End of the Season Player Quotes

Brawndo

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wait a sec, "where no one is villified for what they say" ? So he's saying that before people (players, coaches. GMs, owner?) WERE "villified" for what they say? That's a really strange comment I've never heard before about a locker room. Makes me wonder what it means and who was villifying who.

(and I think "villified" is spelled vilified but what do I know, Harrington's the paid professional writer)

It definitely ties into previous quotes we’ve heard about players being afraid to be themselves and may tie into quotes about  guys being genuinely happy for each other’s successes and becoming comfortable in their own skins.

Kinda sounds like the team had kind of a culture fraught with bullying and jealousy.

As for the who, you know people are going to point fingers at Jack, but Kyle and Jack have been publicly supportive of each other and Kyle has been here a long time and through a lot of leadership groups: Botterill, Krueger, Housley, Murray, Bylsma, O’Reilly, Kane, Bogosian, McCabe, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Larsson, Gionta, Gorges, Ullmark, Lehner, and whole litany of transitory people like the Montours and the Shearys, and the hockey department staff that was purged a few years back… it was almost certainly as much the product of a mix of personalities as a single person or two.

But this is the part that gets forgotten when we are playing video game GM around here: these are people and how they interact matters. 

The reason Adams gets my full support regardless of the trades he has or hasn’t made, is that he recognized this was a problem and he has fixed it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The reason Adams gets my full support regardless of the trades he has or hasn’t made, is that he recognized this was a problem and he has fixed it.

Yes, but to be fair, JBot said there was a cultural problem as well (as did I and many Sabrespace members). I think his hands were more tied however as he had to appease Eichel. With the surgery/wanting out thing Pegula green lit Adams to ditch Jack. I wouldn't be surprised if one day JBot wrote a memoir (hypothetically) and said he wanted to get rid of Jack but couldn't. In any event we will never know because he's a working executive and these guys generally don't talk ill of anybody because they never know where they might work next and which players/coaches they might have. 

So ya, Adams got to do  what needed doing and he got it done. Timing is everything in pro sports. Adams came into a great situation. Imagine how much harder it is for a guy like Briere. I'm really interested to see what he can do in Philly, because that team is a mess. Personally I think it's impossible to fix that team for at least 3-4 years of more suffering if not longer. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, but to be fair, JBot said there was a cultural problem as well (as did I and many Sabrespace members). I think his hands were more tied however as he had to appease Eichel. With the surgery/wanting out thing Pegula green lit Adams to ditch Jack. I wouldn't be surprised if one day JBot wrote a memoir (hypothetically) and said he wanted to get rid of Jack but couldn't. In any event we will never know because he's a working executive and these guys generally don't talk ill of anybody because they never know where they might work next and which players/coaches they might have. 

So ya, Adams got to do  what needed doing and he got it done. Timing is everything in pro sports. Adams came into a great situation. Imagine how much harder it is for a guy like Briere. I'm really interested to see what he can do in Philly, because that team is a mess. Personally I think it's impossible to fix that team for at least 3-4 years of more suffering if not longer. 

How terribly sad!

After watching the locker clean-out videos, I have just a few comments/observations:

Dahlin's comments on his contract scare me.

Best interview was Jost. Hope he comes back.

Tuch's personality is very much like Ryan Miller's. The closest I've seen from a Sabre, or any NHL player, since Miller himself. He's more approachable than Miller and much less of a smooth talker, but the fundamental personality is very similar.

Okposo is such a dignified and smart guy with a really great sounding voice. He sounds like a person conflicted over whether to put in another season as a player in the NHL. I can see him as a coach/assistant coach or GM/Assistant GM in the very near future.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ... said:

After watching the locker clean-out videos, I have just a few comments/observations:

Tuch's personality is very much like Ryan Miller's. The closest I've seen from a Sabre, or any NHL player, since Miller himself. He's more approachable than Miller and much less of a smooth talker, but the fundamental personality is very similar.

Okposo is such a dignified and smart guy with a really great sounding voice. He sounds like a person conflicted over whether to put in another season as a player in the NHL. I can see him as a coach/assistant coach or GM/Assistant GM in the very near future.

Dahlin's comments aren't all that frightening to be honest; I honestly doubt he'd be thinking about contract stuff while working his ass off all year. Not to mention he couldn't extend until July anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jordan Greenway's end of season interview.

After watching his end of season presser,I’m bringing Kyle back on a one year contract.  And I’d pay him more than vet minimum if he wants. I bet he’s older and slower. Heck, watch KO’s presser, he essentially admits it. But his leadership outweighs it all.

6 hours ago, ... said:

I don’t know that I’ve met two people whose personalities were more dissimilar to the personalities of Tuch and Miller.

7 hours ago, ... said:

I gotta disagree on the Dahlin bit. I think he was just so focused on hockey he really didn’t think about the extension. Frankly I’d be surprised if Dahlin didn’t settle for a bit less on his contract than what he ought to earn. IMO the Tage and Cozens contracts set a precedent that a leader and good character guy like Dahlin will follow.

8 hours ago, ... said:

IckyBossyHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

After watching his end of season presser,I’m bringing Kyle back on a one year contract.  And I’d pay him more than vet minimum if he wants. I bet he’s older and slower. Heck, watch KO’s presser, he essentially admits it. But his leadership outweighs it all.

I would rather let one of the   Rochester guys fight it out.

His time is done its a business move on 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

The comments about culture really struck home.  In many cases it isn't a particular person who's to blame for teammates not feeling comfortable, it's a general attitude among everyone that doesn't foster respect and trust.  For example, teasing is allowed to go really deep and personal, and that the receiver has to just take it and stew about it.  It takes leadership to shut that down when it starts to happen.  I am not saying Eichel was the person who made everyone uncomfortable, because I don't know that, but it does look like Eichel was the person who failed to stop it.  

The Bills were mired in bad culture for years.  Well, decades.  Then finally some older, really good players stepped up (Kyle Williams, Lorax come to mind, and probably some decent players like Tyrod Taylor too), the bad apples got tossed from the barrel, and the field was ready for a new crop of happy relationships. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

The comments about culture really struck home.  In many cases it isn't a particular person who's to blame for teammates not feeling comfortable, it's a general attitude among everyone that doesn't foster respect and trust.  For example, teasing is allowed to go really deep and personal, and that the receiver has to just take it and stew about it.  It takes leadership to shut that down when it starts to happen.  I am not saying Eichel was the person who made everyone uncomfortable, because I don't know that, but it does look like Eichel was the person who failed to stop it.  

The Bills were mired in bad culture for years.  Well, decades.  Then finally some older, really good players stepped up (Kyle Williams, Lorax come to mind, and probably some decent players like Tyrod Taylor too), the bad apples got tossed from the barrel, and the field was ready for a new crop of happy relationships. 

Welcome back!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.