Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Almost control our own destiny again. 

We do control our own destiny, with some cushion actually. 3 games in hand on Isles and we play them once more.

Yesterday went perfect for the Sabres.

Isles, Pens, Sens, Caps and Red Wings all lost and all lost in regulation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We do control our own destiny, with some cushion actually. 3 games in hand on Isles and we play them once more.

Not to be too snarky (yeah right) but does this mean anything more than if we win out we're in? 103 points. There's just so little room for error.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not to be too snarky (yeah right) but does this mean anything more than if we win out we're in? 103 points. There's just so little room for error.

Let's put it this way. The Islanders, your second wild card, are on pace for....90 points.

The Panthers are 89.

The Sabres are 88.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It means if we win our 3 games in hand and beat the Isles in regulation we will have a 3 point lead on the Isles everything else being equal.

Obviously we still have to play well in the other numerous games but all in all we are in about as good of a spot as we could have hoped for after how last week went with us and with the other teams 

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It means if we win our 3 games in hand and beat the Isles in regulation we will have a 3 point lead on the Isles everything else being equal.

Obviously we still have to play well in the other numerous games but all in all we are in about as good of a spot as we could have hoped for after how last week went with us and with the other teams 

And even with EVERYTHING going wrong last week, they were never more than 7 points out with games in hand to make some of that up.  Play at an NHL 0.600 and they have a chance.  Play above that and they don't need luck to get in and can take care of their own destiny.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And even with EVERYTHING going wrong last week, they were never more than 7 points out with games in hand to make some of that up.  Play at an NHL 0.600 and they have a chance.  Play above that and they don't need luck to get in and can take care of their own destiny.

The problem is the Sabres play really well when chasing teams and not so well once they catch them. Happened 3 or 4 times now and they can never seem to put it together once they actually have caught up and are in a position to leapfrog them.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The problem is the Sabres play really well when chasing teams and not so well once they catch them. Happened 3 or 4 times now and they can never seem to put it together once they actually have caught up and are in a position to leapfrog them.

You keep saying that, but don't actually believe it is true.  Believe the causation you've identified is merely a correlation with their propensity to play poorly at home but very good on the road.  When they are healthy that is.

They've put themselves into a playoff spot IIRC twice so far.  The 1st time they then played Calgary Carolina at home where the Sabres rarely win except when they're wearing B&R for whatever reason.  And the other time, Alex Tuch went out of the lineup for 8 games and Dahlin missed 2 or 3 games.

Edited by Taro T
Had those 2 home games backwards. D'oh!

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Technically, no. Florida has the tie breaker on us and is 2 points up and we have 1 in hand, so we don’t technically control our own destiny. Edit - nm, we play Florida so in effect we DO

We did have a very unlikely and lucky out of town scoreboard to your point which helps - like I was saying before even a couple games can shift the math quick 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I actually had to look up that winning out would only leave us with 103. Kinds crazy 

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Florida has a tie breaker on us I think, which is why I said "almost".  We can go ahead of the isles if we keep winning though, that is correct. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Florida has a tie breaker on us I think, which is why I said "almost".  We can go ahead of the isles if we keep winning though, that is correct. 

Yeah, had misread that Florida Sabres tiebreaker myself; he might've done likewise.

But the Sabres do play them again, so win the game in hand and win the head to head game and then play as well or better than the Cats do the rest of the way (those other 14 remaining games) and the Sabres hold their own destiny again.

-So Minnesota.....Have only lost 1 of their last 16 game in regulation (and that was a one goal loss to Colorado). 

-The Kings have the 5th best record in the NHL since the first of the year, and are the best in the West since then.

-Look at the last 10 games that every team has played and the most points in their last 10 games are all Western Conference teams up top (Min, L.A. Dallas, Nashville, Vegas)

I know the West is a lot weaker than the East this year, but I'm looking forward to the playoff series in the west, just becasue I have NO IDEA at how how it is all going to shake out.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

-So Minnesota.....Have only lost 1 of their last 16 game in regulation (and that was a one goal loss to Colorado). 

-The Kings have the 5th best record in the NHL since the first of the year, and are the best in the West since then.

-Look at the last 10 games that every team has played and the most points in their last 10 games are all Western Conference teams up top (Min, L.A. Dallas, Nashville, Vegas)

I know the West is a lot weaker than the East this year, but I'm looking forward to the playoff series in the west, just becasue I have NO IDEA at how how it is all going to shake out.

11 points separate 1st from 8th.  5 points separate 4th from 8th.  Every team has strengths which could carry them to the Finals.  Every team has flaws which could result in them getting knocked out in round 1.  The West is entirely up for grabs.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

11 points separate 1st from 8th.  5 points separate 4th from 8th.  Every team has strengths which could carry them to the Finals.  Every team has flaws which could result in them getting knocked out in round 1.  The West is entirely up for grabs.

Like a strippers boobs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.