Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

It all feels a bit too gimmicky to me.  First of all, crazy things can happen and the teams involved may wind up losing earlier than expected.  That could completely wipe out either of those scenarios.  Do you book a neutral site a few weeks in advance, maybe even sell some tickets, and then the game doesn't wind up happening?  Just settle it by winning percentage and be done with it.

Presuming week 18 wins for Bills and Chiefs, and if the league went the "neutral site for Bills-Chiefs championship game," then I think they'd reserve Indi's facility and only sell tix if and when the game materialized. Simple enough.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

the bye week is the big carrot

absolutely

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, it's gimmicky, but by virtue of playing in a division where the other teams are roughly as good as the AFC South, even though KC lost to both Buffalo and Cincy they'll end up w/ the bye week and also hosting the AFC Championship game for something like the 5th time in a row simply because the Bills & Bengals weren't given the opportunity to earn 1 more win.

Slightly surprised they aren't talking about allowing an 8th team into the playoffs on both sides (to keep from giving the Eagles or 9ers the only bye) to keep from having the 1 seed in the AFC providing such an advantage to the team that gets it.

Realize it would cause scheduling issues for the network(s) picking up the extra 2 games, but considering the ratings that playoff games get, they'd deal with it.  Or, the games could go to Prime Video.  Either way, the NFL makes even more money.

But expect the league is hoping for only one of Buffalo or KC to win w/ the Bengals losing as that leaves the 1 seed set regardless of what would've happened on Monday night.  (Yeah, that nonplayed game would've still affected seeding for the other slots, but the bye week is the big carrot & no road games only a 2ndary one; who you play over 3 weeks to get to the SB & where isn't as important as only having to play 2 games to get there.)

I would consider the neutral site game, but that other option about having the choice is the one that is way too gimmicky to me.  But really, let's face it, that isn't a choice at all.  It is essentially saying "hey top seed, you don't have home field anymore".

But as for Smell's comment about going to Indy, I get the feeling they'd choose a place like Vegas.  It's a perfect opportunity to bow to their new gambling overlords and it's also a location that really isn't all that convenient to anyone in the Buffalo/KC/Cincy grouping.  Indy's a bit too close to Cincy and maybe KC (too lazy to figure out the scale of the map).

How about this ...

Assuming all three teams win this weekend ... what if they don't count the week 17 win by KC over Denver? 

All three would end up counting 16 games in the standings to determine the top 3 seeds for the playoff.   No makeup game to cram in and no gimicky take this or that and no neutral site AFC Championship game.  Seeding would be figured in the usual ways.  Seems fair and reasonable to me, but what am I missing?  Bills would be 1 seed, KC 2 and Cincy 3, as they were at the start of week 17 play.  Problem(s) solved ??????

The non contest for Denver would not make a difference except in draft order I suppose, but that could be sorted out later.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

17 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

How about this ...

Assuming all three teams win this weekend ... what if they don't count the week 17 win by KC over Denver? 

All three would end up counting 16 games in the standings to determine the top 3 seeds for the playoff.   No makeup game to cram in and no gimicky take this or that and no neutral site AFC Championship game.  Seeding would be figured in the usual ways.  Seems fair and reasonable to me, but what am I missing?  Bills would be 1 seed, KC 2 and Cincy 3, as they were at the start of week 17 play.  Problem(s) solved ??????

The non contest for Denver would not make a difference except in draft order I suppose, but that could be sorted out later.

You can’t take a win away from a team. It is a very unique situation and I don’t know the answer but KC would rightfully be pissed if they took a win from them and dropped them to 2nd seed.

• Thanks (+1) 2

With 3 standout teams in the AFC, the 1 seed is more important than just the bye. The 2 and 3 teams have to play each other before playing the 1 seed (barring upsets, of course).  So the 1 seed only plays one other "elite" team, whereas the 2/3 seed will play two.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

According to my news feed, one option is to let an 8th team into the AFC playoffs and to go by winning percentage for seeding so that there is no bye.

That is an option.  It is not a good option.

So basically, if playing the Bills Cincy game might've altered who had the #1 seed or won the north & the teams that might've been effected by that decision meet, then if the game is 2 of Buffalo, Cincy, & KC it would be played at a neutral site and if the game is Concy- Ravens a coin flip would decide who hosts the game.

That's the proposal they'll be voting on tomorrow.  If it carries (expect it will), then Buffalo will need to beat the Pats & have KC lose to get the bye.  (Not sure if one team tying & the other doing what else needed to happen would give the Bills the bye.  Didn't feel like doing the calcs.)

So, at least this 1 week, we're all Raider fans because Buffalo needs a better winning percentage than KC to get 1st.  That would also give them the home game vs KC as KC couldn't have taken the 1 seed from Buffalo even w/ a Buffalo loss in Cincy.  An AFC Championship game between Buffalo & Cincy in that case would be in Buffalo w/ a Raven win Sunday & at a neutral site w/ a Cincy win Sunday.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Whatever happens Buffalo  Will win the Super Bowl no matter the bye or the seeding. 

This tragedy and absolute miracle will give Buffalo the boost they need and they will be unstoppable

It does kind of have that 2001 "Patriots" inevitability in hindsight vibe, doesn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Whatever happens Buffalo  Will win the Super Bowl no matter the bye or the seeding. 

This tragedy and absolute miracle will give Buffalo the boost they need and they will be unstoppable

I wish I could get there and it would make a hell of a story. But I'm not sure I think we're even making it to the SB, let alone winning it. 

No real reasoning, just gut feel. The team showed enough this year that I'm Proud to be a Buffolonian either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I wish I could get there and it would make a hell of a story. But I'm not sure I think we're even making it to the SB, let alone winning it. 

No real reasoning, just gut feel. The team showed enough this year that I'm Proud to be a Buffolonian either way. 

I'm not superstitious, but if I were, I'd lean this direction. The season feels cursed. Losing Hyde and Von for the season, constant injuries to top players, Allen dealing with his elbow injury, now losing Hamlin in horrific fashion and losing control of our destiny for #1 seed.  And, let's be real, if any sports city is currently cursed, it's Buffalo.