GDT - Lightning @ Sabres - October 17, 2023 - 7:30 PM (EDT) - ESPN & WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

17 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

From the outside looking in, I will say I think Granato made a mistake with his handling/allocating the preseason games. The Sabres gave too many games to rookies and too few games getting the top lines together. The organization is too far along in the rebuild to give this much ice time to evaluating rookies.

It is what it is. I think it's far worse of an issue in the NFL than it is in the NHL, but it's still something they should keep in mind for next offseason.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 2 coaching staffs and front offices bounce a lot of ideas off each other.  Wonder how much the NFL playing starters an absolute minimum in the preseason due to injury concerns was a factor in the roster setups through the 7 exhibition games?

• Like (+1) 1

As much as I rail on the coach he made literally the exact line change I suggested last week. Now I might have to eat crow if it doesn’t look good. Why did you do this to me Granato?  See, I still can blame Granato no matter the outcome 

I used to bag on Krebs a lot but I think towards the end of last year it finally clicked for him. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well, Josty needs a game but it is almost like Meatballs is reading SabreSpace.  

But that might lead him to actually believe that Tuch Icewalker and Princess Levi (as the trade-spawn of Jackikin Eichwalker and Reino Samidala) are going to lead the Sabres Rebellion to victory over the Stanley Cup... but that's just a weird and oddly coincidental movie-team wish fulfillment of my imagination. That's not how The Concept Of works. It's not going to happen just because it's written in the script. They've still got to play the games.

a6a6790e-882c-4894-8ee1-77d16d6b576d_tex

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

No Stamkos tonight, still day to day with an injury

I watched them play Ottawa and their offense is struggling more compared to previous years. This is a perfect moment to beat them but the danger is they are playing a harder shut down game and they still have a number of guys who go right to the front and go for the dirty goals. If we let that happen, we will be in trouble. 

I disagree with the sentiment that 3 losses to start is okay. This game to me is pivotal. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Obviously Clifton

Not by me. I see more things I like about Clifton.  

OK, he tripped, or was tripped, and that led to a goal.  He knocked a goal in accidentally - every defenseman does.  So what to either.   

I like the clean hitting, the hustle, the attitude, and the potential.  

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

"The only must win was World War II." - Marv Levy

This is pretty close though....

Sean Flanagan Yes GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can't activate Savoie without a corresponding move such as someone else going on IR or someone being waived or traded. 

I should have added that they could send down an exempt player Levi.  If they want to get creative you activate Savoie for the 2nd game of the 4 game home stand, send down Levi for games 2&3 and bring him back for game 4.  This way you see Comrie and UPL in games 2 & 3 as well as Savoie and Benson together in the lineup for 2 games.  This isn’t what they are going to do, but it would be interesting to see.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not by me. I see more things I like about Clifton.  

OK, he tripped, or was tripped, and that led to a goal.  He knocked a goal in accidentally - every defenseman does.  So what to either.   

I like the clean hitting, the hustle, the attitude, and the potential.  

Sean Flanagan Yes GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

I like the concept of Clifton as well, but I need him to be at least a net zero.  His size worries me too.  He plays like he’s 6’3” 230.  Being that he’s 4 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter, I wonder how long his body will hold up.  

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

As much as I rail on the coach he made literally the exact line change I suggested last week. Now I might have to eat crow if it doesn’t look good. Why did you do this to me Granato?  See, I still can blame Granato no matter the outcome 

I used to bag on Krebs a lot but I think towards the end of last year it finally clicked for him. 

I'm the same way with Krebs.  Last year the first few weeks of the season I thought he was probably the worst forward in all of the NHL.  I still don't think he's great or bound to be a star, but he turned his play around by the end of the year and now looks like at least a legit NHL forward.

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Huh. The game is on ESPN... but not streaming on ESPN+/Hulu. Well, here goes another game I won't see.

Many of us has expressed frustration in the other thread about Spectrum/MSG/MSG plus....but again it deserves repeating just how bad the NHL is with making their games available to their fans.  

3 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

The Elephant in the room is a slow starting Tage Thompson. Time for our stars to get some goals.

I bet you anything once he scores, he’ll be on a tear for a bit 

- - - 

survey says: we pick up a W tonight 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like the concept of Clifton as well, but I need him to be at least a net zero.  His size worries me too.  He plays like he’s 6’3” 230.  Being that he’s 4 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter, I wonder how long his body will hold up.  

He's fine. He's been doing that for years in Boston he can do it here too. The problem is expecting TOO MUCH from him. He's not a top pairing guy and he does have the tendency to roam a little too much. On Boston he got away with it. Not sure he can here. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.