Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Brutal, weave, but on the plus side, you're 47 and you still have 3 of your grandparents.

That's a horrible situation, but common. If they are fighting over a poor 94 year old soul, just wait until there are any assets to divide. Sad, but true.

I agree. Never had a grandpa and had 1 grandma healthy until I was 8.

Mothers-in-law

I know what I just typed is plural, but thank god you only get one.

I feel your pain, brother.

Weave -- sorry about that. And I concur with 11 on the bright side. I was down to 1 grandparent by age 5, and I lost her at age 22. My kids are lucky to still have 3.

I feel your pain, brother.

Weave -- sorry about that. And I concur with 11 on the bright side. I was down to 1 grandparent by age 5, and I lost her at age 22. My kids are lucky to still have 3.

I also lost my last grandparent at age 22.

Fortunately, that is also when I got married so I adopted 6 new grandparents and 1 great-grandparent. We still have 4 of the grandparents and just lost great-grandma last year. We have this amazing photo of my oldest son at age 2 with his mom, grandma, great grandma, and great great grandma at her farm outside Knoxville.

I also lost my last grandparent at age 22.

Fortunately, that is also when I got married so I adopted 6 new grandparents and 1 great-grandparent. We still have 4 of the grandparents and just lost great-grandma last year. We have this amazing photo of my oldest son at age 2 with his mom, grandma, great grandma, and great great grandma at her farm outside Knoxville.

Awesome.

I don't post much family stuff, but I need to let this one out.

I am 47 and still have 3 of my grandparents. The oldest, my dad's mom, is 94. Sharp as a tack but frail isn't strong enough a word to describe her physical condition. She lives with my grandfather, 89, also physically breaking down but sharp, and my aunt, a 50 yr old lay about who works part time at a grocery store, does as little as she can around the house, and goes into her room and pouts when she doesn't get her way. My dad is retired, 69, but very active. He's a selfish SOB who never has stepped up to his responsibilities as the oldest child of elderly parents. My uncle, dad's other sibling, is in his mid 50's. He's by far the most responsible of the 3 kids when dealing with my grandparents. I live about an hour away from my family. My sister lives in the same town as most of the family. There, now the table is set.

Friday morning G-ma fell. G-pa took her to the hospital to get checked out. She was in alot of pain but no injury was found so she was sent home. I found out about it on Father's Day. 2 days after the fact. 3rd hand. My sister mentioned it in passing when she called to wish me a happy Dad's day. She assumed I knew and had no idea noone called. I saw dad later that day but elected not to say anything being we were at my inlaws house and Dad's day and all.

Tuesday G-ma fell again. This time she was in excruciating pain and off to the hospital they went again. A thorough check by the hospital staff found G-ma to have spinal stenosis, which likely resulted in loss of motor control and her fall. The pressure on her spine is causing her great pain and she is morphined up. Tomorrow she sees a spinal surgeon for a consult. Obviously, at her age and health surgery is not an option. Nursing home care is looking like a real possibility. So, guess when I found out about all this? last night. My sister called and told me. Who told my sister? Noone. She saw a facebook post my aunt made complaining about spending all day yesterday at the hospital. Dad, or anyone else for that matter, didn't find it important enough to call the only two grandkids that live in the fecking state. WTF?

So, sis finds out yesterday and heads up to the hospital. Gets the scoop from the family. Finds out Dad still hasn't seen his mom in the hospital. Yes, he knows she fell again and is in the hospital. And while sis is there, they are all talking about what happens next. Lay about Aunt announces to all that everyone is going to have to step up because she can't handle it. Sis has 3 kids and a full time gig. Unc is full time employed, is already taking care of two houses, and has his daughter and two grandkids living with him. Who the feck does aunt think can step up when she's the only one in the room without full time employment and a family? Aunt and Unc get into an argument over who is gonna wipe Gramma's ass when she needs it? All this in front of Grandma of course. My sister is mortified. My grandfather, whom I am closest to of anyone in my family, is stressed, and practically grieving. He knows there is a chance she may not be coming home. And he gets to listen to his grown kids, one of whom he's been supporting for all 50 years of her life, argue about caring for his beloved wife.

And to top it off, while sis is on the phone telling me this tale of family dysfunction, my dad walks into her house. He assumed she knew about Grandma's latest fall. Dad, how would I know? I thought you got a text. Who would text me? I don't know. Do you know that your son doesn't know either? I thought he knew. If you don't tell him who would? I don't know.

Now that I know, I'm stopping up to see her after work. Not sure I'll be able to keep my tongue in check if aunt or dad are there.

Distance helps. Alcohol helps. I'm not sure there is enough of either.

It's amazing to me how family can abandon their own in times of need. My family dealt with these very same issues when my grandmother was medically in need for years before she passed. Despite having two other siblings in the area my mother was the one left shouldering the workload. My uncle who lives in Georgia did more that the relatives who lived up the road. Then they cried foul when my grandmother wrote them out of her will!

We just recently started seeing my estranged uncle again because we found out he was basically handcuffed by his lunatic wife during the whole thing. But the other family? Good riddance to them. I hope they never find peace for abandoning my mother and grandmother when they needed help.

I would just say do your best to help your grandparents out. They're going to need whatever you can give. And if you don't think someone in your family is pulling their weight then tell them. If they don't want to help then write them off. Family doesn't abandon family.

It's amazing to me how family can abandon their own in times of need. My family dealt with these very same issues when my grandmother was medically in need for years before she passed. Despite having two other siblings in the area my mother was the one left shouldering the workload. My uncle who lives in Georgia did more that the relatives who lived up the road. Then they cried foul when my grandmother wrote them out of her will!

We just recently started seeing my estranged uncle again because we found out he was basically handcuffed by his lunatic wife during the whole thing. But the other family? Good riddance to them. I hope they never find peace for abandoning my mother and grandmother when they needed help.

I would just say do your best to help your grandparents out. They're going to need whatever you can give. And if you don't think someone in your family is pulling their weight then tell them. If they don't want to help then write them off. Family doesn't abandon family.

I with y'all on this. My older brother lives next door to my parents. Next door. My dad is partially paralyzed on his left side from a stroke and my mom is 5'4" and overweight. Simply put there are somethings she is incapable of doing. My Brother is an ###### to her constantly and she is a raging bitch to him constantly and neither thinks they should alter their attitude. My dad is insanely depressed about it and I feel guilty because I live 700 miles away in Georgia. In the past dad would referee btw the two but now he mentally and physically can't. I had stern words for both my mother and brother while home.

Perfect example: My parents have a well (country living) and they have a water softener that requires 40lb bags of salt to be poured into it. Usually takes a bag or two a month. THIS IS A REOCCURRING THING. Mom is impatient when she asks my brother to get the salt from the hardware store she is impatient when he doesn't take it into the cellar immediately and she is impatient when he doesn't add it to the softener precisely when she wants. My brother deliberately delays all these things because he is a man or some ###### and he does it on his time and isn't going to let mom tell him what to do. FML. O and the entire time this stupidity is going on they are warring around my poor father who is already depressed and this just upsets him more :censored: . Sorry end rant. I just dealt with this and I am pissed at how they behave. Little ###### kids.

Let me guess...the wife told her about your job offer and she's pounding her with a guilt trip?

She's relentless, but in a toddkaz trade rumor sort of way. She pounds her with reasons why she shouldn't go, but none of them make any sense and are completely selfish. Long story short, she still thinks she has complete control and say over the lives of all of her children even though the youngest is now 30 years old and they all live in a different state than her. The spouses of the other two are pushovers, but now she's finally run into a strong willed person in me who won't put up with her crap.

We're 4 days into to this now she has yet to say a single supportive word yet. What she doesn't realize is that in these actions, she's driving her daughter away. And I don't mean driving her away to NC, but something far more serious than that.

Edited by shrader

LOfreakingL

My shiftless aunt asked my sister this morning if maybe my mom could stop by and help a couple times a week. My parents divorced over 25 years ago. My mom sees my grandmother maybe once a year at family gatherings.

I may just lose my ######.

Interesting how much family stuff there is today. Must be the time of year. Even my wife and I had a pretty good dust up over her in-laws (yes, my family) this week. We realized it was just stress over our kid who was home sick all week making us crazy.

On a positive note, ten months seizure free. Now the complaint, Christie won't sign the bill allowing the dispensaries to sell edibles, so I have to spend hours and hours online learning how. I know way more about pot than I ever wanted to. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Interesting how much family stuff there is today. Must be the time of year. Even my wife and I had a pretty good dust up over her in-laws (yes, my family) this week. We realized it was just stress over our kid who was home sick all week making us crazy.

On a positive note, ten months seizure free. Now the complaint, Christie won't sign the bill allowing the dispensaries to sell edibles, so I have to spend hours and hours online learning how. I know way more about pot than I ever wanted to. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

I guess that's a good thing innit? Pot isn't entertainment for you, it's a necessity. That's powerful.

I guess that's a good thing innit? Pot isn't entertainment for you, it's a necessity. That's powerful.

Sure. Let's go with that. :devil:

I actually like learning about it, but I would definitely rather just buy edibles that are pre-made, and have been tested and I know exactly what I'm getting. It get's a little nerve racking using trial and error to adjust the dosage of medicine that we made because we have no idea what the actual levels of thc/thca, cbd/cbda, etc, are from batch to batch. It really is silly.

A cool side story. Because I'm pretty open about it, a guy at work who really isn't down with the pot thing told me that because he overheard me talking about it, started giving it to his 94 year old gramma because she lost her appetite and stopped eating. It's working.

Sure. Let's go with that. :devil:

I actually like learning about it, but I would definitely rather just buy edibles that are pre-made, and have been tested and I know exactly what I'm getting. It get's a little nerve racking using trial and error to adjust the dosage of medicine that we made because we have no idea what the actual levels of thc/thca, cbd/cbda, etc, are from batch to batch. It really is silly.

A cool side story. Because I'm pretty open about it, a guy at work who really isn't down with the pot thing told me that because he overheard me talking about it, started giving it to his 94 year old gramma because she lost her appetite and stopped eating. It's working.

That's one of the problems that arises when governments prevent the use of medical marijuana. I've been down this road myself, and it's just ridiculous. You also have to worry about your supplier, your supplier's supplier, etc., because there's no oversight. And of course, you have to be worried about being pulled over on the way home from wherever you bought the stuff.

It's completely ridiculous.

Marijuana should be entirely legal. No taxes on it period complete legalization. It really is a shame that it isn't. It's just like Howard Stern. If you dont like it dont listen, if you dont want to use marijuana dont but dont come down on the folks who want to listen or enjoy herb. "herb is a gift from the earth"

Marijuana should be entirely legal. No taxes on it period complete legalization. It really is a shame that it isn't. It's just like Howard Stern. If you dont like it dont listen, if you dont want to use marijuana dont but dont come down on the folks who want to listen or enjoy herb. "herb is a gift from the earth"

Why do you think the Pot should be be one of the very few goods that should be tax-free?

Why do you think the Pot should be be one of the very few goods that should be tax-free?

Also, Howard Stern isn't free.

Oof weave, that's a mess. I hope your grandmother heals up enough to go home and someone talks some sense into her kids.

Brutal, weave, but on the plus side, you're 47 and you still have 3 of your grandparents.

I'll echo this. At 34 I'm down to only one, and we don't have much of a relationship because she's lived half a country away most of my life.

My complaint: salivary duct stones suck.

Also, Howard Stern isn't free.

Didnt say he was. Brings me back to my idea... dont like em dont listen change the channel. dont want to puff dont puff dont infringe on those who want to. Alcohol highly addictive as it is can be purchased everywhere. All sorts of stores peddle it same as cigarettes. There are far worse things than herb that are purchased daily by the masses. But the powers that be want to place their morals on folks. As for tax free eff em . herb is a gift from the earth

No internet all day at work. Just came back up 15 minutes ago :(

That was us all day yesterday. We didn't get it back all day- I stuck stuff on a flashdrive that needed to be posted and did it at home. Productivity was at an all time low. Today it's also pretty low, because we're all rolling around in the magic of checking email like felines in a catnip patch.

Sorry to hear about all the family troubles. I also lost all of my grandparents- the last one passed when I was 20. Both grandfathers passed when I was under 10, and both grandmothers were very mentally ill. My maternal grandmother was a violent paranoid schizophrenic. Her passing was very difficult. She'd been a huge millstone on our lives, tearing people apart, hoarding, and abusing anyone who attempted to help her. They finally got medication into her (first time in twenty years or so) and suddenly there was this smart, interesting woman lying there, with years of regret. My other grandma passed with Alzheimer's, which was also very tough for everyone there. Family matters/uncles/distance didn't help. I'm glad those days are past and they're resting peacefully.

I wish closure to all those who need it. It's a sacred thing.