Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Sideline ref said Toney never checked with him or he would have moved him back. Reid said that was Toneys' fault and the call was correct. Sorry Mahomes. 

How do you even check in with the sideline ref when you are practically at mid-field, not even the player closest to that sideline?  And to follow that one up, how do you not realize you're that far offside when you are, what, 10 feet away from the ball?

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

How do you even check in with the sideline ref when you are practically at mid-field, not even the player closest to that sideline?  

in the "pool report" transcript, the crew chief indicated that line judges will generally give a player an all clear or, if it's a close call, wave them to move back a smidge. he also said that the line judge will generally not give any feedback where, as was the case here, the player is lined up egregiously offside.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure why officials should help. I don't like it when officials in hockey yell GET THE LINE! when a player is about to shoot the puck in. Let the man ice it.

Agreed, officials aren't there to help the players, that's the coaching staffs job. They are there to enforce the rules set in place for the games.

Officials officiate, coaches coach, players play. Simple.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

How do you even check in with the sideline ref when you are practically at mid-field, not even the player closest to that sideline?  And to follow that one up, how do you not realize you're that far offside when you are, what, 10 feet away from the ball?

To add to that, how do you not realize you're offside when you're further downfield than the center? And everyone other than the center is pretty much a whole yard behind you?

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

in the "pool report" transcript, the crew chief indicated that line judges will generally give a player an all clear or, if it's a close call, wave them to move back a smidge. he also said that the line judge will generally not give any feedback where, as was the case here, the player is lined up egregiously offside.

I know, you'll see it all the time during games.  Usually it's a guy lined up wide though, practically right next to the ref on the line.  Actually though, I thought it was mostly about making sure they had the right number of guys lined up on the line of scrimmage.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

It never fully closed.  The Fishies end the year against 3 teams with winning records.  They're 0-3 so far in those contests.

I won’t be surprised if they lose out the rest of year. Late season swoons are nothing new to that team. Last year they went 8-3 before finishing at 9-8. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

That Vic Fangio is a Supra-Genius.  (Just like Wile E. Coyote.)

Indeed.  That muffed punt was just awful.  Really, all three of Miami's touchdowns were gifts.  Their offense had 15 yards combined on the three.  If Hill is bothered by that ankle for the rest of the season, they're in trouble.

Mahomes changed his tune ...

"Obviously you don’t want to react that way, I mean, I care, man. I love it - I love this game, and I love my teammates. I want to go out there and put everything on the line to win, but obviously you can’t do that, can’t be that way towards officials or really anybody in life. So, I’ll probably regret acting like that. But more than anything, I regretted the way I acted towards Josh [Allen] after the game, because he had nothing to do with it. I was still hot and emotional, but you can’t do that. It’s not a great example for kids watching the game. I was more upset about that than me on the sidelines."

"It was a big play in the game. Obviously, it got negated because of a foul," Mahomes said. "I didn’t have a great explanation for it, obviously I’m not seeing the view from the sideline or anything like that. I didn’t even really know – I heard the call, from where I was you couldn’t really tell what really happened, and I was trying to get an explanation and didn’t really get one. Obviously, I’ve seen it now, and if he didn’t check and they weren’t good, it is a foul. It is something you rarely see called in the NFL. But it was a foul, it’s part of playing the game, man. You learn from it, it’s part of being a person, you learn from you mistakes and try to be better next time."

(Emphasis added by me.)

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Mahomes changed his tune ...

(Emphasis added by me.)

I heard the NFL was looking into his and Reid's criticism of the officiating.  This statement was probably his "settlement" in lieu of being penalized for criticizing the officiating.  (It's one thing to criticize a bad call; it's something else to take officials to task for a call the officials got right.)

Edited by Doohickie

Wow.  I went to bed when Miami went up by 7 with 6 minutes left!

So if the Bills keep winning and Miami loses one more before they host the Bills at the end of the season, that game will be for the division.

The Bills may or may not win enough to get in, but they won't quit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  I went to bed when Miami went up by 7 with 6 minutes left!

So if the Bills keep winning and Miami loses one more before they host the Bills at the end of the season, that game will be for the division.

The Bills may or may not win enough to get in, but they won't quit.

They just might be peaking at the right time.  Take it one game at a time.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They just might be peaking at the right time.  Take it one game at a time.  

They won a game they almost lost because of technical penalty on a go ahead TD after blowing a 14-0 lead and scoring a whopping 3 points in the 2nd half. If this is peaking then we should call Chestnut Ridge, Mt Everest. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They won a game they almost lost because of technical penalty on a go ahead TD after blowing a 14-0 lead and scoring a whopping 3 points in the 2nd half. If this is peaking then we should call Chestnut Ridge, Mt Everest. 

There are 6 teams at 7-6 in the AFC.  The AFC is extremely competitive this season.  No one is dominating right now.  Sure, the Bills have been disappointing with past losses to Jets, Jags, NE, and Denver that were all winnable games, not to mention the Philly game  -  but going forward is what counts and there is still a viable path to a division title.  

Remember just a few years back Tampa with Brady & Gronk came up the same way, they were a .500 team that strung together late season wins, peaked in the playoffs, and won it all.  

The Bills deserved the win at KC and they played a real good game against Philly only in that game the calls went against them.  Beat Dallas and things get very interesting. 

This is the start of the what could be a great run.  I am optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 1