Who Does KA Trade at the Deadline and What Does He Get For Them?

GASabresIUFAN

UFAs : Eakin, Hinostroza, Caggiula, Jankowski, Hayden, Miller, Butcher, Hagg, Pysyk, Anderson, Subban, Dell and Tokarski.

Vets with one year remaining: Girgensons, Okposo and Bjork

RFA’s: Olofsson, Bryson, Murray and UPL.

The guys with the most value would seem like Hinostroza, Miller, and Pysyk of the UFAs. Girgensons and KO would have good value as well, but I don’t see either getting traded.  Bjork may have value for a team looking for PK help.

VO would have the most value, but given our cap situation and need of proven scoring, I don’t see him going anywhere either.

Obviously none of the UFA goalies have any value, except maybe Tokarski. 

Predictions: Vinnie, Miller and Bjork get traded for a 3rd, a 3rd, and a 5th.

KA also acquires Matt Murray for future considerations with Ottawa taking 50% retention.  

13 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The more important question to me is if they will re-sign Girgs and KO after next season?

+++++

I think some GM that thinks this is the year will give up a second for Miller.

It’s certainly possible.  To many factors though.  Are they still playing well?  What will be their role be at that point and going forward?  Does KA think their leadership is still needed? Which prospects are coming up? Do they even want to stay? How much do they want to stay in both years and $

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

UFAs : Eakin, Hinostroza, Caggiula, Jankowski, Hayden, Miller, Butcher, Hagg, Pysyk, Anderson, Subban, Dell and Tokarski.

The guys with the most value would seem like Hinostroza, Miller, and Pysyk of the UFAs. Girgensons and KO would have good value as well, but I don’t see either getting traded.  Bjork may have value for a team looking for PK help.

VO would have the most value, but given our cap situation and need of proven scoring, I don’t see him going anywhere either.

Obviously none of the UFA goalies have any value, except maybe Tokarski. 

Predictions: Vinnie, Miller and Bjork get traded for a 3rd, a 3rd, and a 5th.

KA also acquires Matt Murray for future considerations with Ottawa taking 50% retention.  

Was agreeing with everything until I saw this. Not a fan at all even with 50% retention. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Was agreeing with everything until I saw this. Not a fan at all even with 50% retention. 

Admittedly it’s a high risk high reward move.  I was looking for a $5 mill goalie to help us get to the cap next season and while Murray has struggled in recent years with a concussion and injuries he has played very well in the past, is only 27 and played well for Bales.  He is young enough to rebound if healthy.  I see him with the upside of Lehner once he got healthy. If Bales can get him healthy and restore his confidence, he’ll be a bargain.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Admittedly it’s a high risk high reward move.  I was looking for a $5 mill goalie to help us get to the cap next season and while Murray has struggled in recent years with a concussion and injuries he has played very well in the past, is only 27 and played well for Bales.  He is young enough to rebound if healthy.  I see him with the upside of Lehner once he got healthy. If Bales can get him healthy and restore his confidence, he’ll be a bargain.  

If we're spending, I would not want it with Murray.  I would spend it on veteran, mid-pairing, preferably right-shooting defencemen.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is it with Ottawa and goalies with concussion histories?

Maybe we lay off the concussed goalie with performance issues this time.

• Like (+1) 3

Expect Miller is definitely gone.  Could also see Subban or Tokarski (or Anderson should he ever get healthy) getting moved for something like a 5th to a team wanting a 3rd stringer to be playoff insurance.

Doubt they'd get even a 5th for Bjork, so doubt he moves.  If Butcher could bring back anything see him gone.

Maybe Hagg goes for a 5th or so if Samuelsson & Fitzgerald are playing well.

Expect Caggiula gone if he gets healthy for a low pick.  Could see either or both of Hinostroza or Eakin moved but won't be surprised either if both are back.

• Like (+1) 1

Of the teams in our playoff contention, 4, NYR, Nash, Det and Ana have 10 mill in cap space and should be buyers at the deadline.

Only Ott and Buffalo have huge cap to take on contracts from teams having to move someone out to bring in help at the deadline.  I hope KA will use that to our advantage.  Currently 18 team have little or no cap space. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

We traded future considerations for Subban & Butcher, there is very little chance we will be able to flip them for anything at the deadline, unless their play drastically improves. 

I can potentially see Miller, Eakin and Psysk flipped for a low draft pick to provide defensive depth insurance for teams looking to make a push. All the other JAGs that can barely squeak by on one of the worst teams in the league won't exactly be in-demand assets.

I wonder if GMKA gets the greenlight to essentially trade cap-space for draft capital (we take on a bad/bloated contract from a team which opens up cap space so they can make another move to make the money fit?).

I expect this to be a very uneventful deadline for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

We traded future considerations for Subban & Butcher, there is very little chance we will be able to flip them for anything at the deadline, unless their play drastically improves. 

I can potentially see Miller, Eakin and Psysk flipped for a low draft pick to provide defensive depth insurance for teams looking to make a push. All the other JAGs that can barely squeak by on one of the worst teams in the league won't exactly be in-demand assets.

I wonder if GMKA gets the greenlight to essentially trade cap-space for draft capital (we take on a bad/bloated contract from a team which opens up cap space so they can make another move to make the money fit?).

I expect this to be a very uneventful deadline for the Sabres.

Never say never.  Scandella allowed Moe-ray-all to upgrade a 4th into a 2nd.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Miller for sure. Somebody said a 2nd, that would be optimistic and just fine with me. 

MAYBE Eakin or Pysyk for whatever he can get. Can't imagine it'll be a huge return, but move them if you can.

Hinostroza is a long shot, maybe for "future considerations" lol

If he can move any of the other UFAs for anything, good job, well done. Doubt it'll happen. 

Doubt very much any of those vets or RFAs move. maybe Okposo will get a little interest, but probably only if we retain salary on the final year which I doubt we do. 

Bjork can go back to Iceland. 

Trading:

Hagg - 3rd - he's a nasty playoff type D someone will want as a 6-7 

Miller - 2nd - Someone bites on his offensive upside. They might end up offended but take a pick and run KA

Hayden - 6th - Extra size for the playoffs 

Hinestroza - 4th - Extra speed for the playoffs 

I could see KA taking on a contract for a 1st or 2nd if a contender gets desperate enough.

They definitely have the cap space.

I'd also sign Pysyk for atleast 2 more years.

If he falls to 7th on the depth chart in a couple years that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. 

If I was a GM of a contender in the market for a depth player of their type I would pay a:

• 3rd for Miller
  • 3rd or 4th for Hagg, Pysyk or a healthy Anderson
  • 4th or 5th for Hinostroza, Eakin, Butcher or Caggiula

Miller will be moved for sure. Adams will move any of the others if there is a market, but there is no guarantee there will be.

Don't sleep on Olofsson if someone makes a juicy offer. His cap hit is small for a top six winger and the extra year of control will have strong appeal.

Milller is an obvious move.  I don't see any team offering more than a 3rd for him.  I also don't see much of a market for any other veterans and I don't think we should be looking to move any young talent.  Most of the veterans are replacement level guys, so other teams already have comparable players and don't need to sacrifice and asset to obtain them.  I'd keep KO, Girgs, and Pysyk, as they are solid veterans who have some talent and provide leadership, which we need to have for the younger guys.

Skinner is also playing much better this year and has above-replacement-level talent, but no team will go near that contract.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the first year I really don't care if anyone is moved or not and for what.

If there is a guy who WANTS to move, who you decided you don't want here next year, AND someone is willing to give a pick for, go ahead.

7th or 6th rounders? Not really interested.  There are only so many contracts you can have signed long term...you aren't the penguins so there is no need to bring in any young guy you can.

Package a 6th or a 7th WITH a guy somone wants for depth and get a 4th rounder or sooner? Sure, go ahead.

After the Whistle podcast Peters says he's hearing the Sabre have a 1st on the table for a defenceman.

Friedman responded he hasn't heard that, but he wouldn't be surprised.

Peters then asked if it was true Chychrun is available.

Friedman says he is and his age and contract status fit exactly what the Sabres are trying to do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.