All About Natural Disasters

The devastation in northern PA is remarkable. The region is in shambles -- almost looks like the 1800s here, and there's some serious social de-evolution taking place. Wait... it always looks like this.

Yeah, I was gonna say...It's looked like this the past 2 and a half years I've lived here...

Thoughts and prayers to all.

We have some wind and rain today, but as the storm double backs east we will get more over-night tonight and tomorrow.

Nova Scotia Power is notorious for having problems at the slightest wind, so I fully expect to loose power at some point.

A rodo we re-located earlier this fall has blown over already. I will spend some time securing it and double checking other trees and bushes, but I don't anticipate too much damage. Have packed away the deck chairs etc. for the season already.

EDIT: Lost in the focus, rightly so, on Sandy. BC had a powerful earthquake on the weekend, with some after shocks. It was in a pretty remote part, so I am not sure of damage.

Bun,

You are out in BC. Any news?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

It's sunny here in Tonawanda this morning. The worst we got was a soaked outdoor carpet. Kids have the day off.

This makes up for the infamous October storm and the big storm a few years after that, both of which were so bad news crews couldn't resist talking to me.

Glad to hear that it could have been a lot worse for everyone here.

Thoughts and prayers to all.

We have some wind and rain today, but as the storm double backs east we will get more over-night tonight and tomorrow.

Nova Scotia Power is notorious for having problems at the slightest wind, so I fully expect to loose power at some point.

A rodo we re-located earlier this fall has blown over already. I will spend some time securing it and double checking other trees and bushes, but I don't anticipate too much damage. Have packed away the deck chairs etc. for the season already.

EDIT: Lost in the focus, rightly so, on Sandy. BC had a powerful earthquake on the weekend, with some after shocks. It was in a pretty remote part, so I am not sure of damage.

Bun,

You are out in BC. Any news?

Yeah saturday night 7.7 up in the queen charlottes which is now called Haida Gwai. Not an overly populated area but they has tsunami warnings all over the coast and over to Hawaii. Yesterday another 6.3 which may have just been an aftershock. There have been quite a few of those. I'm on Vancouver Island and never felt a thing. The epicenter is quite a ways away to the north.

Sorry for everyone who got nailed. Buffalo hit a sweet pocket. The storm hit the coast so fast that the front end gapped away from the center and states west of us are getting the stuff we were modled to with the 30-50mph winds. The front still is supposed to pass through here, but it will be a baby by then.

NYC is a mess. I've got friends with a 50 foot tree in their building, and a cousin 4 blocks from the Hudson in zone B who was stranded without power.

8 million households without power, including bottom 1/3 of Manhattan.

And I don't mind teasing, but considering the ramifications of what just happened and some people telling everyone not to worry and it is all hype....it's borderline retarded.

Sorry for everyone who got nailed. Buffalo hit a sweet pocket. The storm hit the coast so fast that the front end gapped away from the center and states west of us are getting the stuff we were modled to with the 30-50mph winds. The front still is supposed to pass through here, but it will be a baby by then.

NYC is a mess. I've got friends with a 50 foot tree in their building, and a cousin 4 blocks from the Hudson in zone B who was stranded without power.

And I don't mind teasing, but considering the ramifications of what just happened and some people telling everyone not to worry and it is all hype....it's borderline retarded.

Not recognizing that we're mocking the hysteria in Buffalo is more than borderline retarded. Nobody has made jokes or downplayed the danger where it was actually going to be dangerous.

NYC is a mess. Half a million people without power, and there are whole neighborhoods that were destroyed (fires and flooding)

Just came in from a walk around my neighborhood. So many trees all twisted and torn to hell. The front of my building got ripped off. It's sad, and we are on the high ground. Our neighbors just a few miles away are really in a bad way.

I feel lucky to have power and a dry place to stay.

Oh, the humanity. Those poor 8 million souls that can't update their Facebook status.

So, there are once in a lifetime waves on lake Ontario, and an experienced surfer wants to ride them. Why is it acceptable for the cops to tell him to stop?

http://www.wivb.com/...tario-shoreline

Because if he gets in trouble out there he will put rescue personnel in harm's way? Because others perhaps not experienced may be tempted to do the same? A combination of these factors perhaps?

So, there are once in a lifetime waves on lake Ontario, and an experienced surfer wants to ride them. Why is it acceptable for the cops to tell him to stop?

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/niagara/waves-hammer-lake-ontario-shoreline

They can't tell him to stop, but they can ask him.

Whether or not he complies is up to him, and it sounds like he decided not to put up much of an argument.

It would be different if the county had posted signs that ordered people to stay out of the water.

http://www.wivb.com/...tario-shoreline

Can. Of. Worms. Not the surfing, but the busy-body society we've developed. Frankly, if the dude wants to surf, I say let him surf.

Unrelated to the storm, but the neighborhood we moved into a couple of years ago now is filled to the brim with busy-bodies who can't live and let live. Apparently, people need "the man" to act as a grown-ups' parent and intervene when they don't like what their neighbor is doing.

Who are you chiding here?

Probably Ruff, but there's a chance it could be Regier.

That's better.

Not recognizing that we're mocking the hysteria in Buffalo is more than borderline retarded. Nobody has made jokes or downplayed the danger where it was actually going to be dangerous.

My bad read then, sorry.

Who are you chiding here?

There was downplaying from day 1 about the whole event and the tenor seemed to stay the same from my viewpoint from a few. I guess I read it wrong. At least you asked where I was getting some of the data from as far as it regarded WNY.

Considering on Saturday the freaking mayor of NYC said it wasn't going to be a big deal and didn't see the need to evacuate anyone when it was obvious to the scientists what was about to happen....holy cow. I guess I can't blame people for scoffing when leadership does so. At least Cuomo went nuts and over his head. Cuomo is a good leader in certain regards and I give him credit.

Chicago, Ohio and points west ended up with a lot of our projected hit because the thing outsped it's center on the west side of the storm. I'm in full support of all the schools who shut down. It was the right thing to do 100% of the time in a situation like this.