Complaint Thursdays

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

LabattBlue

Claude, I am upset to hear of your situation with the furry family member. As hard as it is to recall, we went through a similar scenario. They bring so much to a family that they deserve the respect and love that you are giving. Keep at it and keep enjoying their company.

Josie, you've always seemed very level headed. I'm pretty sure you're the type that can gather her wits together and make it through this sort of thing without doing anything silly. Take it from a high octane/can't sit still type that has had several repairs, you can certainly do the time. Don't worry about the surgery either. Relaxation and breathing techniques helped me through most of the pain. Some help here and there from beers and whatnot. The narcotics are good for the worst of it. I'm not worried about you getting hooked. Level headeds rarely do.

A few weeks back, but I wanted to thank you for this. I think the highest compliment that can be given these days is a declaration of sanity.

I'll keep my complaint this week brief: my mum is up driving me around, which is wonderful. But she is having a complete mental breakdown. Breaks down sobbing while driving, has almost wrecked us a few times. Cannot handle expressways anymore suddenly. I feel terrible for her and have known something's wrong for years, but it all seems to be coming to a head here. It's equal parts tearing my heart out and stressing me out. She'll sit up and just talk and talk about... random usually negative things, when I badly need to be in bed (I'm still recovering from that surgery and can barely function past 9 pm). She gets mad at me suddenly for no reasons whatsoever occasionally too. Especially if I'm quiet while she's rambling, or if I start falling asleep while she's talking despite it being around midnight with painkillers kicking in. It's terrifying.  I don't know what to do. I recommended she get a professional to talk to and let her vent/listened and tried to help, but I hate hate hate that I'm looking forward to her going home in some ways. God I feel evil. 

Edited by Josie914

The in-laws have apparently planned a summer getaway weekend which involves renting a beach house in ME without once asking us for our thoughts.  They've got a place and price already set.  I'm glad to see my input is valued, especially given that we need to spend extra to fly up there... and of course securing the time off.

The in-laws have apparently planned a summer getaway weekend which involves renting a beach house in ME without once asking us for our thoughts.  They've got a place and price already set.  I'm glad to see my input is valued, especially given that we need to spend extra to fly up there... and of course securing the time off.

We've been married 23 years, in that time we did this once.  Same scenario, just a different state and for a week. My wife was bent for the year leading up to it. It's our money, our vacation time off.... how dare you impose your standards on us. 

Mrs. Racer had the *come to Jesus* talk as she calls it with Mum. Saved our vacation. We spent 2 nights just down the road, because if we stayed at their rental it would mean we would have to bunk with sister and brother in law. There where 16 people in a 5 bedroom home already. Mum though it would be all family friendly and cozy, FFS where in our 40's and 50's,   noooo!!.

In my world it's up to Mrs. shrader to want to be free of the parents nest and to have to make that call to her mom. It's tough. She's most likely not thrilled either and is not sure what to do. 

*Honey, I'm not thrilled or at all excited about going, but I''ll do what I have to do to keep the peace* . Is all I said when Mrs. R told me about the plans. Out loud anyways. I got lucky, I hope the same good luck for you.

We've been married 23 years, in that time we did this once.  Same scenario, just a different state and for a week. My wife was bent for the year leading up to it. It's our money, our vacation time off.... how dare you impose your standards on us. 

Mrs. Racer had the *come to Jesus* talk as she calls it with Mum. Saved our vacation. We spent 2 nights just down the road, because if we stayed at their rental it would mean we would have to bunk with sister and brother in law. There where 16 people in a 5 bedroom home already. Mum though it would be all family friendly and cozy, FFS where in our 40's and 50's,   noooo!!.

In my world it's up to Mrs. shrader to want to be free of the parents nest and to have to make that call to her mom. It's tough. She's most likely not thrilled either and is not sure what to do. 

*Honey, I'm not thrilled or at all excited about going, but I''ll do what I have to do to keep the peace* . Is all I said when Mrs. R told me about the plans. Out loud anyways. I got lucky, I hope the same good luck for you.

I feel youse.

My parents keep asking us to come visit them in Florida over the winter. Neither my wife or I want to go. My parents are nice and all, but from what I've seen of Florida it's an endless line of strip malls and golf courses between beaches. The NJ/DE/MD beaches are a really easy day trip for us, so it's not that big a draw, leaving golf (which we don't) and strip malls. We keep offering to have them come visit us but they mostly blow the idea off. It reminds me of this, if my parents weren't retired and I didn't have a toddler to manage for the trip.

http://www.theonion.com/article/parents-with-more-vacation-time-financial-resource-37103

Fun fact: the Paoli, PA location for the article is 3 miles from here.

Edited by MattPie

The wife certainly needs to grow a spine and stick up for herself, but that day is never coming.  I just try to stay the hell out of the way because I know I'm never winning this one.  It just amazes me how little my thoughts matter to them (and I'm being generous by saying how little).  Actually, I take that back, I am winning this one because no matter how much the meddle, I know who I'm sleeping next to each night.

A few weeks back, but I wanted to thank you for this. I think the highest compliment that can be given these days is a declaration of sanity.

I'll keep my complaint this week brief: my mum is up driving me around, which is wonderful. But she is having a complete mental breakdown. Breaks down sobbing while driving, has almost wrecked us a few times. Cannot handle expressways anymore suddenly. I feel terrible for her and have known something's wrong for years, but it all seems to be coming to a head here. It's equal parts tearing my heart out and stressing me out. She'll sit up and just talk and talk about... random usually negative things, when I badly need to be in bed (I'm still recovering from that surgery and can barely function past 9 pm). She gets mad at me suddenly for no reasons whatsoever occasionally too. Especially if I'm quiet while she's rambling, or if I start falling asleep while she's talking despite it being around midnight with painkillers kicking in. It's terrifying.  I don't know what to do. I recommended she get a professional to talk to and let her vent/listened and tried to help, but I hate hate hate that I'm looking forward to her going home in some ways. God I feel evil. 

That's a tough and scary situation, Jo, and horribly unfair that you're trying to deal with it while you're still on the mend.  I hope your mom can be convinced to get the help she clearly needs.  :(

My (lame) complaint:  this morning I get an email from my coworker saying that she will be out of the lab today.  Normally that's cool by me, but all day I've felt like a jackass when people say "Where's x?" and all I can say is, "I think she's sick?"  There's only two of us here, FFS.  Later today the same girl sends an email to the admin assistant to be circulated to our group, basically saying she's noticed people are still using her gmail and old work email address and would like them to start using the new work address so she doesn't miss anything.  The message she sent me this morning was from her gmail address to my old work email.   :doh:

The wife certainly needs to grow a spine and stick up for herself, but that day is never coming. I just try to stay the hell out of the way because I know I'm never winning this one. It just amazes me how little my thoughts matter to them (and I'm being generous by saying how little). Actually, I take that back, I am winning this one because no matter how much the meddle, I know who I'm sleeping next to each night.

More on this. Apparently the mother-in-law is trying to convince my wife to head up there without me for thanksgiving next year. It's nice to see how I'm viewed.

Edited by shrader

More on this. Apparently the mother-in-law is trying to convince my wife to head up there without me for thanksgiving. It's nice to see how I'm viewed.

shrader, I think I hate your mother-in-law. I can't even imagine. Seriously, the woman must have a redeeming quality. She has to, right?

Anyways, my complaint: Tomorrow is my super Friday. Three days off coming up. Normally that's great, except I have to work til 5am instead of my usual 2:30am. Yuck!

I bought a set of snow tires on wheels from an acquaintance who assured me that they were only a couple seasons old and in great shape. I figured $300 for a used set vs $1000 for new would be a fair tradeoff. The tread wear was good.

Evidently at least one is either out of round or on a bent wheel. I've had them re-balanced, I've rotated them, and yet I can't eliminate the road vibration.

Looks like I'll be spending that bribe from VW sooner than I planned and chalking a few hundred bucks up to the challenge of trying to be thrifty when broke. :wallbash:

Working on a group paper. Two of my group members have turned in what I would call freshmen in high school level garbage. One of them cut and copied an entire chart into the paper and cites it with the caveat, well it's concise.  No you need to re-write and interpret that information otherwise you are basically plagiarizing. I should be done with the semester but this crap show continues to roll on. I hate this group and I never want to work on a group paper again. Disgusted by the lack of caring and effort put forth by other group members.

Edited by LGR4GM

Working on a group paper. Two of my group members have turned in what I would call freshmen in high school level garbage. One of them cut and copied an entire chart into the paper and cites it with the caveat, well it's concise.  No you need to re-write and interpret that information otherwise you are basically plagiarizing. I should be done with the semester but this crap show continues to roll on. I hate this group and I never want to work on a group paper again. Disgusted by the lack of caring and effort put forth by other group members.

I remember having similar issues in grad school.  made me so mad that so many people were there that really didn't care, or had no clue what plagiarizing was at that age. Best of luck to you man

Group work at the academic level is consistently awful. I don't think I ever worked in a group project where I didn't end up doing all of the work myself because we were graded as a group, or let everyone else sink because grades were given for individual components. Being dragged down by others is the worst. 

My friend I've mentioned before, the one with the heroin using husband? She's in trouble. I guess he hasn't paid off his drug dues, and a bunch of drug dealers showed up at their house at midnight last night with guns.

She's still asking me if she should leave him.  I'm wondering if I can pony up enough money to tell her to get a damn apartment and I'll pay for it for a month or two. She'd probably never accept it. 

My mind is in overdrive about the things I could see happening with this latest development. 

I remember having similar issues in grad school.  made me so mad that so many people were there that really didn't care, or had no clue what plagiarizing was at that age. Best of luck to you man

I'm emailing the professor about everything and the peer evaluations won't be pretty.  This kid has 4 consecutive paragraphs that are 2 sentences each. You seriously couldn't expand upon that? 

Tomorrow I will be sharing some fantastic news so I just have to survive today... grrrr

My friend I've mentioned before, the one with the heroin using husband? She's in trouble. I guess he hasn't paid off his drug dues, and a bunch of drug dealers showed up at their house at midnight last night with guns.

She's still asking me if she should leave him.  I'm wondering if I can pony up enough money to tell her to get a damn apartment and I'll pay for it for a month or two. She'd probably never accept it. 

My mind is in overdrive about the things I could see happening with this latest development. 

Can you get her in touch with a counselor?  Or the husband?  Honestly they need help and if he won't change she has to leave. It sounds cold but you can't always save ppl from themselves and sometimes they will take you down with them. Your only option is to turn off that caring for them and put yourself first.

All you can do (which is a lot!) is talk and ask if there is any thing she wants you to do for her. Be a friend and listen.

Working on a group paper. Two of my group members have turned in what I would call freshmen in high school level garbage. One of them cut and copied an entire chart into the paper and cites it with the caveat, well it's concise. No you need to re-write and interpret that information otherwise you are basically plagiarizing. I should be done with the semester but this crap show continues to roll on. I hate this group and I never want to work on a group paper again. Disgusted by the lack of caring and effort put forth by other group members.

At least they put forth the effort to find a chart? The majority of my students just make statements they believe to be true without any evidence to support them. Granted, you should expect more out of grad students.

Can you get her in touch with a counselor?  Or the husband?  Honestly they need help and if he won't change she has to leave. It sounds cold but you can't always save ppl from themselves and sometimes they will take you down with them. Your only option is to turn off that caring for them and put yourself first.

I hear ya. I've been telling her to do that for awhile, but her excuses are time and money, which to be perfectly fair, are in very very short supply for her on both counts. Him... he was in an outpatient rehab for awhile. I'm not sure of his condition currently. I'm just scared I'm going to get a really bad call one of these days. 

All you can do (which is a lot!) is talk and ask if there is any thing she wants you to do for her. Be a friend and listen.

I do this when I can. Drove 7 hours home a few weeks back (before i broke the leg) just to take her out for an evening. I hope I can go home for Christmas this year and get her out of the house/away from stuff for another night. Even if I can't drive. 

God what a mess.