Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

100% agree.  There is another variation of it too:

-You have the cruise control on, you are gaining on someone in front of you.  Your cruise setting is about 5mph faster than what they are doing.  You approach them, change lanes, but as you are passing them, they speed up.  You have to speed up more and more as they do so, finally going 10 or more MPH faster than your original speed to compete the pass.  You clear them and pull back to the right lane. After ALL that, they seem to go back to their original speed and you start to pull away from then again as they fade into the distance behind you.

I think 50% of the time it is just people being total jerks.  But part of me wonders if the other 50% of the time, there is something in a driver's head that when they see someone pass them, it is an instinct, not a thought but just a reaction that makes them speed up?

Not sure, all I know is it is annoying and can be dangerous in certian situations.

I think they are afraid of speeding. They get the courage if they know that someone else will get the ticket. Once you pass, they get scared again and slow down. My theory, anyway. Would still like to see them all spin out into a fiery wreck in the rearview mirror.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, French Collection said:

I can’t believe this either. My trade pays similar money and requires on call and unplanned overtime for storms and trouble. That is a deal breaker for many people, they just want to work 40 hours. Double time means nothing yet they have huge mortgages to pay. They would rather have time off than money. I realize there needs to be balance in life, I worked way too much, hoping to provide a better life for my family. The purpose of the job is to provide an almost essential service to people, electricity. A lot of people I see working crazy hours are retirees, earning extra money but taking pride in keeping the lights on. There are many companies specializing in power restoration, staffed by retirees.

There's a lot of issues at play that reduce the available workforce pool that we wrestle with for this line of work (linemen/gas/utility workers) that contribute to "kids these days!". 1) Public schools no longer have shop classes. Kids don't get 2-5 years of building an aptitude for mechanical work, problem-solving, and the opportunity to hone a craft on the side, or learn skills they might not be able to practice at home, even if they stink at chemistry or whatever. I also lament losing music/art classes in school too, because similarly it reduces that opportunity to hone a craft and providing dedicated time at school to it free from life/family time. 2) Screen-time/immediacy. Everyone has a phone and everyone has apps for entertainment, which gives instant access and gratification. Kids are conditioned for years to think a minute out, not 5 years, or 30 years (and retirement) out. 3) Screen-time; quick cuts. Really like 2b, but the instant access is also reflected in pacing and cuts in every single media outlet. Especially in electrical work, you need to stay cut in for extended periods otherwise you can get killed or get your coworker killed, and young brains aren't being conditioned to focus intently on the same thing with situational awareness for extended periods. That said, the positive is they can multi-task and schedule/plan and coordinate things really really well. 4) People are getting married older instead of early 20s (even late teens) and needing to provide a good salary immediately for a family. It's a lot easier to selfishly think about that new car, mortgage, (craft beer!), and hanging with other unmarried/untethered friends when you don't have a family to support. And that means you want a similar schedule to them, storm pay be damned. 5) Working outside is tough; and being a lineman is a whole bunch easier when you're 6'2"+ and a strapping stud.  There are a ton more factors in the reduction of the work pool and interest... but there's a lot of social conditioning that makes money less important and a skill/craft-based person more difficult to attain/retain. And yes, these are all generalizations on the populace as a whole.

And I say all this with the addendum: I don't like having to work more than 40 hours a week, either. Particularly when there are Sabres games or the weather is nice out or when work can be more efficiently done and you don't need to spend extra time dawdling on stuff.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:36 AM, Contempt said:

If only there were a massive group of people trying to to get into the country that were more than happy to work at whatever job was available.

And there's this. I'm not an immigrant, but like many, my great- great-s were. They lived the American dream and "made it" to varying degrees. When they arrived, they worked whatever they could and learned the skills they needed and new language(s), etc., and probably had to deal with a bunch of garbage from the existing residents. (And they still deserve a competitive wage so that their kids can also live the dream and their great-great grandkids can get become the "kids these days who don't want to work".) Human motivation is an amazing way to help everyone around you, even the folks who don't want to see you helping them.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think I would make a career as a State trooper by only writing tickets to people that stay in the left lane when the right lane is wide open. Idk if people are clueless, or if they think that they are the authority on speed and do it intentionally. I don't see this issue driving around parts of Europe, Northern Canada and etc, so I think it's semi attitude based. Just let me set my cruise and I will gladly get to the right when I have space. 

Oooh its an issue here too, 3 years ago they actually started fining for left lane drivers when right lane is open.

Also though Trucks are only allowed on right lane here, so no one is feeling all to happy driving in between trucks either.

I was going to volunteer for the PGA at Oak Hill next May for 4 days, driving in daily from Buffalo area.  Got an email today that I am can pick my schedule.  Only one problem…as a “volunteer”, you must purchase a volunteer clothing package consisting of two golf shirts, a jacket, and a baseball cap.  Cost… $278. 😱 

Thought it would be fun, but didn’t realize there is a large cost to me. Now reconsidering.   

WTF. 😡

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Shocked 2

Found out the reason why it took 2 hours to get from Batavia to Pembroke last week was also the reason most all on ramps have Check Your Vehicle's Height signs recently.

Apparently the truck w/ the top sheared off was a Ryder rental that turned out to be a bit too tall to get under all the bridges.

Grrrrr.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I was going to volunteer for the PGA at Oak Hill next May for 4 days, driving in daily from Buffalo area.  Got an email today that I am can pick my schedule.  Only one problem…as a “volunteer”, you must purchase a volunteer clothing package consisting of two golf shirts, a jacket, and a baseball cap.  Cost… $278. 😱 

Thought it would be fun, but didn’t realize there is a large cost to me. Now reconsidering.   

WTF. 😡

Try to snag a spot as a valet driver for the golfers(if that's still a thing.) The tips will more than make up for the $278 out of pocket. 

Source: My pops drove the boys from the hotel to the course about a decade ago. (Not at Oak Hill, though)

2 days ago my wife was rushed to the hospital from her routine doctors appointment because they thought she was having a stroke. I met the ambulance at the ER and we got triaged and into to CT for a scan. Meanwhile, as the nurses and neurologists are running us(running me, wheeling her) all over the hospital, there's a guy trailing right behind me. Not a doctor, not a nurse. Button up tucked into his slacks, carrying a notepad kinda thing. The docs and nurses get her into the CT scan and now I'm sitting in the hallway with this guy. He introduced himself as the chaplain, and now I'm absolutely seething. Mother *****, I will knock you the ***** out. You leave me the ***** alone! I've probably been in the ER 3 dozen or so times in my life, never seen a chaplain or a priest ever. You show up now? Today's not the day and I'm not your *****in guy! So after I've made myself clear that the chaplains services will not be needed, my wife comes out of the CT scan and her first words are "oh hey Dave!" Of course she knew the chaplain.

So we get back to her bed in the hallway of a very overwhelmed ER. She gets hooked up to every machine imaginable and then we wait for an MRI. The CT scan came back clean in the meantime, and the chaplain has left me alone. 6 hours later, MRI time. It's clean. No stroke! Rushed to the hospital at noon, didn't leave til 10 pm. 9 hours and all we know is it wasn't a stroke. But we do know that it definitely wasn't a stroke. So I'll take that as a positive. As of today she is ok, and I'm no longer threatening to kill clergymen. I guess this could go in the Awesome thread.

42 minutes ago, ubkev said:

2 days ago my wife was rushed to the hospital from her routine doctors appointment because they thought she was having a stroke. I met the ambulance at the ER and we got triaged and into to CT for a scan. Meanwhile, as the nurses and neurologists are running us(running me, wheeling her) all over the hospital, there's a guy trailing right behind me. Not a doctor, not a nurse. Button up tucked into his slacks, carrying a notepad kinda thing. The docs and nurses get her into the CT scan and now I'm sitting in the hallway with this guy. He introduced himself as the chaplain, and now I'm absolutely seething. Mother *****, I will knock you the ***** out. You leave me the ***** alone! I've probably been in the ER 3 dozen or so times in my life, never seen a chaplain or a priest ever. You show up now? Today's not the day and I'm not your *****in guy! So after I've made myself clear that the chaplains services will not be needed, my wife comes out of the CT scan and her first words are "oh hey Dave!" Of course she knew the chaplain.

So we get back to her bed in the hallway of a very overwhelmed ER. She gets hooked up to every machine imaginable and then we wait for an MRI. The CT scan came back clean in the meantime, and the chaplain has left me alone. 6 hours later, MRI time. It's clean. No stroke! Rushed to the hospital at noon, didn't leave til 10 pm. 9 hours and all we know is it wasn't a stroke. But we do know that it definitely wasn't a stroke. So I'll take that as a positive. As of today she is ok, and I'm no longer threatening to kill clergymen. I guess this could go in the Awesome thread.

Yeah, my wife has been to the ER having anaphylactic reactions a bunch of times. She keeps surviving. Total drag. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Glad you didn't kill the priest.  The paperwork on that can be overwhelming.

Also, glad your wife didn't have a stroke.  Hope it was just one of those really flukey 1 time things and nothing serious.

Agree w/ you, it probably is better placed in the awesome thread.

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

I apologize if this is incredibly poor taste, but I was really hoping that story would end it "turns out she was just drunk".  I was also expecting the chasing guy to wind up being an ambulance chaser.

I'm glad she's ok and that you don't have any pending criminal charges due to Dave.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Anxiety attack?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Happy to read she is now ok.  I had an experience somewhat similar to this once, my wife had an anaphylactic reaction, I thought I was going to lose her.  

My wife is an RN and has been with many patients right to their end, and she see so many that die alone.  Because she shared some stories with me, I know that my wife would be comforted by a priest/clergyman if ever in a life-threatening situation.   

This could be a learning moment for you.   My guess is you were having a major anxiety attack, which is understandable.   My wife and I have had that conversation on the inevitable end game, including all the planning that goes with it.  It is not an easy topic to discuss and work through, but it is worthwhile for couples to have it.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Happy to read she is now ok.  I had an experience somewhat similar to this once, my wife had an anaphylactic reaction, I thought I was going to lose her.  

My wife is an RN and has been with many patients right to their end, and she see so many that die alone.  Because she shared some stories with me, I know that my wife would be comforted by a priest/clergyman if ever in a life-threatening situation.   

This could be a learning moment for you.   My guess is you were having a major anxiety attack, which is understandable.   My wife and I have had that conversation on the inevitable end game, including all the planning that goes with it.  It is not an easy topic to discuss and work through, but it is worthwhile for couples to have it.  

My wife very much agrees with you. She says "the doctors and nurses are here for me and the chaplain is here for you." I don't argue with her about it. If I asked for a priest that'd be one thing, but I'm not down with having a random stranger try to comfort me. I'll call my mom if I need comforting. All he was doing was taking me from scared out of my mind to pissed off beyond belief. Dave, you ain't a Doctor and she ain't *****in dying today! Now please let me read about every type of stroke and possible treatment so I can tell the doctors and nurses how to do their jobs! (I'm the worst!) 😛

Edited by ubkev
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• LabattBlue locked this topic
  • spndnchz pinned, unlocked and unpinned this topic

People yelling or 'acting up' to get attention.

Politicians who yell at rallies, does that actually change peoples mind?

Commercials where the person trying to sell me something is yelling at the camera (just saw one where woman is trying to tell me how great some cleaning product is and shes face first right in front of the camera talking at 90+ decibals)

Not quite yelling, but the 'old guy' at the store who is talking to one person (usually about what he thinks is wrong in society) but gets louder and louder to make sure that EVERYONE around hears exactly what he is saying.

Just loud, yelling, in your face attitudes....enough already.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I have 4 sports teams that I care about.

They have collectively lost their last 12 games.

I refer to myself as “the sinker”.  Seems that no matter who I choose to root for(even in a game I just randomly flip to), that team almost always ends up losing.  😂

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I refer to myself as “the sinker”.  Seems that no matter who I choose to root for(even in a game I just randomly flip to), that team almost always ends up losing.  😂

Anybody else up for contributing to a Go Fund Me account to get Blue to become a Bruins fan?  😉

• Haha (+1) 1