Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Lost my mom yesterday, only 67 years.   Had a bleeding in her brain on 4 december.   First weeks she could stil move and talk but after that it just got worse.  
I learned a lot , too much about the human brain in 2 weeks.

Left side of brain was completely gone, and right side 60 % gone, we had to take her of life support and let her go.   Going to miss you mom 😞 

One thing I did notice, a lot of lonely people in hospitals, 6 beds in our ICU ward and always same 3 that had visitors everyday.

Sorry for your loss.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

F**king Blizzard coming tomorrow...30-36" snow expected on top of a whiteout from Friday - Sunday morning. Merry Christmas to WNY.

37 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'm so jealous. I was up in WNY last weekend and the snow rejuvenated my soul.  A legit Christmas blizzard? Sign me right up.

Me too.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Lost my mom yesterday, only 67 years.   Had a bleeding in her brain on 4 december.   First weeks she could stil move and talk but after that it just got worse.  

Left side of brain was completely gone, and right side 60 % gone, we had to take her of life support and let her go.   Going to miss you mom 😞 

One thing I did notice, a lot of lonely people in hospitals, 6 beds in our ICU ward and always same 3 that had visitors everyday.

Sad to hear this news. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

And yes, hospitals can be horribly lonely places for some patients. I've spent 35+ years watching the family dynamics play out with sick family members. Makes you wonder how the species has survived. 

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

All those stories that the airlines placed in the news--the ones about unruly passengers (who probably were driven to madness by the airlines themselves)--have led to further inequity, as well.

Did you get your bag?

Yes! Amazingly it showed up 5 days after we got home. More amazingly, everything was still in it. Okay, not really so amazing.... it was loaded with dirty clothes. 

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Such a tragic loss especially during the holidays.  So very saddened at your loss.  You & she will be in our prayers.

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Condolences, it is a tough time of year to lose a loved one.

Take care.

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Sorry for your loss. If I've learned anything from the loss of a loved one is it doesn't get better like some people think. It gets easier.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Thanks guys, but basically the reason I not been around much GDT since early december.  Been living like a zombie for 3 weeks and I expect a few more.

This is not a fun time of the year to lose someone and I know that from personal experience.  God bless you and your family. 

4 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Yes! Amazingly it showed up 5 days after we got home. More amazingly, everything was still in it. Okay, not really so amazing.... it was loaded with dirty clothes. 

Wash yo' *****.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

There are 7 million able bodied American workers not looking for a job. They'd rather be complaining online about having to make their bed.

Last report I saw put the number at more like 2 million. The labor force participation rate is 62% which is about 1.5% off where it was pre-COVID.  You can get the the 7 million number by counting the 5+ million people who want a job but who haven't looked for one in the last 4 weeks or are currently unavailable to take a job.  One reason a person might be "unavailable" to take a job would be that they are caring for a child or another person such as an ill parent.  My sister would fall into this group.  She would love to work but she's not able to because she cares for my niece who has special needs.  There are many people in that situation.  Appropriate child care is either not available or is so expensive that it makes no sense to work because you'd spend your whole salary on paying for child care. Extrapolating that out further, there are a lot of people who have re-evaluated their living arrangements post-COVID.  They had to rearrange their lives when child care was closed and they realized how much they were actually paying for it in time and treasure.  When everything opened back up they elected not to send their kid back to day care and became one-income families. This isn't the same thing as sitting as home doing nothing and, frankly, is the model quite a few people have advocated for for quite a long time. The difference is, this time, a greater number of the people staying home with the kids are men which still carries a stigma.

FWIW the labor force participation rate in the 1950's, which seems to be the end all and be all of American society in people's minds, was between 58 and 60%.  What that means is there is a higher percentage of "able bodied Americans" working now than then despite the narrative that young people like to sit home on their *****. 

IMO, the places I've noticed labor issues are at crappy jobs or for companies that jerk their employees around by not offering fair wages or reasonable numbers of hours.  For example, a business near me has been advertising for jobs since COVID began.  The problem is they only offer people 8 hours a week and they try to fill the hours with 3 people at 8 hours rather than 1 person at 24 hours.  Working 8 hours a week in a retail environment isn't even worth your time to do.  After taxes it will barely pay for the gas you need to drive to work so why do it?  If the business offered those 24 hours to one person rather than 3 a person could come much closer to surviving.  Why is it they don't offer people 40 hours for those kinds of jobs? Because the business doesn't want to offer healthcare.  Basically we have a labor shortage in certain areas because people refuse to be treated like garbage right now and certain businesses refuse to treat their workers ethically.  There was once a time where a person could get a full-time job as a cashier in a grocery store and work in that store for 30 years. and then retire with a pension  They wouldn't get rich, but they'd make a living.  Now the store won't do that.  It had become cheaper for them to make their staff a disposable commodity.  There once was a time where businesses offered training for new hires. Now businesses have an expectation that you'll have all the necessary skills and 5 years experience on day one, they then complain when those people don't exist. 

Another example, substitute teachers.  I haven't seen a substitute teacher in nearly 3 years.  Not one. Why? Because it's a garbage job that pays next to no money to do.  For the money they pay to do the job, a person with a degree can get a host of other jobs that don't come along with taking abuse from children as a side perk.  My district pays $105 for a 7.5 hour day.  $14 an hour with no benefits.  Any person who is qualified to be a sub is also qualified to be a paraprofessional in the building.  A paraprofessional makes ~$16 an hour, gets benefits, and in many cases signing and retention bonuses not to mention the stability of knowing that you are working everyday and where. Why be a sub?  Is there a labor shortage for subs?  Sure, but it's not because young people are sitting at home. It's because retirees aren't doing it anymore and it doesn't pay enough for anyone else to afford to do it. It's also a sucky job. I did it briefly 15 years ago when I was in-between gigs and I'd never do it again.

Places that treat their people well don't seem to have too many issues getting people.  Good jobs fill themselves most of the time.

Edited by Contempt
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

As of yesterday, all the Christmas music on the radio(both FM & Sirius) had already disappeared.  Can’t keep going just through NYE?  Maybe consider not starting to play it in early November. 

What is Dec 29?  4 days after Christmas.  Christmas is over.  Back to your normal programming.

Of course, the same reasoning applies before Dec 25 as well.

#Grinchmode

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Got to Ski 2 days this week and may try to go today a bit, BUT, this ridiculous cycle of a blizzard followed by a massive thaw is ridiculous. 

It's going to be like 55 this week, if we're gonna deal with this crap weather, at least stick around for those of us that like outdoor winter activities. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Got to Ski 2 days this week and may try to go today a bit, BUT, this ridiculous cycle of a blizzard followed by a massive thaw is ridiculous. 

It's going to be like 55 this week, if we're gonna deal with this crap weather, at least stick around for those of us that like outdoor winter activities. 

Mother Nature is just making room for the next "generational" snowstorm.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Welcome to January skiing in the Northeast. It's a thing and it has been for all 35 years I've been skiing. There are good days and bad days. February is the most consistent, but to be honest, March is the best ski month. 

• Like (+1) 1

My complaint - The cost of living. 

I just did my 2022-23 Punch Family financial review.  Looked closely at where the dollars went in 22, compared it 2021, projected the budget for 2023.  

Now bear in mind I am looking at it from a recently retired guy point of view.   Everything - Food, utilities, services, insurance, travel, entertainment, and especially healthcare and drugs - all had significant cost increases.   Savings accounts all had significant decreases.  

I don't have to worry much about kids, clothes, schools, and all that stuff it takes to raise a family, I did that already.  I feel for the younger folks raising a family should these trends of the past few years continue.

I sure hope we can get the economy on a better track soon.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My complaint - The cost of living. 

I just did my 2022-23 Punch Family financial review.  Looked closely at where the dollars went in 22, compared it 2021, projected the budget for 2023.  

Now bear in mind I am looking at it from a recently retired guy point of view.   Everything - Food, utilities, services, insurance, travel, entertainment, and especially healthcare and drugs - all had significant cost increases.   Savings accounts all had significant decreases.  

I don't have to worry much about kids, clothes, schools, and all that stuff it takes to raise a family, I did that already.  I feel for the younger folks raising a family should these trends of the past few years continue.

I sure hope we can get the economy on a better track soon.  

The economy is booming, a part of why we have inflation.

I don’t think we really want it to recede.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

The economy is booming, a part of why we have inflation.

I don’t think we really want it to recede.

People have gotten used to the years of Fed money being pumped into the economy at 0-2% interest rates. Things get out of wack when the yield curve inverts. Fed governors feel like they have to fix it and therefore just add more pain and suffering for those who can least afford it. It's going to take a little work to get it straighten out again. Hopefully by mid-summer at the latest. 

Funeral today, picked some songs for them to play during it.   Somehow they messed it up with the sound system,played everything in wrong order, unable to turn it off in time when needed.     if it wasn't my moms funeral it would be comical.    Hope she had a good laugh with dumb and dumber wherever she is.

Going to miss you mom, bugging me about working to many nights, that I have to go see my nephews more, the dry humour we both shared.   The ***** amazing food you cooked that I keep failing at 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3