Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Last week after the home inspection my toilet started ghost flushing.  I've replaced the flapper before and that's no big deal, but the toilet is 20 yrs old and the fill tube was getting brittle, so I figured it'd be smarter to just replace everything since they have kits for only $20.  Did that on Sunday, and it was a little time-consuming but got everything re-assembled and congratulated myself on a job well done.  Later noticed a slight leak around the bolts, so I took it apart again and re-tightened everything more (the directions make you paranoid about over-tightening and I'd not done it enough).  Put it back together, problem fixed.  Except no, now there's a slow constant leak around the flush valve gasket.  Ugh. Took it all apart again last night, tried to tighten the lock nut just a little bit more (which is difficult with channel pliers because they don't open quite wide enough to get a firm grip), put it back together, tighten the bolts just a little more, and hope for the best.  Nope... STILL have a slow leak around the gasket at the base of the tank.  I have no idea if this "universal" kit just doesn't work with my toilet or I just can't tighten that GD lock nut enough with channel pliers, but dammit I'm tired of messing around with this stupid effing toilet when I have a million other things to do to finish getting my house ready for listing next week!!  Why, oh why didn't I just replace the flapper instead of fixing something that wasn't broken?   :(  I don't even know what brand of toilet it is to look for a specific replacement since the only markings are "Made in Chile" and none of the stamped numbers match any model on plumbing supply websites.  ARGH.

And I still don't have a start date for the new job... HR only just posted the position yesterday and I applied, but still waiting for them to go through their idiotic steps.

Edited by biodork

Back on Memorial Day weekend we bought a 4 piece sectional couch and scheduled a delivery for 6/21.  About a week before that date we got a call saying that one of the 4 pieces was on back order and couldn't be delivered until 7/4.  Instead of getting a couch with one piece missing, we re-scheduled the full delivery to 7/7.  Fastforward to this week, when the delivery truck showed up, all they had for us was that one single piece that was originally on back order.  Throughout this entire process, their customer service has been next to impossible to get in touch with.  They have incredibly long periods where you're placed on hold, and then when you do get through, you wind up getting disconnected.  After a ton of waiting, they eventually told my wife that the other pieces are now on back order.  Hmmmm, maybe you should have called to inform us of that instead of delivering the single piece.

We do eventually need more furniture for the house, but it's safe to say we will be dealing with a different store when that time comes.

I'm going to suggest you just go out and buy yourself a Weber Genesis.  Not the Spirit model.  Genesis.  They aren't cheap, but they aren't grossly over priced either.  They are the only grill that I am aware of not priced in the stratosphere that simply don't rust.  I've had mine for over 13 years.  Use it year round.  Sits outside on my deck uncovered regardless of weather.  Still has all of the original parts.  Ignitor, burners, trays, etc.  They simply last.  Might cost you 3-4x what your respectable grill cost you, but it will also last as long or longer than any other appliance you own.

Is there something specific you don't like about the Spirit?  I'm curious b/c it's a $300 jump from roughly $400 to $700 to go from Spirit to Genesis and I was just about to order a Spirit from Amazon!

They seem very similar in construction in the important ways, such as porcelain enameled flavorizer bars, stainless steel burners, and so on. 

We have a great independent, old school grill store in my area.  The dude only sells grills and grill parts.  He was telling me the other day that Weber is now the only grill company left in existence that actually offers and sells spare parts for grills.  The rest are made to be thrown out basically.

I have a long standing tradition of using Weber; just curious why you seem opposed to the Spirit line.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Is there something specific you don't like about the Spirit?  I'm curious b/c it's a $300 jump from roughly $400 to $700 to go from Spirit to Genesis and I was just about to order a Spirit from Amazon!

They seem very similar in construction in the important ways, such as porcelain enameled flavorizer bars, stainless steel burners, and so on. 

We have a great independent, old school grill store in my area.  The dude only sells grills and grill parts.  He was telling me the other day that Weber is now the only grill company left in existence that actually offers and sells spare parts for grills.  The rest are made to be thrown out basically.

I have a long standing tradition of using Weber; just curious why you seem opposed to the Spirit line.

The lower price point of the Spirit line is because it is made in China of lesser quality materials.  The material set that will last 10-15+ years is in the Genesis and Summit lines.

My father in-law just bought us a Weber Spirit as a wedding gift, and I have no complaints thus far through a few weeks of use. I'm definitely interested in the discussion and why you think the Genesis is far superior weave.

The lower price point of the Spirit line is because it is made in China of lesser quality materials.  The material set that will last 10-15+ years is in the Genesis and Summit lines.

So my father in-law is a cheap bastard then? :nana:

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Nothing like not being included on a project and then asking me why said project is behind. Well maybe you should have included me instead of assuming I would magically do something I wasn't originally included in. 

The back of the houses on my side of our street border a farm field. We and our neighbors put up fences in 1997. Never had any correspondence with the farmer. We just received letters from the lawyer of the estate of the farmer, who died and whose property went to his sons, that our fences are about 3 feet on their property and they want them moved. Odds are they want to sell the land for a housing development.

Given that the lowest estimate to move the fence is $2000 per house, and that no claim was made in 18 years, we are going to consult an attorney about the NYS law of adverse possession. If you build on someone's property (which was not intentional in this case, we gave our property maps to the fence company when built), and they do not make a claim within 10 years, the law says you become the owner of the property. We still have the original receipt showing when the fence was built.

The back of the houses on my side of our street border a farm field. We and our neighbors put up fences in 1997. Never had any correspondence with the farmer. We just received letters from the lawyer of the estate of the farmer, who died and whose property went to his sons, that our fences are about 3 feet on their property and they want them moved. Odds are they want to sell the land for a housing development.

Given that the lowest estimate to move the fence is $2000 per house, and that no claim was made in 18 years, we are going to consult an attorney about the NYS law of adverse possession. If you build on someone's property (which was not intentional in this case, we gave our property maps to the fence company when built), and they do not make a claim within 10 years, the law says you become the owner of the property. We still have the original receipt showing when the fence was built.

You should be in the clear then. My dad's property had the same thing with the local high school's land and because it was past the year threshold (and done by the previous owner) he was in the clear.

Then again the school wasn't suing or pursuing legal action, just acknowledged the fence was in the wrong spot and moved on. 

You guys should be fine.

Discovered a hornets neat the hard way yesterday: with my face

One of my first memories is my dad running out of the woods in our backyard, swinging his shirt around his head because he ran over a nest of ground bees with the mower. I found it hilarious.

Last week after the home inspection my toilet started ghost flushing.  I've replaced the flapper before and that's no big deal, but the toilet is 20 yrs old and the fill tube was getting brittle, so I figured it'd be smarter to just replace everything since they have kits for only $20.  Did that on Sunday, and it was a little time-consuming but got everything re-assembled and congratulated myself on a job well done.  Later noticed a slight leak around the bolts, so I took it apart again and re-tightened everything more (the directions make you paranoid about over-tightening and I'd not done it enough).  Put it back together, problem fixed.  Except no, now there's a slow constant leak around the flush valve gasket.  Ugh. Took it all apart again last night, tried to tighten the lock nut just a little bit more (which is difficult with channel pliers because they don't open quite wide enough to get a firm grip), put it back together, tighten the bolts just a little more, and hope for the best.  Nope... STILL have a slow leak around the gasket at the base of the tank.  I have no idea if this "universal" kit just doesn't work with my toilet or I just can't tighten that GD lock nut enough with channel pliers, but dammit I'm tired of messing around with this stupid effing toilet when I have a million other things to do to finish getting my house ready for listing next week!!  Why, oh why didn't I just replace the flapper instead of fixing something that wasn't broken?   :(  I don't even know what brand of toilet it is to look for a specific replacement since the only markings are "Made in Chile" and none of the stamped numbers match any model on plumbing supply websites.  ARGH.

Just to clarify are you saying the leak is OUTSIDE where the tank/bowl join or is it leaking INSIDE around the flapper and running into the toilet itself?

If it's outside where the tank and bowl meet one thing you might want to try is to tighten up the bolts/wing nuts/whatever evenly.  I had this problem a year or so ago and what I found out was that one side was tighter than the other so the gasket wasn't compressing equally.

If it's inside and the flapper isn't sealing the flange at the bottom of the tank there are replacement flappers that are much better than the ones that come in the kits.  You want to get one where the rubber/plastic is VERY soft so that the water pressure presses down hard enough on the flapper to make a seal.  You can also clean the flange with some fine sandpaper or steel wool to clean off any imperfections that might be causing the flapper not to seal.

Eventually I had to replace the whole dang toilet but these tricks got a few more months out of it.

Just to clarify are you saying the leak is OUTSIDE where the tank/bowl join or is it leaking INSIDE around the flapper and running into the toilet itself?

If it's outside where the tank and bowl meet one thing you might want to try is to tighten up the bolts/wing nuts/whatever evenly.  I had this problem a year or so ago and what I found out was that one side was tighter than the other so the gasket wasn't compressing equally.

If it's inside and the flapper isn't sealing the flange at the bottom of the tank there are replacement flappers that are much better than the ones that come in the kits.  You want to get one where the rubber/plastic is VERY soft so that the water pressure presses down hard enough on the flapper to make a seal.  You can also clean the flange with some fine sandpaper or steel wool to clean off any imperfections that might be causing the flapper not to seal.

Eventually I had to replace the whole dang toilet but these tricks got a few more months out of it.

Can we move this to the Toilet Talk thread?

Discovered a hornets neat the hard way yesterday: with my face

Ouch. Hope you're not allergic!

Just to clarify are you saying the leak is OUTSIDE where the tank/bowl join or is it leaking INSIDE around the flapper and running into the toilet itself?

If it's outside where the tank and bowl meet one thing you might want to try is to tighten up the bolts/wing nuts/whatever evenly. I had this problem a year or so ago and what I found out was that one side was tighter than the other so the gasket wasn't compressing equally.

If it's inside and the flapper isn't sealing the flange at the bottom of the tank there are replacement flappers that are much better than the ones that come in the kits. You want to get one where the rubber/plastic is VERY soft so that the water pressure presses down hard enough on the flapper to make a seal. You can also clean the flange with some fine sandpaper or steel wool to clean off any imperfections that might be causing the flapper not to seal.

It's definitely outside, I tried the food coloring thing and there's nothing transferring to the bowl. And it's a slow enough leak that the water level isn't dropping noticeably.

I can actually see it coming around the top of the gasket at the base of the tank.

The little I know.

Adverse possession was written in the time of William Penn. When he owned almost the entire state of Pennsylvania settlers would stake claim, build a homestead and make a go of it.  Penn simple strong armed them off the land and claimed the homestead back. They made laws to prevent this. 

Secondly, surveying for much of our countrie's property claiming was not an exact science. If you hired a surveyor and laid out the property and built accordingly, the surveyors may have been off a few feet so it is also a form of adverse passion. 

Lawyers will talk of the intent of the law (see latest Obamacare supreme court ruling), the intent of adverse passion is not to have people lose their lively hood or house or other valuable structures due to land barons and an inexact science.

Did you have your property surveyed and have property stakes in for the fencing company?  I suspect the attorney will ask you to have your property surveyed before he can give you any sound legal advice. If your deed shows the fence on your property you have a chance of winning. But if their deed out dates your deed, good luck.

Remember that the neighbor has a deed and can pursue this in court, and unless you and all the neighbors join together the cost of defending your self will easily exceed $10,000. It may be more than who is right or wrong, but how much are you willing to pay to defend the fence and how much the farmers estate is willing to pay to have the fences removed.

Edited by Woods-Racer

My father in-law just bought us a Weber Spirit as a wedding gift, and I have no complaints thus far through a few weeks of use. I'm definitely interested in the discussion and why you think the Genesis is far superior weave.

So my father in-law is a cheap bastard then? :nana:

From everything I've heard from a couple freinds that own them, the Spirits are a sound design, and good performing grills, but the stainless steel used is a lower grade, and so are the materials in other parts too so, While good now, is less likely to be a good grill 15 years from now.  cover it, and care for it, and it probably be fine for longer than a Home Depot special.  I wouldn't call your FIL a cheap bastard.  Weber is still a good grill.

One of my first memories is my dad running out of the woods in our backyard, swinging his shirt around his head because he ran over a nest of ground bees with the mower. I found it hilarious.

I just got done ripping on my dad for running into the thing, and then the next day I went and did the same exact thing  :doh:  :lol:

Ouch. Hope you're not allergic!

I honestly don't know. I came back in with hives all over my body, so I guess I might be, though maybe that's just how hornet venom is? 

Sorry to hear about the house and work delay bio, I hope everything works out! 

Edited by WildCard

Employees that I am responsible for, coming to work all messed up on hydros, nodding in the middle of working. It's a freaking mess. Can't do a thing about it because my company is anti drug test,and security is of the opinion that "they're not that bad."

FFS, I know a drug addict when I see a drug addict. I'm a well versed expert!

Get em in rehab, get em help, get them the hell away from me when they are messed up. They are impacting my livelihood.

Employees that I am responsible for, coming to work all messed up on hydros, nodding in the middle of working. It's a freaking mess. Can't do a thing about it because my company is anti drug test,and security is of the opinion that "they're not that bad."

FFS, I know a drug addict when I see a drug addict. I'm a well versed expert!

Get em in rehab, get em help, get them the hell away from me when they are messed up. They are impacting my livelihood.

What are hydros?

Happy Thursday.

Ever since I took on a board position at the horse rescue, I've learned a lot more about our situation. We're much lower in funds than I thought, and the lady who pretty much runs everything is taking a leave of absence due to exhaustion and deep depression. 

One of our residents is a mid 20s TB/Morgan gelding named Deacon. Some time last year, at the old barn, the who owned the farm brought out a farrier who idiotically cut his hooves too short. Picture an ingrown toenail/the soreness if you cut a nail too short- now imagine that's your only point of contact to hold your considerable weight (he's a huge horse). He started having some severe problems immediately, and the idiots denied it ever happened/was their fault. It was the final straw that made us leave.

Fast forward to now, Deacon has suffered never ending leg/feet problems, despite being perfectly healthy prior to this. The inflammation is so chronic that we are going to have to put him down. His vet bills alone are costing us 4k, 400 a month on food/medicine due to his size and age, we only have 3.5 k, and we're still 5k behind on fencing. No one's going to adopt him in this condition, and we could probably keep him alive for a few years, if only we had the money and he wasn't in pain.

We're a no kill shelter. We've only ever put down one horse before, and she was dying of severe founder/laminitis anyways. This is falling under mercy/quality of life. I feel so utterly awful. I love this guy, he's the sweetest, most stately horse. I love working with him. Two weeks ago he looked great. And now we're scheduling euthanasia. It's just tearing everyone's heart out. 

Our little guy just doesn't want to come out already.  My wife's due date was this past Monday and now we have Induction set up for this coming Monday at 9am.  It's like the weird calm before the storm.  In 4/5 days I will help her through labor and then it's sleepless night after sleepless night.....When we had our first we could do the whole sleep when the baby sleeps thing but I donno how this is going to go with the second.  How do you experienced moms and dads survive multiple children?!  Atleast I'm only taking two weeks off as work may become my sanctuary :P A two year old and a newborn is going to be a handful.....