All About Natural Disasters

I get all this, I still wonder what you want him to say when he is inevitably asked, "What message would you send to the people in NJ devastated by this storm?"

Your original complaint was that he said "We will rebuild stronger", my question isn't so much what you want him to do now, or yesterday, or tomorrow, but how you would have him answer that question.

I'm looking for meaningful actions, not sound bites. Yesterday he mentioned electricity. So what exactly is his adminstration doing to help get the lights turned on? That is the message he needs to deliver to these areas. Not, you will be stronger. What is he doing for West Virginia today? Tell us.. What are you doing to get water out of the tunnels. I suspect a lot. Tell us... Show us the actions, not the contrite BS about being stronger.

What can he not do on AF1 that he can do in the WH?

He is campaigning today. He is more worried about his own skin today that those folks in Brigantine. They were yesterday's agenda item.. Shed a tear in front of the cameras, check.

I'm looking for meaningful actions, not sound bites. Yesterday he mentioned electricity. So what exactly is his adminstration doing to help get the lights turned on? That is the message he needs to deliver to these areas. Not, you will be stronger. What is he doing for West Virginia today? Tell us.. What are you doing to get water out of the tunnels. I suspect a lot. Tell us... Show us the actions, not the contrite BS about being stronger.

I think you're focusing on one line that was reported. Watch the comments in the linked video. He goes into almost every specific you asked for above.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1937269915001/obama-gov-christie-comment-on-hurricane-sandy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fvideo+(Internal+-+Video+-+Latest)

He is campaigning today. He is more worried about his own skin today that those folks in Brigantine. They were yesterday's agenda item.. Shed a tear in front of the cameras, check.

Did you watch the whole press conference, not just the one quote that they would run on the nightly news?

He has had a 15 minute rule since this began. All calls to his office from state and local officials get responses in no longer than 15 minutes. Half of that time is how long it took Bush to get up from his chair in that elementary school.

I didn't vote for Christie but he has been a really good gov. in regard to these storms. I'll take his word for it that the Pres is doing all he needs to.

Bush sent Cheney. Bush's helicoptor never landed in New Orleans and everyone killed him for it. The presidency IS symbolic. It's the president's job to re-assure. It's everyone elses to get stuff done. Obama had to do that yesterday.

I recall Bush personally surveying the damage from Marine One as well in the aftermath of Katrina. Perhaps I'm "misremembering?"

Anyway, as I said upthread, what doomed Bush and forever stamped him as bungling Katrina in the eyes of many was that his rhetoric did not match the images we were being bombarded with. And if things worsen and people become less patient with no power and living in shelters, etc. the potential is there for Obama to have his own "helluva job, Brownie" moment as well. And I GUARANTEE that Fox News and the Drudges of the world are busy looking for just such an opening with this disaster.

I recall Bush personally surveying the damage from Marine One as well in the aftermath of Katrina. Perhaps I'm "misremembering?"

Anyway, as I said upthread, what doomed Bush and forever stamped him as bungling Katrina in the eyes of many was that his rhetoric did not match the images we were being bombarded with. And if things worsen and people become less patient with no power and living in shelters, etc. the potential is there for Obama to have his own "helluva job, Brownie" moment as well. And I GUARANTEE that Fox News and the Drudges of the world are busy looking for just such an opening with this disaster.

Marine 1 is the helicoptor. It never landed in NO though.

On a different note, it was very satisfying breezing past a mile long line of cars waiting for gas on my bicycle on the way to work today.

Marine 1 is the helicoptor. It never landed in NO though.

On a different note, it was very satisfying breezing past a mile long line of cars waiting for gas on my bicycle on the way to work today.

Wow, I just assumed that Marine One must have landed in NO. Even though I put a TON of blame on his advisers for the mistakes he made in terms of rhetoric, for him not to land and get up close to the destruction is totally on him. Even if he was advised not to, a president has to say, "Phuck it, those are my people down there."

Wow, I just assumed that Marine One must have landed in NO. Even though I put a TON of blame on his advisers for the mistakes he made in terms of rhetoric, for him not to land and get up close to the destruction is totally on him. Even if he was advised not to, a president has to say, "Phuck it, those are my people down there."

Provided he can stay out of the responders' way and won't be tying up resources needed on the ground for all the security and circus that goes with a President showing up somewhere, then I'd agree that the President's presence can be 'uplifting' (or something like that).

But, if he's going to get in the way, better to survey from above and not make things worse.

My understanding is that Mayor Bloomberg requested the President not tour NYC. If that is in fact the case, good for him for not getting in the way of those doing the very difficult task they're working on. Gov. Christie wanted him in Joisey, good for him going there.

Provided he can stay out of the responders' way and won't be tying up resources needed on the ground for all the security and circus that goes with a President showing up somewhere, then I'd agree that the President's presence can be 'uplifting' (or something like that).

But, if he's going to get in the way, better to survey from above and not make things worse.

My understanding is that Mayor Bloomberg requested the President not tour NYC. If that is in fact the case, good for him for not getting in the way of those doing the very difficult task they're working on. Gov. Christie wanted him in Joisey, good for him going there.

I think that's a fair way of putting it. I agree.

I think that's a fair way of putting it. I agree.

Bush didn't land because he didn't want to get in the way. He was trying to be helpful. I'm glad even you see the logic of this.

Too bad the main-stream media ripped Bush apart over it, at the behest of the democrats. In their combined effort to score political points, the democrats and the media did untold damage to racial harmony in this country over Katrina. Yet, after all of this time, the myth that Bush did nothing, and the main-stream media was only "reporting the facts" survives.

That said, turn about is fair play. It's not like after what the democrats did during Katrina, after four years of Obama dividing the country, and, indeed, after nearly 50 years of democrats pounding on the racial wedge, there's much more damage that can be done. So, God speed Fox News, Drudge, et al...you make Obama look like the incompetent, partisan tyrant he is.

So this is the political thread now? :unsure:

Yeah, sorry. Oops.

Maybe the mods can put the relevant posts in the political thread.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Bush didn't land because he didn't want to get in the way. He was trying to be helpful. I'm glad even you see the logic of this.

Too bad the main-stream media ripped Bush apart over it, at the behest of the democrats. In their combined effort to score political points, the democrats and the media did untold damage to racial harmony in this country over Katrina. Yet, after all of this time, the myth that Bush did nothing, and the main-stream media was only "reporting the facts" survives.

That said, turn about is fair play. It's not like after what the democrats did during Katrina, after four years of Obama dividing the country, and, indeed, after nearly 50 years of democrats pounding on the racial wedge, there's much more damage that can be done. So, God speed Fox News, Drudge, et al...you make Obama look like the incompetent, partisan tyrant he is.

Even me? Nice. Keep up with your assumptions.

And blame the 'main stream media' bogeyman all you like. A president simply can't say "heckuva job, Brownie" against the backdrop of the images we saw coming out of NO in Katrina's aftermath. But I blame Bush's advisers for that historic gaffe more than Bush himself. Brownie sure made a nice scapegoat though, didn't he?

Turn about is fair play? During a national disaster? Are you hoping we'll see images of corpses left on the street, hungry people crammed into unfit shelters, people stranded for days, bodies carried from homes, anarchy on the streets? I don't know how to respond to that level of maturity about the issue.

By the way......hate to sidetrack the political bickering, but today all the models are projecting a major Nor'easter for next Tuesday-Thursday pretty much landing where Sandy did. Not as strong, and a colder core, but big on any other day. Looks for more snow potential but rain and wind on the coast. Still early in projections, but they are all coming together early like with Sandy.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/264092641216581632/photo/1/large

Came home from work today to see a bunch of "men" (read: college boys) loading an entire bed onto the roof of a Jeep. These wusses would rather pack up everything they have and leave the apartment behind, than just buy a five gallon bucket from Lowe's, a blanket and some ice for food.

What happened to being a man and solving your own problems? It only takes me about 30 minutes to bail my basement out every eight hours or so and I'm in the dampest part of the complex!

By the way......hate to sidetrack the political bickering, but today all the models are projecting a major Nor'easter for next Tuesday-Thursday pretty much landing where Sandy did. Not as strong, and a colder core, but big on any other day. Looks for more snow potential but rain and wind on the coast. Still early in projections, but they are all coming together early like with Sandy.

http://www.hpc.ncep....php?disc=pmdepd

https://twitter.com/...2/photo/1/large

Would be very unfortunate for those in the NE

So I did watch the whole Obama-Christie press conference live yesterday. I heard what I heard.

I just ate a snickers bar, so I'm much better now. :-)

NBC Nighltly News leading off comparing Staten Island to Katrina.. Here it comes...

Day three. Staten Island Borough Chief asks why city is preparing for Marathon while they're pulling bodies out of houses still..

This is going to boil over..

It's far out at least so hopefully a goof, but resources are already stretched beyond thin.

If it speeds up, the election could be a snowday.....that's an interesting angle as well.

They're saying it will turn out to sea. That was what the Baltimore weather was saying tonight.

So I did watch the whole Obama-Christie press conference live yesterday. I heard what I heard.

I just ate a snickers bar, so I'm much better now. :-)

NBC Nighltly News leading off comparing Staten Island to Katrina.. Here it comes...

Day three. Staten Island Borough Chief asks why city is preparing for Marathon while they're pulling bodies out of houses still..

This is going to boil over..

If their are any first responders still working on rescue efforts, this is a terrible decision by Bloomberg.