All About Natural Disasters

All this fuss over a thousand feet of the 26 mile course

...and the funny thing is, nobody gave a crap about Staten Island before the storm...

I do!!! That's where I stay when I go to the city! It's cheaper on the island, and you just take the free ferry back and forth! :ph34r:

but there's this one Wendy's...they don't make frosty's after a certain time...even though their open till late...don't go there. They suck!!

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

About half of the deaths in NYC appear to have been on Staten Island, and nearly all of those in areas designated as Mandatory Evacuation Zones at noon on Sunday. Everyone had more than 24 hours to leave the area. The dead range from age 2 to age 79. Sadly, this tragic loss of life did not need to occur.

About half of the deaths in NYC appear to have been on Staten Island, and nearly all of those in areas designated as Mandatory Evacuation Zones at noon on Sunday. Everyone had more than 24 hours to leave the area. The dead range from age 2 to age 79. Sadly, this tragic loss of life did not need to occur.

This is true. Unfortunately, storm warnings often sound like crying wolf to many people. You have NOTHING to lose by heeding them but risk losing EVERYTHING when you don't. Just read a NY Times story about some of the victims they've recovered. Heart wrenching stuff.

This is true. Unfortunately, storm warnings often sound like crying wolf to many people. You have NOTHING to lose by heeding them but risk losing EVERYTHING when you don't. Just read a NY Times story about some of the victims they've recovered. Heart wrenching stuff.

The mother who watched her 4-year-old get swept away only to have her 2-year-old yanked from her arms by the surge hit me hard. I can't imagine, because even imagining that kind of despair would probably kill me.

Edited by LastPommerFan

The mother who watched her 4-year-old get swept away only to have her 2-year-old yanked from her arms by the surge hit me hard. I can't imagine, because even imagining that kind of despair would probably kill me.

As a parent of a 11 and 7 year olds, this story hits particularly hard.

In their report on this story, CNN showed the place where her SUV stalled, the sinkhole she ended up in, and the toppled tree she clung to with her two children. Within 50 feet of that tree is the house she told people she knocked on the door of only to be rebuffed by the owner. 50 feet between clinging to a tree and two little ones in 90 mph winds and the shelter of a home.

CNN also interviewed the man who allegedly denied her refuge. His version is that he never saw any woman with children but that a man had thrown a concrete brick through is back door when the homeowner refused to go outside and assist the man. Perhaps, in the terror of that storm the man was confused and scared, and with good reason. Only he and the woman know the truth. But when I see the proximity of that tree and his house, it's hard to believe she didn't knock on his door.

That man is going to be vilified for the rest of his life. This storm claimed victims in many ways to be sure.

Edited by K-9

Are alot of these people any diifferent than the yahoo that wanted to surf Lake Ontario's storm waves?

I can feel lousy for the young who were at the mercy of their parents judgement, and the old who may have had mobibilty and communication challenges that helped keep them in danger. But most everyone else likely had the means to get out and chose to stay.

You mean the mandatory evacuation zones that as of 8PM Saturday were said to be...."just fine...we'll get through this just fine. We don't expect anything like last year and there aren't going to be any hurricane winds or surge or anything like that. When it is over we can help out the areas that need it." - Mayor Bloomberg

You mean the mandatory evacuation zones that as of 8PM Saturday were said to be...."just fine...we'll get through this just fine. We don't expect anything like last year and there aren't going to be any hurricane winds or surge or anything like that. When it is over we can help out the areas that need it." - Mayor Bloomberg

If he said that, then this is all on him. No wonder he didn't want the President to go to NYC.

Gotta figure the President probably already knows what is going on there and doesn't like it, so he's letting Bloomberg tie his own noose.

Yes, the mayor said that, and ^ this is my train of thought right now as well. I really don't think the marathon should be happening this weekend either.

If he said that, then this is all on him. No wonder he didn't want the President to go to NYC.

You were one of the few really following the potential here.....when Bloomberg came out with this, I flipped. You can even reread the thread starting last Wednesday and see how this all went down and different attitudes.

Read these first few paragraphs and try not to puke. How can you blame people when this is coming from your leadership?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203922804578083410823954952.html

You were one of the few really following the potential here.....when Bloomberg came out with this, I flipped. You can even reread the thread starting last Wednesday and see how this all went down and different attitudes.

Read these first few paragraphs and try not to puke. How can you blame people when this is coming from your leadership?

http://online.wsj.co...0823954952.html

Third term. Third. Term.