Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

• spndnchz locked and unlocked this topic
5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Would be interested in Nick Foligno for this. Obviously contingent on him waiving NMC, but I don't think it's too far fetched considering he's from Buffalo. Boston has a decent amount of B-level prospects that would make sense in a package aswell. I just hope we wouldn't get another Bjork.

3 minutes ago, NAF said:

Would be interested in Nick Foligno for this. Obviously contingent on him waiving NMC, but I don't think it's too far fetched considering he's from Buffalo. Boston has a decent amount of B-level prospects that would make sense in a package aswell. I just hope we wouldn't get another Bjork.

No thanks

20 minutes ago, NAF said:

How and why would this work?  I’m not grasping it.

Why would Boston, a playoff team, trade away a veteran that they signed in the offseason specifically for his veteran/leadership/playoff provenness?  And why would Foligno waive to come to Buffalo when I’m sure he signed with Boston so he could be on a playoff team?

Whole thing seems backwards.  Am I missing details?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So in regards to players with 1 year still after this year we might look at to take on for a price? Who is out there?

Zucker 1x5.5mil

Hornquist 1x5.3mil

Can anyone think of others worth looking at?

I’ll take Horny

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I think this means that he is willing to retain salary on a player that a contending team is acquiring, even if it’s for more than one season.  Not that he wants to take on a cap dump type roster player.

It says willing to take on salary, not take on players.

Just my interpretation when I read it.

@triumph_communes@thewookie1

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Couldn't we also trade a guy like Colin Miller, retain all of his salary if we get a 1st round pick for him in return? Also do the same thing for Victor Olofsson? Who I think are our best trading chips at the deadline.

You can only retain 50% max, 75% if through 2 teams

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Gotchya, still at 50% retain it can be workable for sure for both players.

Yes, I would expect the Sabres to retain salary, probably the full 50%, on basically any player that they trade at the deadline.  

7 hours ago, Curt said:

Yes, I would expect the Sabres to retain salary, probably the full 50%, on basically any player that they trade at the deadline.  

But they could also retain salary on a player that gets traded to the Sabres then gets traded to a third team.  If two teams are up against the cap and the trading team can't retain, they can do a three-way deal where the player comes to the Sabres, they retain 50%, then the player is traded to the third team.  Such a player would shown on the Sabres cap space for whatever they retain but would never play for the team (similar to what they did with Johnny Boychuck to get to the salary floor). 

I kind of think this could mean that they pay for some players who pass through the org just for the purpose of reaching the cap floor, and getting draft picks without getting back anything to win now (i.e., still playing the futures game).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

But they could also retain salary on a player that gets traded to the Sabres then gets traded to a third team.  If two teams are up against the cap and the trading team can't retain, they can do a three-way deal where the player comes to the Sabres, they retain 50%, then the player is traded to the third team.  Such a player would shown on the Sabres cap space for whatever they retain but would never play for the team (similar to what they did with Johnny Boychuck to get to the salary floor). 

I kind of think this could mean that they pay for some players who pass through the org just for the purpose of reaching the cap floor, and getting draft picks without getting back anything to win now (i.e., still playing the futures game).

Absolutely, I would be disappointed if they don’t find a way to make a couple deals like this where they act as a cap space broker.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Absolutely, I would be disappointed if they don’t find a way to make a couple deals like this where they act as a cap space broker.

I would think they retain on Miller and then have 2 spaces to use for 3rd party deals. Guess it all depends on which team is interested in which player and what return they will offer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

The cap space they are providing for a team to get a Giroux has got to be worth a decent pick. Most of the contenders are at or near the cap so they cannot bring on that type of player without the Flyers retaining 50% and the broker retaining  50% of the remaining amount.

Teams get a little goofy at the deadline especially if a rival covets the same player.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Agree. There’s just no value of Kane to a team this young…especially if you have to give up assets to obtain him.  The Hawks would be doing him an injustice.  

A two year deal next offseason as a UFA for reasonable money to take the heat off of Quinn & Skinner? I’ll consider it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.