Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

I forgot about Eakin.  I do think that there is a balance to be met there.

Is it worth it to keep Pysyk around if you think he is a good guy to place with Power as he adjusts to the NHL.

Is it worth it to keep Anderson because all the kids love him and he helps solidify the goaltending for the rest of the season.

Eakin?  Hinestroza?

I think there is a point where not upsetting the room is worth more than a 5th round pick or whatever.

I kind of trust Adams to make these personality based decisions.  It seems that he has so far constructed a locker room that is capable of staying positive through adversity, so I’m hopeful that he can keep that going.

Eakin hurts the team on the ice, it's great he's a fun guy but if you're serious about winning, you can't keep relying on him. Regardless of how likable he is to others. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SDS said:

What about two years?

Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Krebs, Cozens, Mittlestadt, Dahlin, Jokiharu, Samuelsson, and Bryson make 10.  Some people they bring in next year will stay.  I don't know what happens with Okposo, Girgensons, Hinostroza, et al.  I actually expect at least one of them to be here.  Maybe Asplund, Hayden, Jankowski, etc. shuttle between Buffalo and Rochester.  That is still a fair amount of continuity.

I also expect the players should anticipate there being changes.  50% turnover in a rebuilding team over 2 years is hardly outlandish.  If I were GMKA, I would ask each player who really helped them keep going when there was adversity and emphasise keeping them if at all possible.  However, performance matters and the players know it.  No matter how popular someone is, that person is likely to be let go if he is doing poorly enough.  And GMKA may not trade everyone who might be movable at the deadline for late round picks -- he might figure that it would be easier for the team to deal with players leaving after locker clean out.  Indeed, it would be a blunder to trade, say, all 4 veteran defencemen and a slew of forwards at the deadline for late picks or deck shuffling at the bottom of the roster.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I thought that too, but after listening to the post game interviews I am changing my mind regarding just how good guys like Eakin are in the room.  He was praised very highly in the one interview in particular.  Like, they went out of their way to give it.

I also will add another thought.  If these leader veterans are really jiving with the young guys and the whole group is tight, it’s probably because these young guys have their heads on right in the first place and maybe they will be ok regardless?  Not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I also will add another thought.  If these leader veterans are really jiving with the young guys and the whole group is tight, it’s probably because these young guys have their heads on right in the first place and maybe they will be ok regardless?  Not sure.

Sam had his head in the right place. But Kane didn't. That was a mess. 

Surround the youngest with good people. Deviate and bad things happen.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Eakin hurts the team on the ice, it's great he's a fun guy but if you're serious about winning, you can't keep relying on him. Regardless of how likable he is to others. 

Give him a job as the faceoffs development coach for next season for Buffalo and Rochester.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Hate lose him... great leader and mentor for goalies coming up... If price is right hard to turn down.

Wouldn't do it for less than a 3rd.

However, if we plan to sign both Levi and Portillo now — as seems to be board consensus — we will need to clear space if we want them to play.

My ideal deadline would involve

• trading most of Anderson, Miller, Butcher, Hagg, Eakin, Pysyk and Hinostroza for picks
  • taking on some (hopefully useful) cap dumps for picks and/or prospects.
  • signing Johnson, Power, Levi and a college FA dman
  • acquiring a veteran RHD to partner with Power and an undervalued/blocked abrasive middle six forward for picks or players

Not much time left for the non-college moves. Adams doesn't need to make big moves, but he needs to be active.

My opinion of him is definitely going to be significantly shaped by what he does. He can't let his cap space go to waste.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Florida Panthers. Buffalo will get a bag of pucks but Anderson will sign another sweet 1 year deal here.

Don't get me wrong, I like Anderson, but why?  UPL and Levi will be playing in Buffalo in the fall.  And Portillo will be right behind them.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Anderson, but why?  UPL and Levi will be playing in Buffalo in the fall.  And Portillo will be right behind them.

Levi won't be ready, he'll start in Roch.  UPL gets his chance in Buffalo.   Portillo stays at Michigan or goes back to Sweden to play pro.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Levi won't be ready, he'll start in Roch.  UPL gets his chance in Buffalo.   Portillo stays at Michigan or goes back to Sweden to play pro.

I think if we don't sign Portillo this summer he'll go the the UFA route. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

UPL gets his year with Anderson that he should have had. 

Edit.

I don't believe KA wants to trade him at all. I think he wants him here for Levi's game or two this year also. Anderson is supposed to have said he would take it as a huge favor if KA made a deal with the Panthers. He believes they have a legit shot at the cup.

Edited by woods-racer

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think if we don't sign Portillo this summer he'll go the the UFA route. 

I believe that means he'd need to play two additional years at Michigan as he's only a sophomore? 

All the big dogs on that team are turning pro... Power, Johnson, Beniers, Brisson, etc... I don't think he goes back.   

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I really don't want to see a lot of players leave.  Even if they'll "leave for nothing" in the offseason.  What are they realistically going to get for Hinostroza?  A third-round pick?  Just keep him, then.

For me, it comes down to is the mentoring and possible winning more valuable to the kids we have now than the pick is going to be later?  There is alot of value in the mentoring, and alot of value in finishing the season strong.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

For me, it comes down to is the mentoring and possible winning more valuable to the kids we have now than the pick is going to be later?  There is alot of value in the mentoring, and alot of value in finishing the season strong.

Yessir.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I believe that means he'd need to play two additional years at Michigan as he's only a sophomore? 

All the big dogs on that team are turning pro... Power, Johnson, Beniers, Brisson, etc... I don't think he goes back.   

That's true, but if he's not signed this summer than next year he has the option of playing at Michigan one more year and becoming a UFA (and finishing his degree, which he may or may not care about). I don't think he has anything left to prove at the college level. If Adams sees it differently I disagree, but I'm sure his people know more about that than I do. If Adams wants to send him back to college simply to slide his contract a year I think that would be short sighted and foolish of him. 

Also true about the players you mentioned leaving this year, but I don’t think that impacts the decision he makes next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, woods-racer said:

UPL gets his year with Anderson that he should have had. 

Edit.

I don't believe KA wants to trade him at all. I think he wants him here for Levi's game or two this year also. Anderson is supposed to have said he would take it as a huge favor if KA made a deal with the Panthers. He believes they have a legit shot at the cup.

This. If Anderson wants a shot at a cup, find a way to make that happen. Almost don't care what the return is, you set the guy up. Maybe have him back next year if he's up for it.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MattPie said:

This. If Anderson wants a shot at a cup, find a way to make that happen. Almost don't care what the return is, you set the guy up. Maybe have him back next year if he's up for it.

Anderson got a close up look at the development rinks and facilities in Buffalo.

At the very least, maybe he'll return as an instructor and goaltending development coach?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.