GDT - Sabres @ Blackhawks - 11/19/2023 @ 6PM CT / 7PM ET - MSGB/ESPN+

#freejame

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Clifton only played 9:50 and it helped his game. 

So that got me thinking, who played all the minutes on the blue line tonight?

Dahlin 29!

Muel 22

Power 17

EJ 13:30

RJ 12

Henri 11

and Cliffy almost 10

Cliffy almost 10.  😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Personally, expect it sends a worse message to start the guy that gives them the least opportunity to get a win in a particular game.  UPL gave them a great opportunity to win this game.  He DOES NOT match up well vs what the Capitals like to do.  Both Comrie and Levi match up better vs that.

Not saying they can't win w/ UPL between the pipes in DC nor that they'll automatically win running one of the other 2; but they have to go w/ whichever goalie gives them the best chance to win any given game.

And, honestly expect that they were winning tonight with any of the 3 between the pipes.  You giving Comrie a 3rd consecutive start had he gotten the win tonight?  Levi 2 in a row in UPL's shoes tonight?  If yes, cool, good for you, you're staying consistent to your belief that not rolling a guy that ended a losing streak (that that guy had a part in as well, btw) sets a bad precedent.  If not, why not?  Either way, we don't see eye to eye on this.  And that's fine as well.

But then again, the only thing Washington is doing well is keeping the puck out of their own net. Only San Jose has scored less goals than them. Their current spot in the standings, it doesn’t really make much sense. 

People have mentioned that the Sabres didn't look good, especially the forwards.  I think this is a direct result of playing an 11/7 lineup.  When your linemates are constantly being changed, you lose that natural feel of knowing where to expect your linemate to be.  That's my take on it anyway.  The only forward that seems to do better playing with 11 Fs is Olofsson.  He seems to put in a little more effort and backchecks better.  Weird, huh?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Good win by the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills today. I didn’t think UPL played so well that he earned the next start. We are not talking about the Boston Bruins it’s the Chicago Blackhawks who were one of the worst teams in the NHL. The goal post saved the Buffalo Sabres and UPL tonight. UPL struggles with that little time period to play back to back games. I think Devon Levi will get the start against the Washington Capitals that is what I would do. Continue alternating goalies for a while. Don Edwards and Bob Sauve alternated so did Bob Sauve and Tom Barrasso. The Sabres can’t throw away points hoping UPL can play back to back he can’t right now maybe overtime.

I personally trust UPL the least of the current three goalies that the Sabres have. UPL reminds me a lot of Gary Bromley when he was with the Buffalo Sabres for whatever reason he just couldn’t grab the number one goalie job from a ailing Roger Crozier and the Sabres had to bring Gerry Desjardins in from the Michigan Stags of the WHA until he got the eye injury than Don Edwards seized the opportunity. UPL couldn’t seize the opportunity last year like Don Edwards did. UPL the Sabres have spent a lot of development time in him and UPL is still shaky that’s doesn’t say number one goalie. I see UPL a lot like Gary Bromley had a good career as backup goalie in both the WHA and NHL. UPL’s big chance was last year for the Sabres he was supposed to be the number one and unfortunately he failed badly. That doesn’t go away with a few wins in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You are comparing eras that today have totally different development times for goalies.  

UPL gave up two goals, and had a .934 sv%.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Great they won. Happy about that but they don't look good and all the fancy stats back that up. It was Chicago, and we were mediocre at best. This inability to move on from guys because we apparently like them is maddening. The bottom of this roster is bad. Cozens is, really rough this year. He's in his own head and trying to do way to much. Power falls in the same category. 

Peterka and Dahlin though are really trying to drag this carcass to relevance. Peterka is about the only player going to the slot. Dahlin is simply excellent. I'd call up Rosen and Kulich. I'd send Levi to Rochester for a bit and I'd waive Bryson and Olofsson. Quinn and Thompson returning is going to be a major factor here but you gotta find another Greenway type and trade for him. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Great they won. Happy about that but they don't look good and all the fancy stats back that up. It was Chicago, and we were mediocre at best. This inability to move on from guys because we apparently like them is maddening. The bottom of this roster is bad. Cozens is, really rough this year. He's in his own head and trying to do way to much. Power falls in the same category. 

Peterka and Dahlin though are really trying to drag this carcass to relevance. Peterka is about the only player going to the slot. Dahlin is simply excellent. I'd call up Rosen and Kulich. I'd send Levi to Rochester for a bit and I'd waive Bryson and Olofsson. Quinn and Thompson returning is going to be a major factor here but you gotta find another Greenway type and trade for him. 

I generally agree with the above but I think the priority for the forwards is a 3/4 line center.  Krebs and Jost aren't good enough to center any line.  We need someone who can center a top 3 line while Thompson is out and then can solidify the 4th line when TNT returns.  If he adds another physical presence all the better.  Who might be available is anyone's guess. I'm also sending Benson back to Juniors.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This team reminds me of the Sabres team we saw before they looked like they were turning it around.... Not alot of nights where the compete level is at a high level, looked absolutely lost on defense and if we had better goaltending we could steal a bunch of wins. UPL is looking good but Levi and Comrie are really struggling and this would be ideal to have a legit goaltender veteran who could help elivate UPL who's been pretty good out of the bunch. 

It's kind of sad that you have to ignite a flame under a team to raise their compete level at this high of a stage in professional hockey. I finally saw Samuelsson hit people last night which is a good sign but too many nights our big guys are a bunch of pansies out there. Our HC needs to raise his compete as well, instead of being passive it's time to ignite the flame in these kids but unfortunately that is not Don Granato.

12 hours ago, Believer said:

Bad luck… Samuelson got legs sideways 

I don’t know about legs sideways, but I do know he was completely turned around and puck watching, when he should have been looking to see who was coming to put that puck in our net. All of our D do that. It’s frustrating. Play the player, not the puck.

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

As one of the few consistently good players, he gets a pass.

See above.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Pretty much my thoughts.   

On the bottom 6 the only guy consistently skating and hustling and providing effort is Girgs, and he is limited.  Would love to add a another Greenway type of forward or two (a center).  We missed that opportunity in the off season and we need that now.  

I think that the current 7 on defense are better than what we have had in a long time.  The Johnson's are helping.   The Goalies are not our biggest problem so far.   Levi getting more games in Rochester is an opportunity for him, not a bad thing.  

Not sure Kulich /Rosen will help but VO, KO and Krebsie are not helping either.  

Cozens is in a slump and needs to work himself out of it.  Getting rid of the shield might help.

Get Tage back, then Quinn back, and we might have something if we can hold together and stay in the race for the next 2 months.  

Their play at home, and the home record, is a concern.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I disliked the EJ signing at the time, but I've been pleasantly surprised with his play this season. I still think they're giving him too much ice time and we should be rotating the Johnsons in the lineup, but it is what it is.

Disagree, they should be rotating EJ and Clifton imo. Having both of them on the same pair spells disaster typically. Ryan Johnson is already a top 3-4 guy on this squad and needs to be treated as such. When someone's ready, they're ready and should be utilized.

5 minutes ago, BlowLeafsBlow123 said:

Disagree, they should be rotating EJ and Clifton imo. Having both of them on the same pair spells disaster typically. Ryan Johnson is already a top 3-4 guy on this squad and needs to be treated as such. When someone's ready, they're ready and should be utilized.

Clifton has been the weakest of the 7 so far, and it makes sense to be watching EJ's usage at his age.  But they haven't been playing an onerous schedule so not sitting him yet has a logic to it.

RJ2 has looked like their 2nd best D-man at times, and that is a problem.  He and Power should both be able to get 3rd pairing usage, but they can't overwork the Big Johnson and there is something wrong with Samuelsson (not sure if it's due to injury or if it's mental, but he is having lapses that are directly leading to goals lately).  Power is having his version of a sophomore slump (it's still way better than a lot of players, but he seems to be thinking too much on the ice as well).  Jokiharju is playing well for the most part, but still see him as an excellent 5 and an ok 4.

Don't know what the answer is, short of bringing in a Hannifan to really fix the top 4.  Because don't see them bringing in a Hannifan.

Still would like to see them try 

Dahlin-Jokiharju (R Johnson)

Samuelsson-R Johnson (Jokiharju)

Power-E Johnson

rotating Clifton through a weighted rotation of E Johnson, R Johnson, & Jokiharju with Clfiton sitting the most and E Johnson and Henri the least and bouncing Power back into the top 4 when both Erik and Clifton are playing.  And go with whichever of Ryan or Henri are working better with Ras on any given night to form your top pair.

Hate having both RJ2 and Power in the top 4 at this point of their careers, but due to a need to keep from overworking E Johnson and Clifton not getting it yet (but getting better) they pretty much need to have both of them up there now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.