Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

17 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Did they reattach his entire lower body or something ? I hate the designation for injuries in the NHL.

Let's just say his girlfriend will be very happy with the transplant he received from the donor donkey.

TNT commentators talking about how hard it is to play against some teams and drew a comparison of Florida being tough team to play against and of course the team they contrasted to that was none other than the easy to play against Buffalo Sabres....🤣

• Sad 2

Toronto might be in trouble.

They are currently in a playoff spot. However, they have gotten 59.5% of available points while playing the 2nd easiest schedule in the league.  Also, with no injuries at all to their top 5 'core' players.

To miss the playoffs the danger point total is 95 for the season.  If they get 56.5% or less of the available points (not much worse than they have been) they are in trouble.  Oh, and for the rest of the season, they have the HARDEST schedule in the league.

They are good enough to be comfortable in the playoffs by years end.....HOWEVER.....Buffalo's top 4 scoring forwards (Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, and Cozens) have all missed games (25 and still on the rise), Torontos  big 4 (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander) have missed a total of ONE game between them.  If/when injury luck turns on them, its going to be an issue.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Toronto might be in trouble.

They are currently in a playoff spot. However, they have gotten 59.5% of available points while playing the 2nd easiest schedule in the league.  Also, with no injuries at all to their top 5 'core' players.

To miss the playoffs the danger point total is 95 for the season.  If they get 56.5% or less of the available points (not much worse than they have been) they are in trouble.  Oh, and for the rest of the season, they have the HARDEST schedule in the league.

They are good enough to be comfortable in the playoffs by years end.....HOWEVER.....Buffalo's top 4 scoring forwards (Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, and Cozens) have all missed games (25 and still on the rise), Torontos  big 4 (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander) have missed a total of ONE game between them.  If/when injury luck turns on them, it’s going to be an issue.

Rumor has it that the Maple Leaves are going to fold and move the franchise to Erie, PA.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

TNT commentators talking about how hard it is to play against some teams and drew a comparison of Florida being tough team to play against and of course the team they contrasted to that was none other than the easy to play against Buffalo Sabres....🤣

Every team in the league knows Sabres can be pushed around.

• Agree 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:14 PM, KC Scouts said:

This is a thing. The Sabres are easy to play against. They tend to do pretty well when they play against teams that are similarly constituted. And they tend to get trucked when they play against teams that are hard to play against.

By the way. Being hard to play against doesn't mean that you're a team full of natural born thumpers. It's more a mindset and approach to the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Zach Hyman.

-31 year old.  Former 5th round draft pick. Didn't even break into the NHL until 4-5 years after being drafted. (4 years in college and 1 year in the minors...even in college 3 of his 4 years he was single digits in goals)

-Averaged 14 goals per year with Toronto his first 6 years before being traded to Edmonton.

-Signed a long term, $5.5m per year deal that Toronto thought was too high to match

This year:

-27 goals through just 40 games.

-on pace for a 55 goal, 90 point season

Having 2 former 1st overall picks as linemates sure does help!

Edited by mjd1001

Leafs Nation are very happy about snapping their losing streak on the strength of Matthews’ hat trick last night vs Calgary.

They are chanting MVP. I know they are biased and he has won this award in the past, McJesus had a better season that year imo.

He leads the NHL in goals with 37 but has only 17 assists for 54 points and 11th place in the race. I know he is a great goal scorer but they award two assists for every goal and he plays centre, the usual set up position. There are examples of guys with Cy Young type numbers, but this is lopsided for a “superstar”.

Btw, I hate him and his team a lot, he is not an MVP type player.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

HIs treatment of Bruce Boudreau makes me feel differently.

Ah, maybe, but no. imo I think you want someone hard cold and ruthless at the top of the top to focus solely on winning and if that means some cold harsh decisions so be it. They all know it's a business and they are paid very well so when they get turfed like he was, it's just part of the territory. 

I've wanted a cold (maybe mean) hockey guy at the top for years. Advocated for Dudley because of Sabres roots but Rutherford would also have been an excellent choice. We need a guy like that instead of Pegula meddling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ah, maybe, but no. imo I think you want someone hard cold and ruthless at the top of the top to focus solely on winning and if that means some cold harsh decisions so be it. They all know it's a business and they are paid very well so when they get turfed like he was, it's just part of the territory. 

I've wanted a cold (maybe mean) hockey guy at the top for years. Advocated for Dudley because of Sabres roots but Rutherford would also have been an excellent choice. We need a guy like that instead of Pegula meddling. 

Cold and Ruthless are different than "firing your coach" but leaving him in limbo for multiple weeks and letting the media hound the guy over very real rumors about him being replaced. That's just bad management 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Cold and Ruthless are different than "firing your coach" but leaving him in limbo for multiple weeks and letting the media hound the guy over very real rumors about him being replaced. That's just bad management 

I agree they treated him badly but I also don't know all the details. The media in Vancouver is a little quick with rumours and they are harder to deal with than the Buffalo media so maybe somebody dropped the ball there but it happens. I wouldn't put it all on Rutherford, but even if it was him being a d&ck he's still a good hockey boss and Sabres would be better off if they'd hired him. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Prolly the numero uno thing holding this team back. It all starts at the top. ( not TP obviously ).

• Like (+1) 1