Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'd be interested in getting Kassian from Edmonton with a 2nd rd pick for future considerations.  Would free up just over $3 million in cap space for Edmonton to make other moves.  Sabres get a big physical winger for 3rd or 4th line.   Only signed for two more years which helps get Sabres get above cap floor.  

U want to give a second pick for him, or you expect them to give us one?

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I would post in the other thread, but for some reason, it's locked.

No one is untouchable. Do whatever it takes to make the team better.

Don't make the same mistake we made with Ullmark with Anderson. Great guy but he's not the future. Get some assets for him now. You could always resign him or hire him as a coach.

Miller is gone. Maybe Pysyk. I don't think I'd move Olafsson. Guy is just getting his touch back.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I would post in the other thread, but for some reason, it's locked.

No one is untouchable. Do whatever it takes to make the team better.

I locked it because it wasn’t supposed to be a generic topic about who we should and should not trade. It was supposed to be a topic about what happens to a close team where there may be 50% turnover in one or two years. I don’t know where I went wrong in the phrasing.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I locked it because it wasn’t supposed to be a generic topic about who we should and should not trade. It was supposed to be a topic about what happens to a close team where there may be 50% turnover in one or two years. I don’t know where I went wrong in the phrasing.

I think your phrasing was fine, but posters have the trade deadline on their minds and are all speculating who will be traded for what.

To answer your question, many trades will have a negative impact that could very easily set the team back.  Based on this and Adams' stated goal for this season I do not think he will be very active at the trade deadline.  The team is playing well together now and he will not want to upset that.  The offseason will be more active, IMO.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

That's fine. I don't know about the whole culture thing. I'm not sure it even matters, other than to the fan's who liked beating Jack and a pretty bad TO team.

36 minutes ago, SDS said:

It was a good topic.

i think the point of the Andersons, Pysyks etc. was to surround the Dahlins Thompsons and Cozens with the types of players that would show them the right way and allow them to emerge as leaders.

So when the turnover happens, the new guys will be coming in to the right culture and the new core would be ready to maintain that culture.

Part of it is also paying attention to the types of guys you're bringing in.

Reportedly, Quinn and Power are those types of guys. Presumably any vets targeted would fit the mould, at least if this regime is paying as much attention to this aspect of team building as we think.

• Like (+1) 2

Vogl on the Athletic has the Sabres as strictly sellers.  I think he's wrong.  It may end up that way, but after hearing KA's recent statements he's clearly looking for a couple of players with term that someone may let go cheap to make other moves.  Varlomov is the obvious example, but he isn't coming cheap, but there are others.  

As a related point, and as others have posted recently, I too would be happy to give Vinnie an extension.  He’s been a good player and seems like a good team guy, good forechecker, very good speed, good hockey IQ and I don’t think anyone would give up more than a 3rd or 4th rounder for him as a rental.  I also think the team would react well to him being rewarded with a new contract.

Nothing crazy, but 2 years x $2.5MM or so seems pretty reasonable and would represent good value IMHO.   He turns 28 in a few weeks and currently makes $1MM.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As a related point, and as others have posted recently, I too would be happy to give Vinnie an extension.  He’s been a good player and seems like a good team guy, good forechecker, very good speed, good hockey IQ and I don’t think anyone would give up more than a 3rd or 4th rounder for him as a rental.  I also think the team would react well to him being rewarded with a new contract.

Nothing crazy, but 2 years x $2.5MM or so seems pretty reasonable and would represent good value IMHO.   He turns 28 in a few weeks and currently makes $1MM.  

I'm willing to make him our Hagelin for a few years.

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I have zero problem generally with re-signing Vinnie, except where does he play? Right now we have 5/6 top 9 wingers locked in for next season in Skinner, Tuch, Krebs, Quinn, and KO.  The 6th is VO who is an RFA, one of our best goal scorers and a needed cap hit (strange as that sounds).  JJP is also waiting in the wings for his opportunity in the top 9.

We also have 3 "energy" wingers signed for next year in Asplund and Girgensons (although both can play center), plus a Bjork.  So where does Vinnie slot? 

Get KA to dump Girgensons and Bjork and I'd retain Vinnie in a heart beat.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have zero problem generally with re-signing Vinnie, except where does he play? Right now we have 5/6 top 9 wingers locked in for next season in Skinner, Tuch, Krebs, Quinn, and KO.  The 6th is VO who is an RFA, one of our best goal scorers and a needed cap hit (strange as that sounds).  JJP is also waiting in the wings for his opportunity in the top 9.

We also have 3 "energy" wingers signed for next year in Asplund and Girgensons (although both can play center), plus a Bjork.  So where does Vinnie slot? 

Get KA to dump Girgensons and Bjork and I'd retain Vinnie is a heart beat.

Someone’s always injured.  KO could hit the wall.  Quinn and/or JJP might need more time in Rochester.  Krebs might be better at C.  VO might be traded.  Bjork isn’t good enough to factor into this decision.  Zemgus has missed most of the last 2 seasons and might not be right when he returns.

I’d agree with your concern if we were talking about a big contract (like the VO discussion), but this is a different kettle of fish.  Vinnie can play up or down in the lineup and won’t be expensive.  

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Get KA to dump Girgensons and Bjork and I'd retain Vinnie is a heart beat.

I was thinking of Hinostroza, Girgensons, Asplund, Ruotsalainen, and Jankowski as candidate tentative 4th liners next year.  I would send Bjork to Rochester.  Maybe we drop Okposo here if Peterka or our 1st round pick make the roster.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

With the exception of Anderson, and maybe Hinostroza and Pysyk, I don’t get the impression that team culture is being impacted by the guys who may be moved.  I feel like the culture is more so being set by the younger guys.

Difficult thing to judge from the outside though.

Didn't realize Kuemper is a UFA after the season. Avs just resigned Francouz. He would be my number one target. Sabres could overpay for him on a 2 year deal. Would bring a ton of stability to the net.

And the Sabres aren't that far of. The idea that a UFA wouldn't come here doesn't hold water to me. A few moves this offseason and they can be a competitive team next season.

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

With the exception of Anderson, and maybe Hinostroza and Pysyk, I don’t get the impression that team culture is being impacted by the guys who may be moved.  I feel like the culture is more so being set by the younger guys.

I also don't see 50% of the roster changing.  Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Krebs, Cozens, Mittlestadt, Okposo, Girgensons, Dahlin, Jokiharu, Samuelsson, and Bryson are nailed in place.  For the prices being thrown around, I expect Hinostroza, Olofsson, and Asplund are staying.  I imagine Hagg, Pysyk, Butcher, and Miller to draw varying amounts of interest, but at most 3 are moved.  A hockey trade may be in the cards, but I don't see 10 people being changed between now and next season.  Indeed, I expect there to be a lot of continuity aside from a veteran RHD being added.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I also don't see 50% of the roster changing.  Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Krebs, Cozens, Mittlestadt, Okposo, Girgensons, Dahlin, Jokiharu, Samuelsson, and Bryson are nailed in place.  For the prices being thrown around, I expect Hinostroza, Olofsson, and Asplund are staying.  I imagine Hagg, Pysyk, Butcher, and Miller to draw varying amounts of interest, but at most 3 are moved.  A hockey trade may be in the cards, but I don't see 10 people being changed between now and next season.  Indeed, I expect there to be a lot of continuity aside from a veteran RHD being added.

What about two years?

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

I thought that too, but after listening to the post game interviews I am changing my mind regarding just how good guys like Eakin are in the room.  He was praised very highly in the one interview in particular.  Like, they went out of their way to give it.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thought that too, but after listening to the post game interviews I am changing my mind regarding just how good guys like Eakin are in the room.  He was praised very highly in the one interview in particular.  Like, they went out of their way to give it.

Eakin is the guy who came up with the photo shoot costume. He’s not a nobody.

Half the guys on the team our talking about a brotherhood. I’m not sure everyone’s reading/listening to their comments. 

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

Eakin is the guy who came up with the photo shoot costume. He’s not a nobody.

Half the guys on the team our talking about a brotherhood. I’m not sure everyone’s reading/listening to their comments. 

I think everyone in the room is aware of what is happening and what their place is in it.

The guys that know they are staying, like Krebs, talk about building something that is going to last for 20 years. Guys who know they are going, like Anderson, talk about helping them get there.

It’s possible Asplund/Olofsson/Krebs/Cozens/Mitts/Tage/Skinner/Okposo/Girgensons/Tuch/ Dahlin/Samuelsson/Jokiharju/Bryson/Fitzgerald will crumble without the “glue” of Hayden/Hino/Eakin/Pysyk/Hagg/Anderson.

But if they do, they aren’t the players and people Adams thinks they are, or the ones we want.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think everyone in the room is aware of what is happening and what their place is in it.

The guys that know they are staying, like Krebs, talk about building something that is going to last for 20 years. Guys who know they are going, like Anderson, talk about helping them get there.

It’s possible Asplund/Olofsson/Krebs/Cozens/Mitts/Tage/Skinner/Okposo/Girgensons/Tuch/ Dahlin/Samuelsson/Jokiharju/Bryson/Fitzgerald will crumble without the “glue” of Hayden/Hino/Eakin/Pysyk/Hagg/Anderson.

But if they do, they aren’t the players and people Adams thinks they are, or the ones we want.

Absolutely.  I also think that the guys will be happy for some of their mates if they get an opportunity to play on a playoff team.  I don't remember anyone being sad for Ray when he got traded to Ott for a chance at a Cup.  If KA trades Anderson to a contender, I think all the guys will be happy for him.  

Ultimately it comes down to the real leadership in the lockerroom.  Tuch, Skinner and KO seem to have the guys pulling together win or lose.  I think those leaders are strong enough to weather JAGs moving on to other teams.  

It's also not like KA is going to dump 10 guys overnight. He is going to look for value and to make sure he can field a roster in the NHL without decimating the AHL.

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

I forgot about Eakin.  I do think that there is a balance to be met there.

Is it worth it to keep Pysyk around if you think he is a good guy to place with Power as he adjusts to the NHL.

Is it worth it to keep Anderson because all the kids love him and he helps solidify the goaltending for the rest of the season.

Eakin?  Hinestroza?

I think there is a point where not upsetting the room is worth more than a 5th round pick or whatever.

I kind of trust Adams to make these personality based decisions.  It seems that he has so far constructed a locker room that is capable of staying positive through adversity, so I’m hopeful that he can keep that going.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.