GDT: Blues at Sabres, April 14 7:00 p.m.

That Aud Smell

25 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Well that was a frustrating game... a few miscues, crap goaltending and flukey bounces yet Sabres outplayed Blues for long stretches... though outcome with Eakin and Butcher in wasnt in doubt.... Power got schooled... missing Mule's presence hurt... sigh

Emphasis on missing Samuelsson.  Wow, was his absence obvious.

• Like (+1) 3

This game easily could have been 5-5 or even having the Sabres won. So many point blank chances they missed...out shot the Blues 69-41 overall.

They outplayed them, outworked them and were buzzing around in the Blue's end much of the game. Nothing to be upset about with the performance, Bennington made some great saves and they got some bad bounces.

They'll win 8 of the 10 times they play like they did tonight...it just happened to be one of the two others they don't.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This game easily could have been 5-5 or even having the Sabres won. So many point blank chances they missed...out shot the Blues 69-41 overall.

They outplayed them, outworked them and were buzzing around in the Blue's end much of the game. Nothing to be upset about with the performance, Bennington made some great saves and they got some bad bounces.

They'll win 8 of the 10 times they play like they did tonight...it just happened to be one of the two others they don't.

Eh. they would probably win only four out of five.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Hello Teammates, 

Sounds like I didn’t miss much tonight.   St Louis ia s big and talented veteran team. They have a fine goalie. Sounds like we didn’t burry our chances tonight.  

Worse news  - Vegas will pick up one pint on Dallas, two on the Kings and Preds. 

Move on to the next game. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Eh, what now? That was a colossal pile of defensive errors. Some of them made by the new kid. Horrible horrible hockey game . If that's the best we can do we are a very long way from truly competing (but I think we can do better, and will). 

I have no idea what you were watching, but it was not the same game as me. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Eh, what now? That was a colossal pile of defensive errors. Some of them made by the new kid. Horrible horrible hockey game . If that's the best we can do we are a very long way from truly competing (but I think we can do better, and will). 

I have no idea what you were watching, but it was not the same game as me. 

I saw the Sabres play a very good game. Bounces didn’t go their way. The way they played, most nights, would be a win.

What was horrible about their game?

What I saw was a StL team that hampered our opportunities by getting sticks and bodies in the way, played efficient, opportunistic hockey and buried the chances they had.

Our team is built well to compete with them, but they used guile and experience to counter our speed.

I keep seeing references to how big StL is.  We’re built to match that now.  Tage, Tuch, Power, Mule, Dahlin, Okie, Girgs.  We aren’t getting pushed off the puck like we used to.  StL didn’t physically beat us.  They beat us with grizzled vet experience and determination.

We need another Tuch or two to really show these kids the next step.  We’re close.

• Like (+1) 7

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

Our team is built well to compete with them, but they used guile and experience to counter our speed.

I keep seeing references to how big StL is.  We’re built to match that now.  Tage, Tuch, Power, Mule, Dahlin, Okie, Girgs.  We aren’t getting pushed off the puck like we used to.  StL didn’t physically beat us.  They beat us with grizzled vet experience and determination.

We need another Tuch or two to really show these kids the next step.  We’re close.

If I may build on this....another player like Tuch, who has size and plays with SPEED.  We can add big bodies, but it doesn't help if they can't keep up or drive the play like Alex does.  

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

What I saw was a StL team that hampered our opportunities by getting sticks and bodies in the way, played efficient, opportunistic hockey and buried the chances they had.

Yeah I didn’t get the references to how big St Louis is, the Sabres are now a big team. The Sabres could use a little more sandpaper but not a ton.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Wait! Is the game still going? Did he just score?

Or are you so far ahead, as per usual, that he scored in the next game, and it just hasn't started for us all yet?

I’m in Florida and the place I’m staying in has wonky internet service. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If I may build on this....another player like Tuch, who has size and plays with SPEED.  We can add big bodies, but it doesn't help if they can't keep up or drive the play like Alex does.  

My point regarding Tuch wasn’t really about size or speed.  It was about getting another playoff hardened vet or two with plenty of cred and tread left.  Another guy who can demonstrate to the kids what it takes to get past teams like StL.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I will.

You listed First Round Picks that were fifth overall.  #5 overall in the draft.

The 5th ROUND pick we got for Butcher will be somewhere between #129 and #160 overall.

Lol, google apparently didn't understand my request. I still hope whoever we pick is the next Jagr.

• Thanks (+1) 1

When watching this game it becomes evident that difference between winning and losing is not great. As others have stated the score didn't reflect how this game was played. Ultimately, the quality chances we had were not converted; the fewer quality chances they had were converted. The Blues are a well rounded veteran team. Even when the tide was working against them they continued to play their game. 

When discussing the goalie situation its like beating a dead horse, over and over again. This game is an example of what the difference is between good goalie play and average to below average goalie play. When there is a discussion about what the options are this offseason to upgrade the position most of them are unappealing. I don't know what the solution is. What I do know until that issue is satisfactorily addressed this team will not become a serious team. Anyone who is fair-minded has to acknowledge that the roster is steadily being upgraded. That positive step will be undercut until the goalie position is solidified. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Worked us on the PP, and they scored their point blank chances.  We either shot them into pads or just flat out missed the net.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

Worked us on the PP, and they scored their point blank chances.  We either shot them into pads or just flat out missed the net.

Alot of those missed nets were due to sticks and legs in the way.  StL did a fantastic job of clogging shooting lanes and rushing the shooter, something our team hasn’t quite developed yet.

• Like (+1) 2

I’ll add, the difference between Toronto and StL is, Toronto does not get sticks and bodies in the way to anywhere near the same extent StL did last night.

When I think of where we lack in terms of team defense, it’s not scheme or effort or backcheck, it’s our lack of “interference “ like StL showed last night.  They never gave our forwards breathing room.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When watching this game it becomes evident that difference between winning and losing is not great. As others have stated the score didn't reflect how this game was played. Ultimately, the quality chances we had were not converted; the fewer quality chances they had were converted. The Blues are a well rounded veteran team. Even when the tide was working against them they continued to play their game. 

When discussing the goalie situation its like beating a dead horse, over and over again. This game is an example of what the difference is between good goalie play and average to below average goalie play. When there is a discussion about what the options are this offseason to upgrade the position most of them are unappealing. I don't know what the solution is. What I do know until that issue is satisfactorily addressed this team will not become a serious team. Anyone who is fair-minded has to acknowledge that the roster is steadily being upgraded. That positive step will be undercut until the goalie position is solidified. 

Team needs a goalie who can steal more games.  And the defense in front needs to be better.  

They are 2-32-5 when they give up more than 4 goals.  39 of 76 games we've given up 4 or more goals.  That is awful.

42 games where the PDO (Shooting% + SV%) was below 100.  I feel like 100 shouldn't even be that difficult, that's 3 goals on 30 shots and the same .900 sv%.  

They can generate some offense but we still stink at shooting.  The defense could do more to block shots and generally help the goalies out.  And the goaltending this year has been some of the worst in the league. 

Skater stats: 25th in goals per game, 23rd in shooting%, 18th in PP%, 25th in PK%, #1 in shootout goal percentage.  

Goalie stats: 25th in GAA, 25th in SV%, 31st in Shootout SV% (leaving points on the table there), tied for last in shutouts.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ll add, the difference between Toronto and StL is, Toronto does not get sticks and bodies in the way to anywhere near the same extent StL did last night.

When I think of where we lack in terms of team defense, it’s not scheme or effort or backcheck, it’s our lack of “interference “ like StL showed last night.  They never gave our forwards breathing room.

It’s why StL will go deeper into the playoffs than TO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.