Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I offically hate the interview and negotiation process. After 4 interviews and what I thought was an understanding of what the value of my skills and the position held I was offered the position but the offer was a low ball. There was some negotiation, but they weren't budging much. Haven't heard back in 48 hrs now so I am assuming they are speaking with the other candidate that made it all the way through the process.

I'll be damned if I am going to undervalue 20+ years of experience.

Sorry my friend. One way of looking at it though is that if they are mistreating you at this stage it probably isn't the right place for you long term.

I'm not sure where this one belongs. I almost want to simultaneously post in this one and the awesome thread. I was up for a promotion that would have brought me a 10% raise. For the second time, that was rejected. They instead have given me a "Special Achievement Award" which comes along with $2500. I have no idea what to think on this one. It's part slap in the face, part pat on the back. Very odd.

Nice! Hopefully this takes the sting out of spending the extra $100 or whatever it was on the ipad as opposed to the kindle.

As for not getting the promotion, there are a bunch of possible reasons that have nothing to do with you -- e.g. they might want someone more senior, they could be considering eliminating the position, etc. Getting that bonus means they like you and want to keep you happy.

Holiday shoppers who huff and puff and grumble under their breath, or outright bitch loudly, about waiting in line. It's a week before Christmas and you're old enough to have gone through this before, so you know what you're getting into. If you don't like it either shop earlier or online, but for crying out loud, don't cry out loud!

Last Tuesday (12/10) I was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended. Guy hit me so hard the quarter panel buckled, the screws that hold the bumper on were driven into the tires, and it even opened my sun roof. The attending cop told me I'd get the other guys info in the police report, and didn't want me to talk to him. He said the police report would be ready no later than Friday. Finally got the report yesterday (after I personally bitched to the chief), only to find out the guys insurance lapsed (in NC it's illegal to not have auto insurance). My car has been stuck at the body shop accruing storage fees, and I've been paying out of pocket for a rental. I started treatment for my injuries, which so far has been good, but if my shoulder doesn't respond, then I may have a partially torn rotator cuff.

Oh, and a rock chipped the windshield on my rental.

Oh, and I also have a sinus infection and bronchitis, currently running a fever of 102.7.

#whitepeopleproblems

I know, I know lol

Last Tuesday (12/10) I was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended. Guy hit me so hard the quarter panel buckled, the screws that hold the bumper on were driven into the tires, and it even opened my sun roof. The attending cop told me I'd get the other guys info in the police report, and didn't want me to talk to him. He said the police report would be ready no later than Friday. Finally got the report yesterday (after I personally bitched to the chief), only to find out the guys insurance lapsed (in NC it's illegal to not have auto insurance). My car has been stuck at the body shop accruing storage fees, and I've been paying out of pocket for a rental. I started treatment for my injuries, which so far has been good, but if my shoulder doesn't respond, then I may have a partially torn rotator cuff.

Oh, and a rock chipped the windshield on my rental.

Oh, and I also have a sinus infection and bronchitis, currently running a fever of 102.7.

damn dude! Shouldn't they have noticed that his insurance lapsed on the side of the road?! and what happens now in terms of payments? you shouldn't have to be paying for any of this!

best of luck.

I seem to have several these days, so I'll highlight the important ones...

- People who bitch and moan about winter and live in the Northeast. For God's sake, stop whining about it...if you hate snow & cold so much, move to Florida.

- I seem to have bad luck with co-workers...I think the guy I work with is just cheap. He wouldn't donate to an annual holiday campaign (not even $1), he wouldn't help buy gifts for our Adopt-A-Family program unless he got the money up front, and he doesn't fill the shared company vehicle with gas if the needle is touching "E" when he's had the car all day. He must have gotten burned with a reimbursement issue at an old job or something. If he's destitute and broke, just say so...he loves to beat around the bush with sarcasm when we ask him about this stuff, too.

- My sciatica seems to have returned and I have to go back to physical therapy. I'd been doing all of the exercises they gave me and the pain seemed to be on its way out, but the pain and uncomfortable-ness came back right after Thanksgiving. I put off seeing the doctor long enough and he told me today to go back to PT. I know it's for the right reason, but I just wish the pain would stop. If it was happening all the time, that would be one thing...it only happens when I sit and when I'm driving.

I hope that's it. I'm taking time off of work during the holidays, so maybe I'll be less ornery come January. :beer:

Nice! Hopefully this takes the sting out of spending the extra $100 or whatever it was on the ipad as opposed to the kindle.

As for not getting the promotion, there are a bunch of possible reasons that have nothing to do with you -- e.g. they might want someone more senior, they could be considering eliminating the position, etc. Getting that bonus means they like you and want to keep you happy.

There's a lot of question marks floating around this place. My supervisor (the head statistician here) has been pushing for this promotion for a while now but it keeps getting rejected by the higher ups. She's stepping down from her position as soon as they find a replacement, so I have no idea if the new person will have any desire to make the same push. The only thing that will remain in place once she steps down are those higher ups who keep rejecting it. They'll be pushing me right out the door sooner or later if they keep this up.

I lost my cell phone a couple of weeks ago and have been deciding what to do. It's been great to not have one. So, I totally lucked out and got an old dumb phone from my nephew to activate on my account. We actually had Verizon guys in the building today, but they said it would be easier to activate online. Fine.

I go to their site, and apparently I've never set up a My Verizon account and can't activate my phone until I do. After putting in all my data, a screen comes up and tells me to put the temporary password into the box so I can continue, it has just been texted to my phone. :blink:

Not so much a complaint, as an "ewww":

I walked into the men's room at work yesterday. There's two urinals and one on the right is occupied. Being a dude I barely register the person (although they were wearing khaki pants and mostly white sneakers). As I'm uncoiling the earthworm, out of the corner of my eye the guy next to me making erratic movements with his head (the publicly-acceptable one). Being that it's rude to stare and a men's room I didn't turn to look, but the movements made me think he had palsy or something. Anyway, he finishes, then I do, and as I'm turning around he's spitting in the sink and holding a toothbrush. I really have a hard time believing it, but he was taking a leak and brushing his teeth at the same time in public restroom.

Super hot chick in accounting keeps asking me dumb questions laced with profanity. I think she feels like she is trying to connect with me because I look like the kind of person who might talk like that but in a professional setting I always keep it together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot water tank in garage is leaking/failing. Happy New Year to me. I have a plumber coming out this afternoon to get quotes on replacement options and I'm thinking of going tankless. Does anyone have a tankless water heater? Worth the extra cost?

I didn't get past your avatar and the word "tankless." Sorry. So what happened again?

Hot water tank in garage is leaking/failing. Happy New Year to me. I have a plumber coming out this afternoon to get quotes on replacement options and I'm thinking of going tankless. Does anyone have a tankless water heater? Worth the extra cost?

my funeral homes have tankless hot water heaters.... just finished replacing them. You need to be prepared for a much higher expenditure than you think they are pricey. Also be prepared for labor costs parts etc.... not to mention county permits to do the work.

I didn't get past your avatar and the word "tankless." Sorry. So what happened again?

Nice.

My hot water tank failing and going tankless = this thread,

The Sabres going on a run to nowhere (tankless season) = Nolan / new GM thread.

Tankless version of my avatar = Friday and/or awesome thread

Wait, I thought you had embraced the Tank? Can't have it both ways. ;)

Seriously, the cost-effectiveness of tankless DHW (domestic hot water) is linked to the size of your family and overall hot water usage. If it's only 1 or 2 people, or you travel frequently, it's probably cheaper to stay with a conventional tank water heater. However, if you do go with a replacement tank DHW heater, get the best energy factor (EF) available. Get at least an energy factor of 0.65. What that means - an energy factor of 0.65 means the DHW heater is basically 65% efficient overall - which is a combination of the burner's combustion efficiency, AND stand-by heat loss when the DHW heater is standing idle.

Edited by Jsixspd

my funeral homes have tankless hot water heaters.... just finished replacing them. You need to be prepared for a much higher expenditure than you think they are pricey. Also be prepared for labor costs parts etc.... not to mention county permits to do the work.

I'm prepared for the extra cost to an extent, my neighbor is a builder and he looked at my setup and thought that with the way my current tank is vented, gas hook up and electric outlet already there should help. Plus he called his plumber that he uses in the homes he builds so I should be getting his rock bottom price.

My father-in-law is in hospice care at his house as of 12/31 and we've been here since that day. Right now it is the mother-in-law, the sister-in-law, her two kids, the wife and I. These two kids (1 and 3) are demon spawn with zero discipline. They really shouldn't be here as they are hell on earth.

I'm about to make a pharmacy run and I really need to buy two muzzles and straight jackets while I am out. The kids are allowed to do whatever they want and in this situation they are impossible to deal with. He's trying to rest upstairs and the damn kids just scream and run around everywhere.

But hey, as I'm trying this one just fell down a couple stairs. I can't help but laugh a bit.

Sorry to hear about your father in law, but as you stated the kids just shouldn't be there. There is really no disciplining a 1 year old, and even a well behaved 3 year old runs around, gets into things and just makes noise in general.

I'm prepared for the extra cost to an extent, my neighbor is a builder and he looked at my setup and thought that with the way my current tank is vented, gas hook up and electric outlet already there should help. Plus he called his plumber that he uses in the homes he builds so I should be getting his rock bottom price.

I used the plumber I,ve relied on for many moons and still the price is quite a shock. I replaced 6 water heater in 3 of my homes, well my friend just be like a boy scout when it comes to dollars... be prepared. Hope all shakes out for you and it goes swimmingly

Wait, I thought you had embraced the Tank? Can't have it both ways. ;)

Seriously, the cost-effectiveness of tankless DHW (domestic hot water) is linked to the size of your family and overall hot water usage. If it's only 1 or 2 people, or you travel frequently, it's probably cheaper to stay with a conventional tank water heater. However, if you do go with a replacement tank DHW heater, get the best energy factor (EF) available. Get at least an energy factor of 0.65. What that means - an energy factor of 0.65 means the DHW heater is basically 65% efficient overall - which is a combination of the burner's combustion efficiency, AND stand-by heat loss when the DHW heater is standing idle.

I thought it was the opposite? More people, better with a tank. The amount of BTU's necessary to instant heat large amounts of water is much larger than the BTU's in a tank. (Father just got one)

STILL cannot shake this flu bug I've had for at least a week. Thought I was getting over the hump yesterday and today, back to being dizzy and sweating... Shaking, nauseous... I am really over this. On the plus side, it's great for weight loss... On the bad side of that, I've dropped below what's a healthy weight for me. I like being healthy and having energy, not lying around being able to see my bones because I can't eat or keep in food.