

Soo.... Ollie's caregiver team went into overdrive last night and today. Really circled the wagons to make sure he got what he needed.

Turns out the lady that was putting up road blocks wasn't from the School District, but rather from the Ontario Country Board of Public Health. We wouldn't know that, because she never told us her name, let alone where the hell she came from. Over the past 24 hours, a full on assault was levied by 2 speech therapists, an occupational therapist, a special education coordinator, and one very very angry mamabear. 

Elected officials do not appreciate their appointed bureaucracies creating angry constituents.

Ollie will be getting all the things he needs, effective immediately.

F'N Fantastic!

Edited by Vodka Bottle of Emotion

Soo.... Ollie's caregiver team went into overdrive last night and today. Really circled the wagons to make sure he got what he needed.

Turns out the lady that was putting up road blocks wasn't from the School District, but rather from the Ontario Country Board of Public Health. We wouldn't know that, because she never told us her name, let alone where the hell she came from. Over the past 24 hours, a full on assault was levied by 2 speech therapists, an occupational therapist, a special education coordinator, and one very very angry mamabear. 

Elected officials do not appreciate their appointed bureaucracies creating angry constituents.

F'N Fantastic!

Good stuff :thumbsup:

F'N Fantastic!

Hell yeah!

Yeah, we went with the "alternative" appeals process  :devil:

I'm glad that going with qualified professionals to fight against gross incompetence was effective. 'Tis not always the case :lol:

Edit: And hey, do you mind if I use this in class as an example of how elected leaders actually do listen to constituents, and how they help in certain situations?

Edited by TrueBluePhD

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks the day that my personal Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, died for my sins and, in so doing, made it possible for me to pass through the gates of heaven when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

60927558.jpg

I don't have a twitter account but my one time a few years back my brother sent me a link to a spoof twitter account for Jesus. You'd probably think it was sacrilege but as a non-religious person I found it funny. Anyway, the one tweet that still sticks out in my mind was something along the lines of "Whoever decided to call the day that I died 'Good Friday' is a real !". Good stuff.

Aud,

I think what you posted is fantastic.  Really, I do.

-----

Good Friday is a fantastic day for us.

We met some really great people recently who understand their religion as we do ... very *liberal*, for lack of a better term.

We will be participating in Friday Prayers with them (most are in Toronto) by way of skype.

After that we will be going to a great Turkish restaurant / cafe for lunch and coffee ... it is one of the few places open today.  We will be bringing home cans of Turkish coffee to replenish our home supply.  A fantastic Friday, indeed.

I wish everyone celebrating the culmination of Holy Week, or Passover starting tomorrow at sunset, a very Blessed Holiday.

Salam / Peace.

I appreciate folks taking my post in the right spirit.

I mean -- I'm a believer. I'm observant, mostly. And Holy Week is the centerpiece of the faith, if you're a Christian.

I just like poking fun at myself a bit, and, yes, at others who embrace faith without also embracing doubts and ambiguities.