End of the Season Player Quotes

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Physique and skating will do wonders for his rebound control 🙄

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Yeah, when I think about great goalies, their skating ability is always on the top of my mind. They need to be ripped too, just like the Dominator. /s

He a competitor. Sabres would literally have to kidnap him to prevent him from competing. 

I’ve never met a goalie or someone who was extensively involved in hockey who hasn’t said something to the effect that your goalie should be the best skater on the team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Physique and skating will do wonders for his rebound control 🙄

Yes, absolutely. 

Physique - meaning added strength (for faster and more exact movements and pushing post to post), improving stamina. 

Skating - meaning getting in position faster, getting up and repositioning better, maintaining better balance

All of this work could improve his rebound control.  Some rebounds happen because he gets in position late, so being stronger and better on his skates could help.   Improve that and it helps a lot.  He is a big guy with lots to move so he should work on those two things.   He has more potential than given credit for.  Still only 23.  

He could probably learn from Levi, especially the mental side of the game.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a link from WGR where Paul Hamilton talks about the locker cleanout. It is a 20 min segment. In the beginning of the segment, he talks about the injuries. It was very extensive. Samuelsson and Tage were playing with a number of injuries. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Paul Hamilton  Looked pretty foolish with some of those questions and some of those players looked at him like he was a Idiot.

48 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Paul Hamilton  Looked pretty foolish with some of those questions and some of those players looked at him like he was a Idiot.

“I’m going to tell you what I think in a way I will pretend is a question and hope it leads you to agree with me.”

Classic PHam.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

“I’m going to tell you what I think in a way I will pretend is a question and hope it leads you to agree with me.”

Classic PHam.

I will say, the players are starting to become comfortable with the media in a way I haven’t seen in a while.

Ras is a little goofy and genuine, Casey has an aw shucks thing going, Tage is very focused and analytical, Tuch has them eating out his hands, and Kyle is as thoughtful and articulate as any player we’ve ever seen in front of a mike in that room.

Yes, I know the circumstances have changed and that is largely why.

But it certainly adds to the likability quotient these guys are building.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The UPL interview was the most interesting of the ones I watched. He seemed very emotional. I think he knows that his future with this team is very much up in the air. I really hope Levi coming in fuels him to be a better player as opposed to him requesting a trade or something. Having a Levi 1A and UPL 1B tandem in the future like Ullmark and Swayman would be great.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Classic PHam.

Usually he sets it up for a couple days  on radio hits/interviews. He states his opinion on a player or a situation involving the player. Then he asks the player the question in a way they will validate what he has been saying for 2 or 3 days. It never seems to work out quite as well as he thinks it will in his mind. Everyone sees it coming a mile away now.😂

6 hours ago, NAF said:

The UPL interview was the most interesting of the ones I watched. He seemed very emotional. I think he knows that his future with this team is very much up in the air. I really hope Levi coming in fuels him to be a better player as opposed to him requesting a trade or something. Having a Levi 1A and UPL 1B tandem in the future like Ullmark and Swayman would be great.

I've never seen a goalie, at the NHL level, struggle to catch the puck as much as UPL.     Pucks not only bounce out of his glove like it's spring loaded, he also struggles at covering his high glove side.    As the season wore on teams began to exploit this weakness and it showed.     

He's still relatively young for a goalie, but he's got lots and lots of work to do... rebound control, recovery, awareness, tracking pucks, anticipation, etc... 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've never seen a goalie, at the NHL level, struggle to catch the puck as much as UPL.     Pucks not only bounce out of his glove like it's spring loaded, he also struggles at covering his high glove side.    As the season wore on teams began to exploit this weakness and it showed.     

He's still relatively young for a goalie, but he's got lots and lots of work to do... rebound control, recovery, awareness, tracking pucks, anticipation, etc... 

Fix the 2 A's above and most of the rest will be fixed as a result.  (Easier said than done.)

"He's always at the right spot, at the right time.  Barely do any mistakes.  He never gets tired of playing that way.  He looks like he's floating around there, but he's so smart, he's always at the right spot."

Rasmus Dahlin on Nick Lidstrom (just kidding... on Owen Power, but that was Lidstrom's game as well)

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

"He's always at the right spot, at the right time.  Barely do any mistakes.  He never gets tire of playing that way.  He looks like he's floating around there, but he's so smart, he's always at the right spot."

Rasmus Dahlin on Nick Lidstrom (just kidding... on Owen Power, but that was Lidstrom's game as well)

Ironic how Power looks more like a traditional Swedish defenseman in style and Dahlin looks more like a Canadian in style

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

"He's always at the right spot, at the right time.  Barely do any mistakes.  He never gets tire of playing that way.  He looks like he's floating around there, but he's so smart, he's always at the right spot."

People will complain about Power not being physica enough but I honestly don’t mind 

We saw first hand the injuries to the guys that play a rugged style.  Samuelsson , Lyubushkin, Stillman and to an extent Dahlin 

As they say the best ability is availability

Let him do his thing and let the others worry about the rough stuff 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Ironic how Power looks more like a traditional Swedish defenseman in style and Dahlin looks more like a Canadian in style

Power is more like Lidstrom than Dahlin that’s for sure. Dahlin has way more snarl while Power is more cerebral. 

One thing Dahlin has copied from Sweden is the Forsberg reverse hit, which I love. Some scouts said he was like Potvin during his draft year, he is looking more like that as he gets stronger.

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

People will complain about Power not being physica enough but I honestly don’t mind 

We saw first hand the injuries to the guys that play a rugged style.  Samuelsson , Lyubushkin, Stillman and to an extent Dahlin 

As they say the best ability is availability

Let him do his thing and let the others worry about the rough stuff 

I was living in Detroit when Nick Lidstrom was young.  He never seemed to get too physical, never got hurt, was never out of position... right from the start.  Very similar to Power.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I was living in Detroit when Nick Lidstrom was young.  He never seemed to get too physical, never got hurt, was never out of position... right from the start.  Very similar to Power.

Having a modern day version of Lidstrom, who (Power) BTW just happens to have the reach of a 6-5" frame sounds pretty outstanding to me.  Just pair him with a stay at home type partner who can take care of the more physical duties in our own zone and we're golden.

Edited by Carmel Corn

On 4/16/2023 at 2:40 PM, Pimlach said:

Yes, absolutely. 

Physique - meaning added strength (for faster and more exact movements and pushing post to post), improving stamina. 

Skating - meaning getting in position faster, getting up and repositioning better, maintaining better balance

All of this work could improve his rebound control.  Some rebounds happen because he gets in position late, so being stronger and better on his skates could help.   Improve that and it helps a lot.  He is a big guy with lots to move so he should work on those two things.   He has more potential than given credit for.  Still only 23.  

He could probably learn from Levi, especially the mental side of the game.  

Upl is 24.

• Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Upl is 24.

still goalies are funny.  

Look at the Senators prior to last season they trade Filip Gustavsson (who is also 24) to the Wild for Cam Talbot

I'm going to guess that most people on here were jealous of the Sens making that trade and  not the Sabres

Now Talbot won't be resigned by the Sens after a rocky season and Gustavsson went from a 3.55 / .892 Goalie in 21/22 to a 2.50 / .915 goalie this past season

I won't be jumping off any bridges if they start the season with a tandem of Levi and UPL.

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.