GDT - Lightning @ Sabres - October 17, 2023 - 7:30 PM (EDT) - ESPN & WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I don't think the sky is falling because we are 0-2 either.   

If we win 5 in a row and get to 5-2 I  still won't say we are a playoff team either.   

Points are points, every games counts, but we have a long season ahead of us and this roster looks like it will challenge for the 7th or 8th spot if the goaltending holds up.  

I don't think it is falling either. If we can get the the top two lines going I will feel a lot better, even if we lose a 3rd in a row.

From a schedule/house keeping perspective losing to TB isn't the worst. But one thing I am paying attention to this year is linking losses together. That includes OT loses. No real data, but in a quick scan of last years standings, most playoff teams only had ~4-ish 4 game skids and almost never went over 4 games. For me last season was more about going on losing streaks rather than total number of games lost. 

Starting with 3 losses would suck, but it is manageable. I think my nerves will start tingling quite a bit with 4 loses. 

I can stay positive with a 3-6 start but the team never loses more than 2 in a row. To me that would read as an improvement from last year. The 22-23 team would turn something like that into 9 loses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Donnie would never humiliate a player like that. He wants them to go through a wall for him.

Always gotta have a whipping boy. Clearly VO has been the issue.

One of the issues… Still haven’t seen any passion to perform by our top line.

Expect DG has met and gotten this message across to them… and tonight will be different.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As much as I want Krebs to be a centre I like this.

Krebs and Cozens have rarely played together as Sabres but Team Canada has had them joined at the hip since they were 15. There is a history of chemistry there.

I need Peyton to be tenacious March 2023 Peyton, not revert to turnover-happy hope play February 2022 Peyton.

Big promotion for Krebsie as well.  This is his moment to show that he can play up the lineup and get some more ice time and opportunity. 

Don't let the moment pass you by Peyton!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I've really liked the energy I've seen from Krebs this year. Hopefully he brings the jam to that line and it clicks.

Indeed.

39 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Maybe VO is going to pull a Brett Burns and switch from wing to D and become really good at D and then grow a MASSIVE beard.

And knock out all his front teeth to look meaner.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2nd pp unit is now the following

Krebs

Mitts-Benson-JJP

Power

Curious.. although I think I'd like Greenway in there around the net given his size and the way he's been going.  That's a power play with a few too many passers and not enough shooters.  In fact, I think JJP is the only shooter there.  Benson probably would shoot, but he's not in the right spot to be a shooter.

At least VO is oot.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Big promotion for Krebsie as well.  This is his moment to show that he can play up the lineup and get some more ice time and opportunity. 

Don't let the moment pass you by Peyton!

Krebs deserves a shot up the lineup.

I remember him not being very good on the wing but that was two years ago. They can share faceoff duties depending on strong side/hot hand. Maybe Cozens needs to simplify his game and use his speed to play a north south game on the wing. Krebs has two burners to feed and he can look after the defensive end of things.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

You are far from the only one that doesn't think that the sky is falling.  The sky is falling crowd is more vocal. Just like in the days of yore with Team Stormcloud and Team Sunshine and Kittens.

Always keep in mind that Team Stormcloud was correct. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres’ lines at morning skate suggest Olofsson will be scratched tonight:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Krebs

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson

Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

Olofsson filled in on a defense pair during rushes.

Well, Josty needs a game but it is almost like Meatballs is reading SabreSpace.  

This is an nice opportunity for Krebs.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

In 11 games last season when the Lightning finished with only one goal, they picked up three points (1-9-1).

Tampa Bay failed to win all 11 games last season when it scored a pair of goals.

If I'm reading this correctly, Tampa won only a single game when they didn't score at least 3 goals? I wonder how that stat works league-wide. Glancing quickly at the Sabres, I see 2-22-2, which is barely any better. Bruins look like 7-8-2.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think some guys need to get going obviously but if we lost 2 games like we just did in January, there would be grumbling but not like this. 

From the outside looking in, I will say I think Granato made a mistake with his handling/allocating the preseason games. The Sabres gave too many games to rookies and too few games getting the top lines together. The organization is too far along in the rebuild to give this much ice time to evaluating rookies.

It is what it is. I think it's far worse of an issue in the NFL than it is in the NHL, but it's still something they should keep in mind for next offseason.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.