Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm unwilling to pick ip my life and leave all my friends here to be his long-term girlfriend.

God bless you - sounds like you're due for a better turn of fortune.

I agree with the sentiments expressed above. The concept of sunk costs is, to me, an apt one when it comes to these kinds of decisions. In economic terms, the idea is that you can't allow the amount of past investment (which you cannot recoup) dictate what you should do in view of present realities. That's easier to apply when it comes to a business - much harder when it comes to relationships. A cousin of mine, who's about your age, recently made an incredibly difficult decision to move forward from a relationship that just wasn't working; she did so in the face of massive sunk costs and her own resulting ambivalence. She made the right decision, and she's better for it.

Good luck, and, again, God bless.

Thanks, all. He was pretty broken up about leaving yesterday, so it's not unlikely he'll come to his senses later, but it would take a lot of convincing to have me move there. OKC is someplace I'd never felt compelled to even visit (much less live), and I won't agree to go unless we're solid and I'm sure I won't hate living there. So far the only positive thing I can come up with about it is that I'd have no concerns about NHL game blackouts with no hockey markets for hours! :P

I'd like to complain about the term "competitive juices." It is stupid and borderline disgusting. (see Buffalo News article about the Sabres from today)

...And, Bio. We're good at rationalizing what we should and shouldn't do, but I think true happiness comes from the subconscious. Don't try to "think away" what your subconscious is telling you (whatever that may be).

Thanks, all. He was pretty broken up about leaving yesterday, so it's not unlikely he'll come to his senses later, but it would take a lot of convincing to have me move there. OKC is someplace I'd never felt compelled to even visit (much less live), and I won't agree to go unless we're solid and I'm sure I won't hate living there. So far the only positive thing I can come up with about it is that I'd have no concerns about NHL game blackouts with no hockey markets for hours! :P

Wow. You're really strong to make the decision that you have. You have my sympathy and respect. Distance is tough but not a death sentence. It's a lot about attitude and it sounds to me like you have the right one :) I wish you two the best!

My complaint today... I'd done a logo that's going to be on TV on a nickelodeon show. This is a first for me, so I was terrified when I was informed that's where it would be eventually. It had been approved by all here (after days of work and lots of 1 pixel adjustments/insane attention to detail) and sent to nick who had one very tiny minuscule bit of feedback to change on it. Boss insists I start over from scratch and do as many versions as possible. Final is due at end of day (at this point in 2.5 hours). Art director and coworkers advise against it. Boss overrules.

He's not wrong- it certainly is a wonderful/necessary thing to do when exploring your best options, but there was just no time. I somehow managed to pull something out of my ass (not literally i swear) and it looks pretty great, but I much preferred the tweaked original. Married myself to an idea, had trouble bleaching my brain and starting over. I think bossman was testing me.

I shall now take my ulcerated stomach, brain aneurysm and heart attack home to tear into the next pile of high stress holiday work.

Thank god for beer.

Edited by Josie914

I scheduled a dr appointment for tomorrow. I don't frequent dr's. I've been having some lower right abdomen pain which I first thought was a muscle strain. Now, I'm thinking its something internal as its been over a month and it doesn't feel musculotal.

I haven't been to kind to my body over the years and I'm a little nervous. Of course, in the long standing inkman family tradition, I haven't told my wife.

I scheduled a dr appointment for tomorrow. I don't frequent dr's. I've been having some lower right abdomen pain which I first thought was a muscle strain. Now, I'm thinking its something internal as its been over a month and it doesn't feel musculotal.

I haven't been to kind to my body over the years and I'm a little nervous. Of course, in the long standing inkman family tradition, I haven't told my wife.

Good luck, ink... hopefully nothing serious.

Sounds kind of hernia-ish. Been there. I here the surgery these days has a much easier recovery these days.

The bf is currently stuck waiting out this winter storm at his parents' place in Lynchburg, VA (with 3 cats). The original plan got him to OKC late today or tomorrow, but with bad driving conditions expected he may not get there until Sat or Sunday. Hopefully the truck with all his belongings isn't delayed too much.

• 2 weeks later...

ripped a hole in my dress sock an hour into the day. :(

Also, somehow I lost 1 day of vacation in the last 3 months (The new time card lady added vacation onto two half days that I took, even though I (1) am salary and (2) put in 40 hours without the extra vacation added on). I can't get it back because of some blah blah blah mumbo jumbo too long ago now (she forgets to send out our time card info with our vacation on it regularly. I already told people I was going to be out on Monday (we have to work the 23rd), and there is no way I'm driving to Buffalo for Christmas parties over the weekend, driving 2.5-3 hours back to Ithaca to work, then 2.5-3 hours back to Buffalo for actual Christmas with my family, to drive back to Ithaca on Christmas evening. So I guess I'll be coming down with a case of the Monday's and will just get an unpaid day Monday.

I offically hate the interview and negotiation process. After 4 interviews and what I thought was an understanding of what the value of my skills and the position held I was offered the position but the offer was a low ball. There was some negotiation, but they weren't budging much. Haven't heard back in 48 hrs now so I am assuming they are speaking with the other candidate that made it all the way through the process.

I'll be damned if I am going to undervalue 20+ years of experience.

I offically hate the interview and negotiation process. After 4 interviews and what I thought was an understanding of what the value of my skills and the position held I was offered the position but the offer was a low ball. There was some negotiation, but they weren't budging much. Haven't heard back in 48 hrs now so I am assuming they are speaking with the other candidate that made it all the way through the process.

I'll be damned if I am going to undervalue 20+ years of experience.

good luck man! I wouldn't undervalue yourself at all.

I'm not sure where this one belongs. I almost want to simultaneously post in this one and the awesome thread. I was up for a promotion that would have brought me a 10% raise. For the second time, that was rejected. They instead have given me a "Special Achievement Award" which comes along with $2500. I have no idea what to think on this one. It's part slap in the face, part pat on the back. Very odd.