GDT - Sabres @ Blackhawks - 11/19/2023 @ 6PM CT / 7PM ET - MSGB/ESPN+

#freejame

6 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Cozens failed to clear the zone with about 25 second left...almost like he tried to touch pass it out....just a poor game overall from him.  I'd really like to see DG sit him out next game as he does is really causing more damage than good.

If Cozens sits the next game, you're rolling 11 F's with Tyson Jost as the 11th F.

Still think that's a good idea?

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If Cozens sits the next game, you're rolling 11 F's with Tyson Jost as the 11th F.

Yes....exactly!  IMHO he was that bad tonight.  If he's hurt, than sit him until he can play his game.  If he is not hurt, then he needs to be sent a message from the coaching staff to get his act together.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

UPL played well and has looked better the last month or so.

He did have a good game.  He made some big saves when they needed them.

Both of the goals he gave up were good shots to areas that he has difficulty with; but they were both good shots and his teammates could've bailed him out on both.

3 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

I wonder if he's still affected by the fist to the head that he took.

IDK, but I thought he has been struggling throughout this young season.  I really expected more from him to this point.  I cannot help but wonder if he got any bigger or stronger in the off-season as he seems "weak" physically to my eye.  I don't see much speed, physical engagement and frankly not much production.  What I do see is a lot of mistakes and turnovers.  I love the kid, but not the way he's playing right now.

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres next opponent's bread and butter scoring play is moving the puck across the ice for a world class 1 timer just off the post and just under the crossbar.  UPL's biggest weakness is moving across the crease.  His 2nd biggest weakness are shots up high.  What could possibly go wrong?

There are no easy answers with the Sabres crease right now. I’m not a UPL guy, but to me it sends the wrong message to sit the guy who ended the losing streak.  

12 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Clifton only played 9:50 and it helped his game. 

So that got me thinking, who played all the minutes on the blue line tonight?

Dahlin 29!

Muel 22

Power 17

EJ 13:30

Henri 11

and Cliffy almost 10

you forgot Ryan J.  The skated 7 D tonight. (He played 12:20).

Cozens was terrible all game.  

The team looked flat almost the entire game.  We still aren't physical enough and we don't shoot enough.  One bright spot was quicker puck movement and more attempts to try to get the PK boz moving on the PP the few times they actually got the PP set up.

This is a bad hockey team right now.  They really aren't putting forth the necessary effort to be a good team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Clifton only played 9:50 and it helped his game. 

So that got me thinking, who played all the minutes on the blue line tonight?

Dahlin 29!

Muel 22

Power 17

EJ 13:30

Henri 11

and Cliffy almost 10

Dahlin is getting minutes that Piwer and Joker would have got.  29 is too much Don.  

Ryan Johnson had 12:20 

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

There are no easy answers with the Sabres crease right now. I’m not a UPL guy, but to me it sends the wrong message to sit the guy who ended the losing streak.  

Personally, expect it sends a worse message to start the guy that gives them the least opportunity to get a win in a particular game.  UPL gave them a great opportunity to win this game.  He DOES NOT match up well vs what the Capitals like to do.  Both Comrie and Levi match up better vs that.

Not saying they can't win w/ UPL between the pipes in DC nor that they'll automatically win running one of the other 2; but they have to go w/ whichever goalie gives them the best chance to win any given game.

And, honestly expect that they were winning tonight with any of the 3 between the pipes.  You giving Comrie a 3rd consecutive start had he gotten the win tonight?  Levi 2 in a row in UPL's shoes tonight?  If yes, cool, good for you, you're staying consistent to your belief that not rolling a guy that ended a losing streak (that that guy had a part in as well, btw) sets a bad precedent.  If not, why not?  Either way, we don't see eye to eye on this.  And that's fine as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

you forgot Ryan J.  The skated 7 D tonight.

Cozens was terrible all game.  

The team looked flat almost the entire game.  We still aren't physical enough and we don't shoot enough.  One bright spot was quicker puck movement and more attempts to try to get the PK boz moving on the PP the few times they actually got the PP set up.

This is a bad hockey team right now.  They really aren't putting forth the necessary effort to be a good team.

This right here is what makes me think the Meatballs era may have run its course.

I'm happy with a win, always, but they did not play well tonight at all. There seems to be a malaise around the whole team. Worst of all, the offense has regressed badly, and that's supposed to be Granato's bread and butter. I know missing TNT and Quinn hurt, but these guys look nothing like the fast skating, crisp passing team we saw for chunks of last year. The PP, despite a goal tonight, is a sludge fart. I just wonder if a fresh message behind the bench isn't what this team needs to unlock the potential. I know everyone hates the P word, but we've all seen it. It's just a matter of getting it out of them every night...not in flashes, and I don't know if Meatballs is the guy to do it anymore.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Personally, expect it sends a worse message to start the guy that gives them the least opportunity to get a win in a particular game.  UPL gave them a great opportunity to win this game.  He DOES NOT match up well vs what the Capitals like to do.  Both Comrie and Levi match up better vs that.

Not saying they can't win w/ UPL between the pipes in DC nor that they'll automatically win running one of the other 2; but they have to go w/ whichever goalie gives them the best chance to win any given game.

And, honestly expect that they were winning tonight with any of the 3 between the pipes.  You giving Comrie a 3rd consecutive start had he gotten the win tonight?  Levi 2 in a row in UPL's shoes tonight?  If yes, cool, good for you, you're staying consistent to your belief that not rolling a guy that ended a losing streak (that that guy had a part in as well, btw) sets a bad precedent.  If not, why not?  Either way, we don't see eye to eye on this.  And that's fine as well.

I appreciate the discourse. No one here thinks the Sabres played well tonight, and UPL got it done. It’s hard to say that any Sabres tender would have done the same thing. Maybe? Probably? I dunno. I just know UPL got it done. 

I understand your concern about the Caps. Did you know their PP is second worst in the NHL at 7%? Even worse than us.  They’ve won five of six, but it’s the bottom six leading the way.  I don’t think they’re as dangerous as their reputation would lead one to believe.  By and large, the goals they’re scoring are greasy and I don’t think any goalie really matches up more favorably than another.  We shall see. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think he’s earned the crease for Wed at Wash. And if that’s the case, that would mean at least a ten day layoff for Levi. 

Good win by the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills today. I didn’t think UPL played so well that he earned the next start. We are not talking about the Boston Bruins it’s the Chicago Blackhawks who were one of the worst teams in the NHL. The goal post saved the Buffalo Sabres and UPL tonight. UPL struggles with that little time period to play back to back games. I think Devon Levi will get the start against the Washington Capitals that is what I would do. Continue alternating goalies for a while. Don Edwards and Bob Sauve alternated so did Bob Sauve and Tom Barrasso. The Sabres can’t throw away points hoping UPL can play back to back he can’t right now maybe overtime.

I personally trust UPL the least of the current three goalies that the Sabres have. UPL reminds me a lot of Gary Bromley when he was with the Buffalo Sabres for whatever reason he just couldn’t grab the number one goalie job from a ailing Roger Crozier and the Sabres had to bring Gerry Desjardins in from the Michigan Stags of the WHA until he got the eye injury than Don Edwards seized the opportunity. UPL couldn’t seize the opportunity last year like Don Edwards did. UPL the Sabres have spent a lot of development time in him and UPL is still shaky that’s doesn’t say number one goalie. I see UPL a lot like Gary Bromley had a good career as backup goalie in both the WHA and NHL. UPL’s big chance was last year for the Sabres he was supposed to be the number one and unfortunately he failed badly. That doesn’t go away with a few wins in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Sabres Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I agree with this. I hate you for making me say that 🤪  

I don't think this was one of 6K's better games, but he did enough to get the win. I want to see Levi in net next game. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

That effort by the Sabres tonight produces a loss most nights against most NHL teams — and the Sabres really needed a W, and they were playing a bottom-3 team that played yesterday and traveled last night.

I’m glad they won, but they are miles away from being a playoff-caliber team right now.

This team is frustrating.

Instead of Greenway - Krebs - Olofsson, I want to see Greenway - Kulich - Rosen.

Do something—anything—to mix it up. Send Krebs to Rochester and do a paper transaction for Levi to give it a two game look when you have UPL/Comrie running two games. If it doesn’t work, fine, but if it does work, it might spark something with the team. But the staff needs to try something different because this roster is not playing like a playoff roster.

Or just waive Bryson and keep Krebs up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.