Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Took one my dogs to the No Appointment Necessary Clinic today to get his shots updated. The line was 95 people and 65 dogs deep. 

***** that!

I'll make an appointment with his Vet for tomorrow, pay $45 more dollars and save my *****in sanity. 

$100 to wait in line for 2 and a half hours? No way!

Florida.

I'm repeating that one from earlier in the year (the last time we went there), but my complaint, after a 5 days of staying with relatives there is just Florida.

-Strip plaza after strip plaza with a few car dealerships mixed in between the bail bond and firearm stores. 6 lane divided highways. New subdivisions with $500,000-$1m homes that have no backyards and are so close together they practically touch each other. Sidewalks on only one side of the street that you can't walk on becaue no-one has basements so their garage is their storage and they park 4 cars in the driveway blocking the sidewalk. 100% hummity every morning. Drivers who cut across 3 lanes of a highway wile driving over 20mph over the speedlimit. Monster trucks (its a status sign down there, buy the biggest truck you can, add a lift kit, get crazy big tires, but never, EVER let it see a trace of snow, sand, or offroad dirt.) Crime (2 times in 5 days the walmart down the street had police there for incidents) In-laws and relatives who are trying to convince you to move down there (yes, we will BOTH quit our jobs and pick up and move here) when all you can think about since being there for 10 minutes it not being able to set foot out of that state. The food (water is awful, and in the past 2 years we went to 3 'authentic' mexican restaurants that ALL 3 had refried beans that were obviously served out of a food-service sized can)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My company with regard to days off/vacation days.

A decade ago, we got 12 paid holidays per year (including 'floating' optional days.)  As of this year, we now get a total of 8.

Years ago were were told "you earned your vacation, enjoy it".   A few years ago it changed to "you earned your vacation, enjoy it BUT you must schedule it very far in advance or we may not approve it"  Now as of this year it has turned to " you earned your vacation time, but there are 6! (six) blackout weeks that you can't take it...our customers pay the bills and we have to be available when they want us to be!"

There is also something that some are figuring out (doesn't impact me directly but I still think it stinks).  New hires at entry level positions making more money, sometimes noticably more than exisiting employees that have been there for a few years.  Existing employess CAN get a raise, but they are very small.  "Sorry, no money in the budget for that" is the answer.  But if there is an open position in a territory that needs to be filled, a brand new hire, wth no experience, no special skills can get paid a good amount more than an existing employee who has been there for a couple years.   I get it, they are couning on the exisiting employee not wanting to job jump to get more, maybe not KNOWING the new hire is making more, but it still isn't right.  "Job retention" gets a smaller budget than the budget for "filling new positions".

The problem is, most exisiting employees DO find out about this...and they they simply care less about their jobs.  Instead of giving them the raise to at least 'keep up' with the new hires....what they often get is an employee who becomes 20% or more less productive, who does 'just enough' to keep their job, who doesn't work any extra days...because they were told as an exisiting employee they are 'maxed out' on the pay scale.

Edited by mjd1001

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

A decade ago, we got 12 paid holidays per year (including 'floating' optional days.)  As of this year, we now get a total of 8.

Years ago were were told "you earned your vacation, enjoy it".   A few years ago it changed to "you earned your vacation, enjoy it BUT you must schedule it very far in advance or we may not approve it"  Now as of this year it has turned to " you earned your vacation time, but there are 6! (six) blackout weeks that you can't take it...our customers pay the bills and we have to be available when they want us to be!"

There is also something that some are figuring out (doesn't impact me directly but I still think it stinks).  New hires at entry level positions making more money, sometimes noticably more than exisiting employees that have been there for a few years.  Existing employess CAN get a raise, but they are very small.  "Sorry, no money in the budget for that" is the answer.  But if there is an open position in a territory that needs to be filled, a brand new hire, wth no experience, no special skills can get paid a good amount more than an existing employee who has been there for a couple years.   I get it, they are couning on the exisiting employee not wanting to job jump to get more, maybe not KNOWING the new hire is making more, but it still isn't right.  "Job retention" gets a smaller budget than the budget for "filling new positions".

The problem is, most exisiting employees DO find out about this...and they they simply care less about their jobs.  Instead of giving them the raise to at least 'keep up' with the new hires....what they often get is an employee who becomes 20% or more less productive, who does 'just enough' to keep their job, who doesn't work any extra days...because they were told as an exisiting employee they are 'maxed out' on the pay scale.

I see your company is working from the "Bad Ideas in Management" playbook. I don't think they realize you shouldn't implement *all* the plays at the same time though.

43 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But the problem is that people don't want to work anymore, right?  /s

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Contempt said:

People who have no concept of decorum. Fooling around in a Holocaust Museum and doing TikTok dances at the 9/11 Memorial.

When I lived in DC, sometimes I'd go through Arlington Cemetery for a quiet walk.  People drinking sodas, eating sandwiches...all while wearing "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN" t-shirts with crying eagles and such...have some respect.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

When I lived in DC, sometimes I'd go through Arlington Cemetery for a quiet walk.  People drinking sodas, eating sandwiches...all while wearing "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN" t-shirts with crying eagles and such...have some respect.

The general level of entitlement and cluelessness and enraging. Fortunately I was in charge of these people so I was able to instruct them how to be better. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to smack them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

The general level of entitlement and cluelessness and enraging. Fortunately I was in charge of these people so I was able to instruct them how to be better. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to smack them.

Unfortunately indeed.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, Eleven said:

Nine years tomorrow.  ***** I miss her.

You may or may not remember this, but my father-in-law was the same exact time. Up until your post I hadn’t realized that it had been so long. Now that I have a one year old of my own, I’m reminded of a few very important people who he will never know. 

• Sad 2