Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Marner is rightly getting buried for that comment.

Part of me wants to chalk it up to him being a hockey player and hockey players not being the most articulate cohort.

OTOH, there's so many different things he could say there. Simpler things. "Obviously, you're playing in Toronto, this is a town where your fans just live and die with the team. Hockey's so, so important here. So we have a lot to live up to."

And so on. But he went with "we're ... kind of gods." By which, I think, he just meant "we're gods."

From everything I see, the fan base wants him gone.

I feel like the reaction to his quote is somewhat blown out of proportion. Isn’t the reaction somewhat due to that thing everyone seems to hate where, the quiet part gets said out loud? He’s getting lambasted for essentially telling the truth? He’s not a complete dunce, he’s not using “god” in the sense of benevolent lords, but more so using that word, in a pinch, in more of the greek god sense. A little bit more dime a dozen but still nonetheless endlessly talked about as the centre of a mythology. Players in Toronto ARE the centre of attention 

the gotcha on using the term gods is IMHO sort of feeble 

In that at least to me his meaning was rather obvious 

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Which one of Zeus’ kids is the Fredo?

You are thinking of Bilbo’s kid nephew 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I feel like the reaction to his quote is somewhat blown out of proportion. Isn’t the reaction somewhat due to that thing everyone seems to hate where, the quiet part gets said out loud? He’s getting lambasted for essentially telling the truth? He’s not a complete dunce, he’s not using “god” in the sense of benevolent lords, but more so using that word, in a pinch, in more of the greek god sense. A little bit more dime a dozen but still nonetheless endlessly talked about as the centre of a mythology. Players in Toronto ARE the centre of attention 

the gotcha on using the term gods is IMHO sort of feeble 

In that at least to me his meaning was rather obvious 

There's merit to what you're saying. But I think the crux of the problem here is that Marner was making an observation that is often true, would be freely and widely admitted as true, but is not true at the moment. And one of the main reasons it's not quite true and not quite accurate, at the moment, is because of Marner himself.

That's the sense I get from Leaf fans online, anyway. Reactions in the nature of "Dougie Gilmour? Wendel Clark? Darryl Sitler? Mats Sundin? Yeah, bud. THOSE guys are Leaf gods. YOU? YOU?! Bro, get a hold of yourself. You're not one of our hockey gods. You're a pigeon."

I don't know if I used "pigeon" correctly there. But you get the idea.

Edit: "Pigeon" is absolutely not what I'm looking for here- I looked it up. I need a hockey insult for someone who's a high-end talent with no heart. There may not be a hockey term that fits.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

There's merit to what you're saying. But I think the crux of the problem here is that Marner was making an observation that is often true, would be freely and widely admitted as true, but is not true at the moment. And one of the main reasons it's not quite true and not quite accurate, at the moment, is because of Marner himself.

That's the sense I get from Leaf fans online, anyway. Reactions in the nature of "Dougie Gilmour? Wendel Clark? Darryl Sitler? Mats Sundin? Yeah, bud. THOSE guys are Leaf gods. YOU? YOU?! Bro, get a hold of yourself. You're not one of our hockey gods. You're a pigeon."

I don't know if I used "pigeon" correctly there. But you get the idea.

Edit: "Pigeon" is absolutely not what I'm looking for here- I looked it up. I need a hockey insult for someone who's a high-end talent with no heart. There may not be a hockey term that fits.

Hoser 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hoser 

What an evergreen thing to say.

Shoutout to this song, which introduced me to the term (and the related usage hosehead).

gwn_takeoff.jpg

WAIT!

I just realized you were answering my question.

Lol.

Marner's a hoser. Got it.

Take off, Mitch.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Thought this was funny.

image.thumb.jpeg.6ed22ada4e065f188873cf175504e9a3.jpeg

It would be crazy if the Sabres had enough talent to make the playoffs without one of their top guys.

Stone may have a bad enough back to do this for a few years before retiring.

A guy like Mike Bossy could have lasted a few more years in this era.

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

A very reasoned and insightful take.  As such it has no place on this forum.  😉

Burn Him Adam Sandler GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

No, actually I think the Greek gods thing holds up.  The gods of Greek mythology were frequently fallible.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I need a hockey insult for someone who's a high-end talent with no heart. There may not be a hockey term that fits.

I think the term you're looking for is "Jeff Skinner."

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No, actually I think the Greek gods thing holds up.  The gods of Greek mythology were frequently fallible.

Lol - I am sure that Marner had that nuance in mind when he likened himself and his teammates to gods.

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the term you're looking for is "Jeff Skinner."

He is an unserious professional hockey player, that's for sure.

• Haha (+1) 2

He might not be very good, but do people really believe that Jeff Skinner doesn’t play with heart? I find that weird. Early in the season, I felt that he was often the only one on the Sabres that played with any.

Edited by SwampD

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

He might not be very good, but do people really believe that Jeff Skinner doesn’t play with heart? I find that weird. Early in the season, I felt that he was often the only one on the Sabres that played with any.

He can certainly look busy out there.

For the most part, it's sound and fury signifying nothing.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He can certainly look busy out there.

For the most part, it's sound and fury signifying nothing.

Again, that is a different issue.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Heart? Heart for who or what though? 

When I was playing hockey there was almost always a guy like Skinner. We used to call them "goal sucks". Guys who wanted the glory and tried flashy things but never did the little things and ignored the details of the game. They were all uncoachable and when they didn't score they were liabilities. I'd be back in my own end with 2 guys coming in hard on me and there'd be no support. He'd be floating around up ice waiting for an outlet pass and if it didn't get to him back on the bench he'd be prone to say "I was open man, you should have passed to me and I could have got a breakaway". That's Jeff Skinner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Craig Berube hired when?

Well if it is like the Sabres search they talked to him before firing Keefe and should have it wrapped up within the week.