Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Not that I need a job, but, I'd like a change of scenery, for lack of a better or more efficient way of putting it.  Seems, though, I either suck, have no idea what I'm doing, am out of touch, or killed my career by working for myself.  I can't get any action on about two-dozen resumes sent over the past several months.  WTF.  I wish we would have moved to Nashville...

This makes me think of the situation in my home right now.  The wife is miserable with her current job and more than likely will walk at the end of the year.  Who knows what it will be, but a career change may be in the works.  Fortunately we never touch her salary, so she'll be able to carefully weigh her options. 

Me?  I'm very happy with work except for one project.  It's supposed to account for 5% of my effort but the guy running it thinks he owns me and everyone else on the project and takes up more than half of our time each week.  Everyone outside of the doctors he works with are fed up with all of it and it's only a matter of time before it all blows up.  If this one ever goes away, the work life will be great.  If nothing else, a lot of people have been brought together by the complaints about this guy.

My company has fired around 15 people almost all in management, accounting.    Think they'll start in our operational departments as well to claming its for budget cuts.

lost around 40 % of our volume in cargo this month with two customers leaving, wich happens alot but always others who come back.  Thing is this won't help short term because they have to pay this people the wages of 2 years because they were with the company 25+ years.   

We've been on sale for 3 years now , This smells more like restructering the company for new owners.   On the bright side it seems they are firing people who made me think: WTF are they still doing here ?

I've been through similar stuff at four different companies (and eventually got laid off all four times, all in a five year period).  It's just a bad situation, no doubt about it.  I ended up cominig back to the first place that laid me off (and been back 18+ years now) so things have stabilized.  But in talking to people who were there the whole time, the layoff wasn't necessarily any worse than the crap people who stayed had to endure.

In my case, I was laid off the first time because I worked my way out of a job and completed the project I was working on (early and under budget) and they moved me to an area that soon after took heavy cuts.  Since I was the New Guy, I was one of them cuts.

And one of the layoffs was the result of the company being restructured just after it was sold from one holding company to another.  We tightened our belt before the sale, then the new owners told us to tighten it some more.  (As it turned out, my boss who was also the guy who hired and fired me, called me a month after I left to ask if I'd be a reference for him; he was fed up with the place and left as well.)

Edited by The Big Johnson

Some heavy stuff in here, I have nothing remotely comparable to complain about.In an effort to cheer people up, here's me playing a snippit of "Iron Man" on a toy piano that makes cat noises (It's a long story as to why this exists). I'm thinking about recording the opening to Metallica's "One" tonight.

I can complain about so many things surrounding the job thing, but I don't really wish to waste anyone's time.  I will say, though, that I find it the height of hypocrisy that, while on the one hand the social meme for a long time now has been about doing the right thing for children and doing things that benefit the family, yet when you arrange your career to tend to those very things, you essentially give yourself a career Scarlett Letter.

Not that I need a job, but, I'd like a change of scenery, for lack of a better or more efficient way of putting it.  Seems, though, I either suck, have no idea what I'm doing, am out of touch, or killed my career by working for myself.  I can't get any action on about two-dozen resumes sent over the past several months.  WTF.  I wish we would have moved to Nashville...

I hear ya. Sometimes things just get stale and it's time to move on.

Well, this thread is more depressing than usual today.

My complaint: torn labrum. Dislocated my shoulder Labor Day weekend, thought it was going to be okay because it improved a lot, but ultimately the progression just plateaued. Went to an ortho on Tuesday and he diagnosed, and did everything short of flat-out telling me to get the surgery done. Had an MRI to see the extent of the damage and make sure it's limited to the labrum, but barring surprising results, I'm looking at 3 months of hell. Just in time for winter! Which of course means I'm about to spend a bunch of money to pay someone to clear my driveway.

Snapped my leg playing hockey Tuesday night. That makes 3 injuries in the last three games I've played in that stupid league. Caught an edge 3 seconds into my first shift and my ankle went one way and I came down full weight on top of it. Waited an hour for the game to end so someone could take me to the hospital. Spiral fracture, right leg, fibula. 

No hockey for a year. No aerial arts for a year. I can't volunteer anymore. I went from 180 mph, feeling strong and finally physically capable to barely able to get around my goddamn apartment. I can't drive for 6-8 weeks. I'm in everyone's way now. They put me on percocet, which freaks me out. I'm trying not to take them but the stupid thing really hurts now.

There are good things, lots of people coming out of the woodwork, well wishers, a bit more sleep I badly needed. My dad and mom are finding ways to split time and come up and help ferry my crippled ass around. I just feel so guilty. 

Geez, guys -- too many people getting injured!

I think I've got a broken bone in my wrist from taking a dive on my bike a few weeks ago. Now I don't feel so bad. Hope you two get through it as painlessly as possible, that doesn't sound like fun.

Snapped my leg playing hockey Tuesday night. That makes 3 injuries in the last three games I've played in that stupid league. Caught an edge 3 seconds into my first shift and my ankle went one way and I came down full weight on top of it. Waited an hour for the game to end so someone could take me to the hospital. Spiral fracture, right leg, fibula.

No hockey for a year. No aerial arts for a year. I can't volunteer anymore. I went from 180 mph, feeling strong and finally physically capable to barely able to get around my goddamn apartment. I can't drive for 6-8 weeks. I'm in everyone's way now. They put me on percocet, which freaks me out. I'm trying not to take them but the stupid thing really hurts now.

There are good things, lots of people coming out of the woodwork, well wishers, a bit more sleep I badly needed. My dad and mom are finding ways to split time and come up and help ferry my crippled ass around. I just feel so guilty.

Snapped leg...is that like what Stamkos had? In any event, that sounds pretty awful.

Maybe we should start a Sabrespace injury report.

Josi: lower body injury, out indefinitely

TrueBlue: upper body injury, 3 months+

Sizzle: job satisfaction dislocation, month to month

I can complain about so many things surrounding the job thing, but I don't really wish to waste anyone's time. I will say, though, that I find it the height of hypocrisy that, while on the one hand the social meme for a long time now has been about doing the right thing for children and doing things that benefit the family, yet when you arrange your career to tend to those very things, you essentially give yourself a career Scarlett Letter.

Not that this'll help much if at all, but I admire you for putting family first and career second. Good on you.

Some heavy stuff in here, I have nothing remotely comparable to complain about.In an effort to cheer people up, here's me playing a snippit of "Iron Man" on a toy piano that makes cat noises (It's a long story as to why this exists). I'm thinking about recording the opening to Metallica's "One" tonight.

Have you considered doing anything about your left arm? Sorry if that's insensitive. Dude, it just doesn't match other one.

My condolences to those who have lost loved ones (both human and animal).  Saying goodbye is very difficult. 

Sizzle, in regard to your job search, a close friend was searching for a new job most of last year.  He sent resumes to several places in response to ads and never heard back. He just happened to meet up with a hiring manager (at a training seminar) for one of the positions he applied for.  She told him she never saw his resume.  Many places are contracting out the applicant screening process - those companies are using algorithms to filter out resumes that don't fit the particulars of a job well enough.  The problem is, my friend was more than experienced enough but that experience was not in the EXACT field the companies were looking for and they never forwarded his resume/application on to the hiring manager.

If you see a job you are really interested in, definitely submit your resusme/application through normal channels BUT, check into the company and see if you can also get a resume directly to an individual who has direct contact with the position you are looking at (a supervisor, recruiter, etc.) These days, it sometimes takes direct networking to land a job...

Edited by Sabre Dance

Thanks, folks.  She was 93 so she lived a long and full life, at least, but the manner of her passing was so sudden and unexpected, and I feel terrible that my dad wasn't able to see her again.  He hadn't seen her since June or July (before his surgery) because they hadn't wanted to concern her with his health problems since she had dementia and was getting more and more confused.  At least now they don't have to watch her slow mental decline.

Sorry to hear about all that bio. My gramma just turned 90, and is relatively good health, but obviously it can go fast. You just reminded me to give her a call and get dinner with her soon. Condolences to you and yours.

Feel better, Jo! Don't feel too guilty, if people are offering to help its because you've been a good friend to them in the past. 

Pretty sure you missed a note  :w00t:

Edited by wjag

This is trivial compared to my earlier complaint, but tonight my apartment complex was sponsoring a happy hour from 5-7pm at a tavern within walking distance of the place. I'm generally not big on meeting strangers and holding awkward conversation, but I figured it would be good to meet some of my neighbors so I'd planned to go. Got out of work later than I wanted, but got home around 5:30, grabbed my smaller wallet, and walked over. There's no separate area for residents, so I have no idea if the people at the bar are neighbors or random patrons, but the Bruins/Avs game is on so I sit down. Drinks included are the cheap stuff, so I asked for a Tin Cup whiskey with no ice. He goes to pour it and asks for ID, and I realize I left my license at the apartment. I try to explain, but the guy won't serve me. Ugh. Normally I'd be flattered, but under the circumstances it was just annoying and I left. I could've gone back, but didn't feel like walking over a second time to pay for a drink and watch a different hockey game with strangers vs a free drink and the Sabres by myself.

ARGH -- I've been delaying making payments on the bills due later this month because I'm still waiting for work to reimburse me for $5000 worth of moving expenses and am low on cash. I had a 0% balance transfer offer on my credit card that expired this month and was prepared to pay it off, and I didn't notice the offer expired 11/1 and not 11/14 (when my bill is due). That stupid oversight just cost me $260 in interest. :(

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Bio. This sort of thing is hard.

And yours, iTlnSn; I've been there, too, and it's tough losing a pet (especially one that has been part of the family for so long).

Condolences to all that have had losses recently.

Bio, 2016 HAS to be your year. Suck it up and get there. :) It has to be worth it. You'll be in #####in' Cowawado and can give us 1st hand updates on PR's personal implosion. :thumbsup:

My complaint: why the #### isn't this thread closed.

I've been through similar stuff at four different companies (and eventually got laid off all four times, all in a five year period).  It's just a bad situation, no doubt about it.  I ended up cominig back to the first place that laid me off (and been back 18+ years now) so things have stabilized.  But in talking to people who were there the whole time, the layoff wasn't necessarily any worse than the crap people who stayed had to endure.

In my case, I was laid off the first time because I worked my way out of a job and completed the project I was working on (early and under budget) and they moved me to an area that soon after took heavy cuts.  Since I was the New Guy, I was one of them cuts.

And one of the layoffs was the result of the company being restructured just after it was sold from one holding company to another.  We tightened our belt before the sale, then the new owners told us to tighten it some more.  (As it turned out, my boss who was also the guy who hired and fired me, called me a month after I left to ask if I'd be a reference for him; he was fed up with the place and left as well.)

Not really afraid of getting fired, but being owned by an investment company (wonder why the they call it that ) that sucks out all the money and them selling of assets of the company.

Basically its our Cargo department that has been stripped and sold while the passenger handling is the only thing they want to focus on.  Just wish it was done already.

Not really afraid of getting fired, but being owned by an investment company (wonder why the ###### they call it that ) that sucks out all the money and them selling of assets of the company.

Basically its our Cargo department that has been stripped and sold while the passenger handling is the only thing they want to focus on.  Just wish it was done already.

Yep. they should call them the Job Creators.

This is a little late, but my girlfriend for the third straight week wants to watch The Notebook.  My brain cannot handle anymore cliched "love stories".  

Tell her you want to watch the beautiful romantic epic "Die Hard" about a charming European who tries to woo a smart American business woman but has to compete with her cop ex husband for her hand.