All About Natural Disasters

No power till tomorrow at midnight now. Called RG&E to see what the deal was and was told they have no system to keep track of what trucks and workers are where or what projects they're working on. Are you kidding me?

81 units out in this complex is the largest block in the county, and is being completely ignored.

You were one of the few really following the potential here.....when Bloomberg came out with this, I flipped. You can even reread the thread starting last Wednesday and see how this all went down and different attitudes.

Read these first few paragraphs and try not to puke. How can you blame people when this is coming from your leadership?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203922804578083410823954952.html

Maybe I'm missing something, but you do realize that this article was written Sat. and in his conference he'd indicated they would be making further decisions on Sunday (and that they did announce school closings and mandatory evacuations in the Sunday conference), right? If people watched Sat. and couldn't be bothered to tune in Sunday, knowing additional announcements would be made, then shame on them.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you do realize that this article was written Sat. and in his conference he'd indicated they would be making further decisions on Sunday (and that they did announce school closings and mandatory evacuations in the Sunday conference), right? If people watched Sat. and couldn't be bothered to tune in Sunday, knowing additional announcements would be made, then shame on them.

The Storm projection was the same on Saturday...and Friday...and Sunday...and Monday.....

If you watched his nonchalance at the conference, maybe it would make a difference.

He downplayed the entire thing until Cuomo went over his head at 8AM and said to get people out. Cuomo did a very good job of taking charge. You would expect the mayor of the most powerful city in the world to have more of a clue....but I guess not. People made fun of Jimmy Griffen saying to have a 6 pick and sit back......this was about 50x as serious and he he fluffed it off until the last second.

Do you think NY can evacuate safely in less than 24 hours?

The guy was borderline criminal.

Edit: Glad you came out pretty much unscathed. Just saw the other thread.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

The Storm projection was the same on Saturday...and Friday...and Sunday...and Monday.....

If you watched his nonchalance at the conference, maybe it would make a difference.

He downplayed the entire thing until Cuomo went over his head at 8AM and said to get people out. Cuomo did a very good job of taking charge. You would expect the mayor of the most powerful city in the world to have more of a clue....but I guess not. People made fun of Jimmy Griffen saying to have a 6 pick and sit back......this was about 50x as serious and he he fluffed it off until the last second.

Do you think NY can evacuate safely in less than 24 hours?

The guy was borderline criminal.

Edit: Glad you came out pretty much unscathed. Just saw the other thread.

I actually did see the press conferences Sat. and Sun. (for some reason we had a NY news station in the Dominican), but I just figured he was playing the typical "be calm, don't panic" leadership card. I do recall him saying something Sat. night about the rationale for not making the call on schools and transit for Monday yet being to avoid unnecessary financial stress on parents who would need to make other arrangements if their kids were off. I agree that NY probably can't fully evacuate in 24 hours, but honestly, given how many people tend to ignore such orders and stay behind anyhow, do you think it would have mattered if he'd signed the evacuation order on Sat.?

(And thanks.)

I actually did see the press conferences Sat. and Sun. (for some reason we had a NY news station in the Dominican), but I just figured he was playing the typical "be calm, don't panic" leadership card. I do recall him saying something Sat. night about the rationale for not making the call on schools and transit for Monday yet being to avoid unnecessary financial stress on parents who would need to make other arrangements if their kids were off. I agree that NY probably can't fully evacuate in 24 hours, but honestly, given how many people tend to ignore such orders and stay behind anyhow, do you think it would have mattered if he'd signed the evacuation order on Sat.?

(And thanks.)

Yes....again, this thing was known to be a monster coming. He played it off. There were 18 previous hurricanes this year I know I didn't feel the need to post about, and this one was so serious I posted about it 5 days before. Just like those that knew what a hit on New Orleans could mean were going crazy ahead of time.

I actually think the mayor of NO handled it better than Bloomberg. He got lucky this thing doubled it's speed the last few hours or else it would have been worse.

Yes....again, this thing was known to be a monster coming. He played it off. There were 18 previous hurricanes this year I know I didn't feel the need to post about, and this one was so serious I posted about it 5 days before. Just like those that knew what a hit on New Orleans could mean were going crazy ahead of time.

I actually think the mayor of NO handled it better than Bloomberg. He got lucky this thing doubled it's speed the last few hours or else it would have been worse.

If the thing hadn't double in speed in the last 2 hours, the surge wouldn't have risen so fast. That mother wouldn't have lost her 2 sons, and others probably would have been able to get to safety as the water rose more slowly. That failure of the models was lucky for no one. And the casualties per dollar of damage will be an order of magnitude at least lower than Katrina. That is a sign that human loss was mitigated compared to the storm's potential.

NYC didn't have to fully evacuate. It was a bit over 300,000 people that were at risk due to their elevation and location. 300,000 can be evacuated in 24 hours.

If I live one block from the ocean, and I hear the word hurricane, I'm not waiting for the mayor to tell me to leave.

I really think that the catagory ratings of hurricanes has made people complacent. They focus more on the number and forget that the thing to pay attention to is IT'S A HURRICANE.

If I live one block from the ocean, and I hear the word hurricane, I'm not waiting for the mayor to tell me to leave.

I really think that the catagory ratings of hurricanes has made people complacent. They focus more on the number and forget that the thing to pay attention to is IT'S A HURRICANE.

I completely agree with this. At landfall, there are things that matter a whole lot more than core windspeed. And that is all the 1-5 ratings are based on, core wind speed.

As was the case in New Orleans, not everyone has the resources to leave. This hit Staten Island. Working class folks living day to day, check to check. I'd find a way to leave, but please understand not everyone has the ability to do so.

But the mayor said...."We don't expect any hurricane type winds or surge" on Saturday at 8 PM......that's the point...he took it lightly and people stood down.

If the thing hadn't double in speed in the last 2 hours, the surge wouldn't have risen so fast. That mother wouldn't have lost her 2 sons, and others probably would have been able to get to safety as the water rose more slowly. That failure of the models was lucky for no one. And the casualties per dollar of damage will be an order of magnitude at least lower than Katrina. That is a sign that human loss was mitigated compared to the storm's potential.

No.....the speed of the storm increased to 28 MPH the few hours before landfall. It was projected to move through at 14 MPH. I'm not talking about wind speeds.....those performed exactally as expected. Again, go back to my posts the Wednesday and Thursday before the storm. It was what it was.

If it didn't speed up, NY would have had the worst of the wind twice as long. The storm core was long gone by the time the surge took over. It was supposed to hit at high tide.

It's the same reason Buffalo got spared. Cleveland got the 6+ Inches of rain and big time waterway flooding.

This isn't political. I'm praising Cuomo and saying Bloomberg was a clown.

By the way....my cousin is stranded in zone B without power, sewage, and his car is in parts unknow. He wasn't told to evacuate, but it's a disaster zone.

NYC didn't have to fully evacuate. It was a bit over 300,000 people that were at risk due to their elevation and location. 300,000 can be evacuated in 24 hours.

Well.....if you woke up at 8 AM Sunday to hear the change in decision from when you went to bed last night.....and had all your stuff packed and plans at the ready....you had 11 hours to evacuate becaue they shut down the transportation system at 7PM.

If you were a normal person who heard the mayor at 8PM the night before say...."We should be ok....this won't be like Irene last year.....we don't expect any hurricane winds or surge.....we should be able to help other areas and their people once the storm passes.....".......and you wake up at 10AM.....and maybe listen to a broadcast by noon......then have to get crap together and find somewhere to go as most places are rushing to prepare to shut down............

As was the case in New Orleans, not everyone has the resources to leave. This hit Staten Island. Working class folks living day to day, check to check. I'd find a way to leave, but please understand not everyone has the ability to do so.

One of the hardest things to do is abandon your home. I wouldn't blame any person who refused to leave. Being homeless is one of the most frightening feelings you can have.

Glad to see the race was called off. When the story broke that they had 3 generators in Central Park to heat and light the press tent that showed me how out of touch City Hall was. One of those generators was a backup. Meanwhile two hospitals shut down for lack of generators. It was reported that one generator could light 40 homes.

I get it is hard to turn your back on 340M, but people are in real trouble there. They should have postponed it until spring.

My prediction is that as soon as the power is restored in Manhattan, Staten Island will be forgotten just like certain poor wards were in New Orleans.

Bloomberg needs to go.

Glad to see the race was called off. When the story broke that they had 3 generators in Central Park to heat and light the press tent that showed me how out of touch City Hall was. One of those generators was a backup. Meanwhile two hospitals shut down for lack of generators. It was reported that one generator could light 40 homes.

I get it is hard to turn your back on 340M, but people are in real trouble there. They should have postponed it until spring.

My prediction is that as soon as the power is restored in Manhattan, Staten Island will be forgotten just like certain poor wards were in New Orleans.

Bloomberg needs to go.

I have no idea what they are going to do if this other storm hits this week as projected. NY/NJ needs to think about staging areas for residents or something. Any progress made in most places would start again from scratch if vulnerable.

...we always need someone to blame...

A city of 8 million+,.. has 41 deaths (so far),.. during the worst storm this area has ever seen,.. and the mayor needs to go.

k

He's not making sound judgements. How can you stand in front of the world and tell people that a race was more important than search and rescue? How can you provide power to a press tent over a hospital? He says the race won't divert resources, but hundreds of police officers are needed to block the roads. Can you think of something more important than road blocks they could be doing right now? He expended a lot of political capital on the race and was rebuked by both the Manhattan and Staten Island Burough Presidents.

Edited by wjag

Why on earth is Staten Island not a part of New Jersey? As often as I've been in that neck of the woods, I never once considered that. But looking at the map so many times over the last few days it really struck me. Was it the Dutch? Some early spat between the colonies? I gotta check this out.

Why on earth is Staten Island not a part of New Jersey? As often as I've been in that neck of the woods, I never once considered that. But looking at the map so many times over the last few days it really struck me. Was it the Dutch? Some early spat between the colonies? I gotta check this out.

We don't want it.