All About Natural Disasters

Hey D4rk, any power yet today? How's everyone else that's being affected?

Here in Elmira/Ithaca/Dryden it's just chilly and a constant drizzle, with a slight breeze now and then. Looks like the sun might peak out. This area of NY definitely was spared, and I feel blessed for that. I hope everyone in the affected areas are keeping safe!

No power here, either... Projected restoration is on Friday...

Finally going home today. We were supposed to fly from Miami to Philly Monday night, but obviously that was canceled so we've been stuck in the Miami airport the last two nights. Anxious to see how my house fared in the storm... seems like power never went out, but I'm guessing the stuff from my porch is all over the place and hoping my fence didn't take too much of a beating. Here's hoping the rest of you SabreSpacers fared well.

Stuck in Miami? Well, at least you had an ample supply of coke and hookers.

So, I poured the last bit of gas in the generator and probably have about 8 hours of electricity left. There is just no gas to be had anywhere and with the damage I've seen going to work, I don't see us having power before next week. I guess I'll ride the bike to work tomorrow, in case I have to siphon off the truck in order to have heat for the weekend. This frontier sh!t is for the birds. :)

Gotta count my blessings though, I still have a house, and the cable/internets still kickin'. Plus, my wife rocks (just don't tell her I said so).

So, I poured the last bit of gas in the generator and probably have about 8 hours of electricity left. There is just no gas to be had anywhere and with the damage I've seen going to work, I don't see us having power before next week. I guess I'll ride the bike to work tomorrow, in case I have to siphon off the truck in order to have heat for the weekend. This frontier sh!t is for the birds. :)

Gotta count my blessings though, I still have a house, and the cable/internets still kickin'. Plus, my wife rocks (just don't tell her I said so).

Keep at it dude, frontier stuff ain't that bad!

Edited by d4rksabre

My friend in Montville NJ said he wont have power for roughly another week and that the National Gaurd is currently stationed at every open gas station because of huge lines (2hour wait) and short demands. He said grocery stores in the area are pretty empty and people have flocked to open resturants causing 2-3hour waits there. Basically he calls it a cluster ***K and says its like living in a 3rd world country right now. Other than that he has food and water and as long as he doesn't run out of gas and can get to work, hes good.

be careful man and good luck

Who cares about looters anyway? If something is stolen, anyone with half a brain is just going to tell their insurance company that it was worth way more than it was and get a better replacement anyway. There are all kinds of looters.

That means you have electricity, right? You should be ok. Doesn't mean it's easy, but you should be ok. And keep rockin' your wife. Takes the mind off of stuff.

So Obama was in Jersey yesterday telling people they would "come back stronger". Am I the only one who gets bothered by this rhetoric? You have just gone through an incredibly destablizing event. Your house is gone, you're in a shelter, your bank account is taking it on the chin, your job may be gone. How does one come back stronger? At best, you are lucky to hang on to the threads of your life. It strikes me as such BS to stand up there and look at people whose life has just been decimated to say, you will be stronger. Meanwhile, he jumps back on his chopper and has all the accoutrements of his job, and these folks go back to the shelter and eat an MRE and worry about how they will get through tomorrow. You are about to enter a protracted battle with your insurance company over whether your damage is wind or water. Is it really that big a comfort to know that you can fill out a form to get a loan?

I'm also bothered by the reporting from yesterday. Instead of focusing on why Christie and Obama were at the shore, all the press can report on today is their bromance.

My thoughts are with everyone affected by this storm. In regards to Obama and the above comment( by Wjag ) I think he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in this situation especially in an election year.From my perspective as an outsider, I'm sure he was referring to how historically the American people are known to bounce back in the face of extreme conditions. But thats just my take.

Edited by bunomatic

Third link. Look at the cat pic. U relly think dat sh*t iz reel dawg?

You said (admitted) you were a reporter in a previous life. You don't still have the reporters suspicion or cynicism? Tweets show up about looting, and within an hour they're on a conservative blog, and linked on the Drudge Report. That doesn't seem a bit hinky to you?

You can't connect the dots? The right stoking deep-seated racial fear days before this election?

Edited by PASabreFan

In Obama's defense, it's sort of expected that the President goes to the destruction site and gives some kind of lip service. Anyone in the Whitehouse would have done the same thing.

I know they do.. I'm just sick of it.. It turns into a photo op for the President and little else.

So Obama was in Jersey yesterday telling people they would "come back stronger". Am I the only one who gets bothered by this rhetoric? You have just gone through an incredibly destablizing event. Your house is gone, you're in a shelter, your bank account is taking it on the chin, your job may be gone. How does one come back stronger? At best, you are lucky to hang on to the threads of your life. It strikes me as such BS to stand up there and look at people whose life has just been decimated to say, you will be stronger. Meanwhile, he jumps back on his chopper and has all the accoutrements of his job, and these folks go back to the shelter and eat an MRE and worry about how they will get through tomorrow. You are about to enter a protracted battle with your insurance company over whether your damage is wind or water. Is it really that big a comfort to know that you can fill out a form to get a loan?

I'm also bothered by the reporting from yesterday. Instead of focusing on why Christie and Obama were at the shore, all the press can report on today is their bromance.

I totally understand your first point. If I just lost my home the last thing I would want is somebody who has never met me telling me everything will be better!

I think your second point is a bigger issue though. How sad of a commentary on the state of our country is it that a Republican governor and Democratic president "playing nice" to help millions impacted by a natural disaster is a news story, let alone a major news story with several days of legs? How is this news? Shouldn't this be the bare minimum of what we expect our elected leaders to do? Truly sad, IMO.

What do you want to hear. "Wow, probably shouldn't have built all those houses so close to that big angry ocean. You're pretty much ###### for life now, it's gonna be bad forever. See you later!"

What do you want to hear. "Wow, probably shouldn't have built all those houses so close to that big angry ocean. You're pretty much ###### for life now, it's gonna be bad forever. See you later!"

I want him to do his j-o-b. I honestly don't see the value of him touring the scene of the destruction. It's all symbolic. His government is doing everything already. Yesterday was nothing more than a photo op.

I want him to do his j-o-b. I honestly don't see the value of him touring the scene of the destruction. It's all symbolic. His government is doing everything already. Yesterday was nothing more than a photo op.

If I'm in charge of a response to a disaster, I want to see the devastation. The press is going to ask him to say something, what do you want him to say?

In Obama's defense, it's sort of expected that the President goes to the destruction site and gives some kind of lip service. Anyone in the Whitehouse would have done the same thing.

Bush sent Cheney. Bush's helicoptor never landed in New Orleans and everyone killed him for it. The presidency IS symbolic. It's the president's job to re-assure. It's everyone elses to get stuff done. Obama had to do that yesterday.

Rather, the polls in these states confirmed what we already knew: that Mr. Obama remains the favorite in the Electoral College.

Mr. Obama is not a sure thing, by any means. It is a close race. His chances of holding onto his Electoral College lead and converting it into another term are equivalent to the chances of an N.F.L. team winning when it leads by a field goal with three minutes left to play in the fourth quarter. There are plenty of things that could go wrong, and sometimes they will.

But it turns out that an N.F.L. team that leads by a field goal with three minutes left to go winds up winning the game 79 percent of the time. Those were Mr. Obama’s chances in the FiveThirtyEight forecast as of Wednesday: 79 percent.

Not coincidentally, these are also about Mr. Obama’s chances of winning Ohio, according to the forecast.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/oct-31-obamas-electoral-college-firewall-holding-in-polls/#more-36981

Bush sent Cheney. Bush's helicoptor never landed in New Orleans and everyone killed him for it. The presidency IS symbolic. It's the president's job to re-assure. It's everyone elses to get stuff done. Obama had to do that yesterday.

I know I will not win this argument, but that is your expectation of his job, My expectation is for him to show more than 8 hours of caring in front of the cameras. If you really believe that is his job to do, why is he not in NYC today doing the same thing? Why is he not in West Virginia tomorrow? Why is he not in Delaware or Maryland (other than to sleep :-). Poor Connecticut, you don't get a crack at the President. Guess only Jersey matters for the Symbolic Presidency. Where is the great Symbolic President today? Why he is campaigning for his j-o-b instead of doing his j-o-b. Symbolic, why I say yes. Does it suck that he is the middle of a race? Why yes it does. But that IS the j-o-b he signed up for.

Personally, I think he can be more effective running things from DC than he can from fund raisers and campaign stops. He shouldn't be worried about Romney today, but that is exactly what he is.

And in case you think this is all an anti-Democratic rant, I still intend to vote for him.

I just expect way more than that circus act yesterday. The Presidency doesn't have to be Symbolic unless you let it be,,

Exactly. Symbolic displays are the name of the game.

I know I will not win this argument, but that is your expectation of his job, My expectation is for him to show more than 8 hours of caring in front of the cameras. If you really believe that is his job to do, why is he not in NYC today doing the same thing? Why is he not in West Virginia tomorrow? Why is he not in Delaware or Maryland (other than to sleep :-). Poor Connecticut, you don't get a crack at the President. Guess only Jersey matters for the Symbolic Presidency. Where is the great Symbolic President today? Why he is campaigning for his j-o-b instead of doing his j-o-b. Symbolic, why I say yes. Does it suck that he is the middle of a race? Why yes it does. But that IS the j-o-b he signed up for.

Personally, I think he can be more effective running things from DC than he can from fund raisers and campaign stops. He shouldn't be worried about Romney today, but that is exactly what he is.

And in case you think this is all an anti-Democratic rant, I still intend to vote for him.

I just expect way more than that circus act yesterday. The Presidency doesn't have to be Symbolic unless you let it be,,

What can he not do on AF1 that he can do in the WH?

I get all this, I still wonder what you want him to say when he is inevitably asked, "What message would you send to the people in NJ devastated by this storm?"

Your original complaint was that he said "We will rebuild stronger", my question isn't so much what you want him to do now, or yesterday, or tomorrow, but how you would have him answer that question.