Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Oh I really hope I don't give d4rk shingles. Same virus. vsomethingerothervelociraptor-zoster virus. I remember my grandma having it- what a nightmare. I hope I don't get it later either. If I do, I'm pulling a Roose or Ramsay Bolton on my own hide.

Is there any kind of pre-emptive strike I can do against shingles? Should I be going to a doctor right now?

I don't think you can get shingles from her chicken pox. I think it has to be virus already hiding in your body.

Oh I really hope I don't give d4rk shingles. Same virus. vsomethingerothervelociraptor-zoster virus. I remember my grandma having it- what a nightmare. I hope I don't get it later either. If I do, I'm pulling a Roose or Ramsay Bolton on my own hide.

varicella zoster :)

I don't think you can get shingles from her chicken pox. I think it has to be virus already hiding in your body.

Yep -- my vague understanding is that it "hides" in your nervous system and can come back out of hiding as shingles. That's why it tends to follow a band / nerve where it reappears.

I've had shingles. Twice. The second time I called my doctor and told him what I thought it was because it was similar to the first time and he told me it's impossible to get it a second time but that's what it turned out to be.

I must have had mild cases both times because I would have described it as being "uncomfortable" and I'm no superhuman nor unusually resistant to pain. I'm 40.

Interesting. My sister had chicken pox twice- the second time was horrible- it was internal as well as external. My parents assumed it was because her immune system had been compromised by cancer and a couple years of chemo.

Shingles twice though... that's just evil. Even if it was mild.

I don't have much expertise on the virology of chicken pox / shingles, flu and RSV are more my game...

I did however contract chicken pox as an adult. I was 19 and got chicken pox right when I got back home from school for the summer...and I had them bad. I was literally covered from scalp to.....waist with them. It was odd, but I never had one pock below the 'ole mendoza line. It definitely sucked big time.

I don't have much expertise on the virology of chicken pox / shingles, flu and RSV are more my game...

I did however contract chicken pox as an adult. I was 19 and got chicken pox right when I got back home from school for the summer...and I had them bad. I was literally covered from scalp to.....waist with them. It was odd, but I never had one pock below the 'ole mendoza line. It definitely sucked big time.

Mine seem to avoid geographical areas as well. They won't go below the knees and are avoiding the neck up. And the tender lovely lady bits, thank god. But my arms, thighs, stomach and some of my back are a war zone right now. Bee-zarre.

I was at AccelCare in Henrietta on Jefferson Road. Hope whatever brought you there is doing better today!

haha d4rk was referencing this episode last night. I've never seen it. Changing that now :) I'm slathered in calamine at the moment. They gave me some fun chalky horse pill that'll kill it from the inside, too.

Ah, I was on Transit. Hope you get better quickly as well!

First complaint was that the snow plows had knocked two feet of snow into the entrance, so when we turned in, we were stuck for 20 minutes or so, even with people pushing. Not the best place for something like that to happen. We did end up being lucky however, I was taking two close friends who rolled their car without seatbelts on, to get checked out, and all was clear. Very very grateful for that.

First complaint was that the snow plows had knocked two feet of snow into the entrance, so when we turned in, we were stuck for 20 minutes or so, even with people pushing. Not the best place for something like that to happen. We did end up being lucky however, I was taking two close friends who rolled their car without seatbelts on, to get checked out, and all was clear. Very very grateful for that.

Oooh dear. Glad they're ok. I hope they learned their seatbelt lesson, though!

#1: I didn't get in on 11's thread, I'm a jerk. Sorry man. I did take your advice last night though, gave my family a big hug.

#2: I haven't had a cup of tea in a few days. I know this seems like an odd one, but this is the first week I've been back in the office after working from home for the last 2.5 weeks. I got used to the relaxation of making some tea; there's a a nice process to it and settles my mind before the caffeine kicks in. I don't even have any bags here for the latter part of that equation.

I've had shingles. Twice. The second time I called my doctor and told him what I thought it was because it was similar to the first time and he told me it's impossible to get it a second time but that's what it turned out to be.

I must have had mild cases both times because I would have described it as being "uncomfortable" and I'm no superhuman nor unusually resistant to pain. I'm 40.

My doc told me I can, and most likely will, get them again at some point. Unfortunately there is an immunization for it but you have to be over a certain age to get it. There isn't enough of it to go around and the priority is for seniors to get it.

I had my outbreak IN my right eye. It left scar tissue on the lens that affects me today. No way I want it a 2nd time.

It is possible that it is related to your "grumpy-old-man" factor rather than simple chronological age. :D

Shut it you. Truth hurts.