All About Natural Disasters

I'm giving the..."There are a half dozen posters here who gave personal stories of direct ###### from this storm, so it's probably not in good taste to post silly pictures."

Sometimes book smarts doesn't translate to common sense.....like the National Weather Service never posting hurricane warnings for NYC/NJ because the texbook didn't define the system at potential landfall as a hurricane.

People deal with stress and hardship with humor. i'd say you have a good point if it were the folks from Jersey and MD that complained about it. They didn't.

Maybe it's because I went through it myself, or maybe it's because I'm a cold hearted pr***, but I'm just finding it hard to stomach the shmaltz over what was lost in these shore towns. What did they expect? This was the only possible outcome of building a town on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean.

Hey D4rk, any power yet today? How's everyone else that's being affected?

Here in Elmira/Ithaca/Dryden it's just chilly and a constant drizzle, with a slight breeze now and then. Looks like the sun might peak out. This area of NY definitely was spared, and I feel blessed for that. I hope everyone in the affected areas are keeping safe!

Hey D4rk, any power yet today? How's everyone else that's being affected?

Here in Elmira/Ithaca/Dryden it's just chilly and a constant drizzle, with a slight breeze now and then. Looks like the sun might peak out. This area of NY definitely was spared, and I feel blessed for that. I hope everyone in the affected areas are keeping safe!

Still no power today. Bailed another 30 gallons out of the sump before work. Hopefully that'll hold till I get home. Everyone else in our complex seems to have abandoned ship. I can only imagine what their basements look like if they aren't minding them. House is starting to get cold too, so if the heat isn't back tonight we might go elsewhere/hotel. Jo can't take the cold like I can. At least we have hot water for showers.

Still no power today. Bailed another 30 gallons out of the sump before work. Hopefully that'll hold till I get home. Everyone else in our complex seems to have abandoned ship. I can only imagine what their basements look like if they aren't minding them. House is starting to get cold too, so if the heat isn't back tonight we might go elsewhere/hotel. Jo can't take the cold like I can. At least we have hot water for showers.

Best of luck with everything man!

If you need to stay in a hotel, PM or text me, I have priority rewards at Holiday inns, and I can redeem my points giving you a discounted rate if you want.

I saw an interesting one on the way to work today. Yesterday I noticed a full size tree that was downed by the wind. It fell and crushed a fence. What I didn't notice until today was that there is also a car under that tree. The fence held up the tree just enough to spare the car. I'm sure the people are a bit nervous about it, but I would be attempting to move that car as far away from the tree as possible, even if it is only a couple feet.

D4rk, the last time we lost power for an extended time we were able to keep the house reasonably warm by boiling big pots of water. Hell, while you are at it you might as well make soup for dinner, right?

Also, it may not be convenient, but I'm not *that* far from rochester. I have a kerosene heater in the garage you can borrow. You won't want to run it continuously (CO build up) but you certainly can take the chill out and shut it down. Kerosene heaters are a bit smelly but it night be better than sitting in the cold.

Lemme know.

The best flashlight you can buy is the mini-maglite. Even if small it shines enough light to get around the house, and the top unscrews to use as a candle to read by. It runs off of 2 AA batteries so much cheaper than D's.

While I have one of those too, I personally think this is the best flashlight you can buy for this kind of situation:

http://www.amazon.com/American-CLIPRAY-ARCCR100R_SNG-Charger-Flashlight/dp/B003BYROUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351696252&sr=8-2&keywords=red+cross+crank+usb+flashlight

Note that the USB charger isn't very powerful. Probably best to use the charger to charge a USB battery pack (it'll take a long time) and then charge the phone from that.

Maybe it's because I went through it myself, or maybe it's because I'm a cold hearted pr***, but I'm just finding it hard to stomach the shmaltz over what was lost in these shore towns. What did they expect? This was the only possible outcome of building a town on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean.

So true.. But it doesn't change the fact that we are a bi-coastal population drawn to water.... It breaks my heart to see what has happened to the Jersey Shore. My family history is very intertwined with Ocean City, NJ. It was by my metrics a perfect vacation town. It is beyond my comprehension to see the scale of the loss from Toms River to Cape May.

D4rk,

Sent you a PM last night.

Good luck w/ it.

Finally going home today. We were supposed to fly from Miami to Philly Monday night, but obviously that was canceled so we've been stuck in the Miami airport the last two nights. Anxious to see how my house fared in the storm... seems like power never went out, but I'm guessing the stuff from my porch is all over the place and hoping my fence didn't take too much of a beating. Here's hoping the rest of you SabreSpacers fared well.

We've been lucky so far, just a flicker or two.

But, ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/31/ns-outages-connecticut-nspower.html

I love the comments at the bottom of the linked article.

And love the CBC showing a picture from Connecticut at the top of an article about storms in NS.

This just in.

Pro-Assad nutbars in Syria have taken 'credit' for Sandy, with the help of their friends in Iran.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/31/world/meast/syria-sandy-facebook-claim/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Just when I did not think it was possible, the whack jobs over there just got whackier.

This just in.

Pro-Assad nutbars in Syria have taken 'credit' for Sandy, with the help of their friends in Iran.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

Just when I did not think it was possible, the whack jobs over there just got whackier.

I think I'd rather the whack jobs have a nuke than a weather machine :o

This just in.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

By the logic of Obama's enemies, this is proof that that Sandy was a terrorist attack. What did the president know, and when did he know it?

I cannot believe the pics from NYC. I can't see how the are going to get the subway fully operational for at least a week. The houses that caught fire in Rockaway. LaGuardia under water.

In case someone can't find a collection of pictures, there are a lot here:

Yahoo pics

I cannot believe the pics from NYC. I can't see how the are going to get the subway fully operational for at least a week. The houses that caught fire in Rockaway. LaGuardia under water.

Did you see the before and after pics of Breezy Point? Someone posted them in the Off the Wall forum. Shocking doesn't cover it. It's amazing nobody died in that inferno.

Not to mention all that salt water in the electrical system underground....

Did you see the before and after pics of Breezy Point? Someone posted them in the Off the Wall forum. Shocking doesn't cover it. It's amazing nobody died in that inferno.

Here are the pics. First link is before pic. Notice house with white roof at bottom center of pic:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qrskxh8v64cj&lvl=19.24&dir=359.05&sty=o&form=LMLTCC

After pic with same house at lower left. Unbelievable.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1195049.1351695367!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/breezy-point.jpg

PM'd you back.

RG&E was refusing to tell me or my apartment management all day what the status of power restoration would be. They've now updated it to midnight....on Friday.

Oh, man!

You better re-stock up on those batteries. Either that, or stop ignoring Jo.

Seriously, I feel for you guys. Been there and done that, though. 10 days in the aftermath of Juan.