Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They won a game they almost lost because of technical penalty on a go ahead TD after blowing a 14-0 lead and scoring a whopping 3 points in the 2nd half. If this is peaking then we should call Chestnut Ridge, Mt Everest. 

LGR... I am your father.

16 hours ago, shrader said:

Actually though, I thought it was mostly about making sure they had the right number of guys lined up on the line of scrimmage.

Given the chatter following this situation, it seems clear that WR's are asking whether they're onside. Although, to your point, I suppose a WR (or TE or RB) could also be asking for other alignment advice, such as "I'm off the line right?" Because sometimes there are formations like that (you can only have so many players at the LOS, as you note). But I can't imagine a line judge ever advising a single player as to whether a formation is legal in a more general sense. I think it's always the player asking "am I good?"

The inside WR almost never asks a ref it's ALWAYS the outside WRs thst ask the ref.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They won a game they almost lost because of technical penalty on a go ahead TD after blowing a 14-0 lead and scoring a whopping 3 points in the 2nd half. If this is peaking then we should call Chestnut Ridge, Mt Everest. 

That is how NFL games go.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Given the chatter following this situation, it seems clear that WR's are asking whether they're onside. Although, to your point, I suppose a WR (or TE or RB) could also be asking for other alignment advice, such as "I'm off the line right?" Because sometimes there are formations like that (you can only have so many players at the LOS, as you note). But I can't imagine a line judge ever advising a single player as to whether a formation is legal in a more general sense. I think it's always the player asking "am I good?"

This story from a few years ago has been popping up a bit since Sunday. They ask if they’re lined up properly too. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Point of clarity: you can have as many players on the LOS as you want, but you need a minimum of seven. Although lining up 11 makes absolutely no sense and you’d render most of them ineligible as receivers as only the two at the ends would be eligible. 

Your point about formation is a good one as WRs often check to see if they’re covering/uncovering an end man as required or not as well as checking if they’re onside. It’s funny that you say “Am I good” as I’ve heard exactly that several times while being within earshot on the sidelines in the past. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

This will make your day bills fans

And this, I think this is the reason I am much less of a sports fan than I used to be. I can't identify with that behavior and I do not want people to think of me as even 1/4 of that.

Yeah, I get it, people get emotional about a lot of things. There are Bills fans like that too, and everyone can invest as much as they want into anything they want as long as they aren't doing harm to anyone else. But...wow.

If that is real its pretty bad. If that is a fake/staged video, its just as bad for slightly different reasons (that someone would care enough to do that).

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

<snip> It’s funny that you say “Am I good” as I’ve heard exactly that several times while being within earshot on the sidelines in the past. 

Good stuff. Thanks. I believe I've caught that phrase on the parabolic (sp?) mics that the networks use as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He was actually across the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

the flag was for illegal formation, not offside. when i look back at the play, there appears to be only 6 players on the LOS, if you exclude the WR (who was not up far enough).

the flag was for illegal formation, not offside. when i look back at the play, there appears to be only 6 players on the LOS, if you exclude the WR (who was not up far enough).

For what it’s worth, the NFL has it listed as “offensive offside.” 

Edit: Please disregard as I now realize you weren’t referring to the Toney play on Sunday.

Edited by K-9

3 hours ago, shrader said:

This story from a few years ago has been popping up a bit since Sunday. They ask if they’re lined up properly too. 

Interesting. What's the issue there? That the receiver was not on the LOS?

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The referee said offsides.

27 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I think you might be talking about a different play? This is the one with McLaurin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1yfYZChP8

Me thinks y’all aren’t talking about the same thing 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Me thinks y’all aren’t talking about the same thing 

Possibly.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Interesting. What's the issue there? That the receiver was not on the LOS?

The story linked above by @shrader is what I was replying to.

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that some sort of, uh, facility? Would be a heckuva HIPAA violation.

If you mean Barstool Sports, then yes.

I've seen other clips from there with that guy. I don't find them all that funny, for the exact reason you are infering.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If you mean Barstool Sports, then yes.

I've seen other clips from there with that guy. I don't find them all that funny, for the exact reason you are infering.

I’ve blocked every account affiliated with that organization.  Scumbags through and through.  Misogynistic, womanizing garbage.  Also, not entertaining or funny. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Point of clarity: you can have as many players on the LOS as you want, but you need a minimum of seven. Although lining up 11 makes absolutely no sense and you’d render most of them ineligible as receivers as only the two at the ends would be eligible. 

Your point about formation is a good one as WRs often check to see if they’re covering/uncovering an end man as required or not as well as checking if they’re onside. It’s funny that you say “Am I good” as I’ve heard exactly that several times while being within earshot on the sidelines in the past. 

Interesting.  TIL.

Even more interestingly, if the O does have more than 7 players on the LOS, then they effectively remove an eligible receiver from the formation because only the 2 players on the outside of line of players at the LOS can be eligiible to receive a pass.

Knew that an eligible receiver had to be on each end.  Thought you could only have 5 players in between them.  That's ONLY true if you want your other 3 players eligible to receive a pass.

🍺

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Why isn't offencive offsides not an automatic whistle like, say, illegal motion?

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I think it’s because offside is not a procedure infraction like false starts, illegal motion, etc.

Pretty sure that's correct.

They let defensive offsides play out unless they're concerned for the QB's safety.  Makes sense that offensive offsides plays out the same way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Why isn't offencive offsides not an automatic whistle like, say, illegal motion?

It is not illegal to be offside until the ball is put into play, which means it's not a pre-snap penalty. Same thing with illegal formations. They're only illegal when the ball is hiked.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure that's correct.

They let defensive offsides play out unless they're concerned for the QB's safety.  Makes sense that offensive offsides plays out the same way.

Encroachment is different from defensive offside and is a pre-snap penalty.

Edited by JujuFish
  • Thanks (+1) 3