All About Natural Disasters

That's better.

My bad read then, sorry.

There was downplaying from day 1 about the whole event and the tenor seemed to stay the same from my viewpoint from a few. I guess I read it wrong. At least you asked where I was getting some of the data from as far as it regarded WNY.

Considering on Saturday the freaking mayor of NYC said it wasn't going to be a big deal and didn't see the need to evacuate anyone when it was obvious to the scientists what was about to happen....holy cow. I guess I can't blame people for scoffing when leadership does so. At least Cuomo went nuts and over his head. Cuomo is a good leader in certain regards and I give him credit.

Chicago, Ohio and points west ended up with a lot of our projected hit because the thing outsped it's center on the west side of the storm. I'm in full support of all the schools who shut down. It was the right thing to do 100% of the time in a situation like this.

So you were chiding us? I won't speak for all but I was questioning your tenor as it pertained to WNY. Considering how we fared here (less force than predicted which was still less than your tenor), I'm not getting the "I told you so".

Because if he gets in trouble out there he will put rescue personnel in harm's way? Because others perhaps not experienced may be tempted to do the same? A combination of these factors perhaps?

So let him drown. If the others are too stupid to know what their abilities are then let them drown as well.

So let him drown. If the others are too stupid to know what their abilities are then let them drown as well.

I've never met a rescue professional or volunteer with that mindset.

Seems there is always some thrill seeker that puts himself in harm's way only to end up in need of a rescue. Makes sense to curtail that activity when you can if it means not subjecting rescuers to the same peril.

Edited by K-9

I've never met a rescue professional or volunteer with that mindset.

Seems there is always some thrill seeker that puts himself in harm's way only to end up in need of a rescue. Makes sense to curtail that activity when you can if it means not subjecting rescuers to the same peril.

Not quite sure what your point is, but it kinda sounds like "Person A isn't allowed to have fun because Person B can't help themselves from rescuing A if they get in trouble". I know I don't agree with that. And maybe if we let enough of those As die, there would be less stupid kids of As that would need rescuing in the future.

:devil:

Not quite sure what your point is, but it kinda sounds like "Person A isn't allowed to have fun because Person B can't help themselves from rescuing A if they get in trouble". I know I don't agree with that. And maybe if we let enough of those As die, there would be less stupid kids of As that would need rescuing in the future.

:devil:

Your point seems to be that rescue workers only become rescue workers simply because they can't keep themselves from rescuing people. Maybe if more of these rescuers died while rescuing people, fewer people would be apt to become a rescuers who simply like to spoil all the fun for all the thrill seekers out there.

And if we're REALLY lucky someone with a video recording device can capture a thrill seeker killing themselves in the process. Personally, I can't think of greater fun than live footage of a drowning surfer floundering in the waves and frantically waving his arms as he takes his last breath and disappears beneath the waves, never to be seen again. Or at least not until a few days later when his bloated corpse washes up on the beach. And I insist that only that person's immediate family should have the responsibility to recover the body as well. This might serve to dissuade other idiots from spawning additional thrill seeking idiots.

Your point seems to be that rescue workers only become rescue workers simply because they can't keep themselves from rescuing people. Maybe if more of these rescuers died while rescuing people, fewer people would be apt to become a rescuers who simply like to spoil all the fun for all the thrill seekers out there.

And if we're REALLY lucky someone with a video recording device can capture a thrill seeker killing themselves in the process. Personally, I can't think of greater fun than live footage of a drowning surfer floundering in the waves and frantically waving his arms as he takes his last breath and disappears beneath the waves, never to be seen again. Or at least not until a few days later when his bloated corpse washes up on the beach. And I insist that only that person's immediate family should have the responsibility to recover the body as well. This might serve to dissuade other idiots from spawning additional thrill seeking idiots.

Actually that was your point.

I've never met a rescue professional or volunteer with that mindset.[To let him drown]

We agree, then.

We're damned lucky to have these under and sometimes non paid people in our society willing to risk so much for others.

That's my point.

I agree, but you missed my point. Some people aren't worth saving, or they should at least have the freedom to chose to not be saved. I always hear that we are the freest (free-est?) country in the world, but just try doing something out of the norm (like surfing a storm). It doesn't take very long before you have to answer to a guy with a badge. That's not freedom.

It's no different than what Gov Christie did in certain places. He said you have until this time to get out, if you stay we will not rescue you. I can't feel bad for those that chose not to leave and I certainly won't hold it against Christie for sticking to his word.

I agree, but you missed my point. Some people aren't worth saving, or they should at least have the freedom to chose to not be saved. I always hear that we are the freest (free-est?) country in the world, but just try doing something out of the norm (like surfing a storm). It doesn't take very long before you have to answer to a guy with a badge. That's not freedom.

It's no different than what Gov Christie did in certain places. He said you have until this time to get out, if you stay we will not rescue you. I can't feel bad for those that chose not to leave and I certainly won't hold it against Christie for sticking to his word.

I don't disagree with your point. I think that surfer just really sucks at sneaking out there to catch a wave. I mean if the beach is officially closed then the guy with the badge has a point in just doing his job but the surfer should risk the fine anyway if it's that important to him. If it's not closed, I don't see how a badge can do anything more than advise him.

So you were chiding us? I won't speak for all but I was questioning your tenor as it pertained to WNY. Considering how we fared here (less force than predicted which was still less than your tenor), I'm not getting the "I told you so".

I'm giving the..."There are a half dozen posters here who gave personal stories of direct ###### from this storm, so it's probably not in good taste to post silly pictures."

Sometimes book smarts doesn't translate to common sense.....like the National Weather Service never posting hurricane warnings for NYC/NJ because the texbook didn't define the system at potential landfall as a hurricane.

I don't disagree with your point. I think that surfer just really sucks at sneaking out there to catch a wave. I mean if the beach is officially closed then the guy with the badge has a point in just doing his job but the surfer should risk the fine anyway if it's that important to him. If it's not closed, I don't see how a badge can do anything more than advise him.

...and I'm sure that a cop in Wilson knows so much more about waves and rip currents than a surfer. ;)

Why do we make it their job to care about stuff like this, anyway. If you are smart enough to know what you are doing, you shouldn't have to waste your time justifying yourself to a badge. If you are not smart enough, well, then, a little culling of the herd is never a bad thing either. (Mind you, I only feel this way about things that only effect the participant)

...and I'm sure that a cop in Wilson knows so much more about waves and rip currents than a surfer. ;)

Why do we make it their job to care about stuff like this, anyway. If you are smart enough to know what you are doing, you shouldn't have to waste your time justifying yourself to a badge. If you are not smart enough, well, then, a little culling of the herd is never a bad thing either. (Mind you, I only feel this way about things that only effect the participant)

Bottom line SwampD: that "surfer" is a p.u.s.s.y that just doesn't want it bad enough.

I'm pretty sure that people back before electricity didn't live as long not because of health care or standard of living. They were just F**KING BORED!

Look at where the population spikes are.

Look at where modernization is.

Tell me what the "bored" people are doing...

Not so bad off, if there's birth control, right?

Edited by Eleven

I'm pretty sure that people back before electricity didn't live as long not because of health care or standard of living. They were just F**KING BORED!

This wouldn't be so bad if I had light to read by. I'm just trying not to waste batteries. Ugh. Spent the evening at the RIT library coffee shop just to get out of the darkness and charge mine and the girlfriend's phones.

Guess ill just have a beer and call it a night.

This wouldn't be so bad if I had light to read by. I'm just trying not to waste batteries. Ugh. Spent the evening at the RIT library coffee shop just to get out of the darkness and charge mine and the girlfriend's phones.

Guess ill just have a beer and call it a night.

"Waste" the batteries and read. You can buy more batteries in the morning. You can't buy quiet time with a good book.

Edited by Eleven

You might want to check on those extra batteries, if Jo is being ignored...

:blush:

she's suddenly gotten into painting cucumbers and gourds.....go figure?

The best flashlight you can buy is the mini-maglite. Even if small it shines enough light to get around the house, and the top unscrews to use as a candle to read by. It runs off of 2 AA batteries so much cheaper than D's.

Made it home last night. Jet blue pulled an extra plane from somewhere down south and got us home around 7pm. As soon as we hit the OBX things got rough. Today was decent in terms of weather in Springville, there was a touch of light snow for a brief second up on the hills. I wonder how bad well get hit tonight/tomorrow.