Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Ok I'll take that argument, so say he's being paid 4-4.5M per season where do you see him fitting? Line 1 over Tuch? Line 2 over jack Quinn? Line 2 over J.J. Peterka? He'll be 27 at the start of next season. that's great that he made a nice shot the other night but he doesn't do it nearly enough. His rookie season was his best with 20 goals and 42 points in 52 games, 13 goals in 2020 and 32 points in 56 games and this year now he has injury concerns, 10 goals and 27 points in 50 games so far. This to me is a very replaceable player imo.

I'm good with having VO at that price as a 2W or 3W, he can play either wing just fine and then add in the PP time. Granted, if someone throws an insane trade offer for him, why not. But that's unlikely.

I'm not convinced JJP makes the opening night roster next season, and if he does he's likely a bottom 6. Quinn now has health concerns of his own (missing extensive time in back-to-back seasons) and still needs to work on his all-around game. Signing VO to a contract won't block Quinn if he's good enough, but the team has no financial concerns for the next few seasons if they're continuing to build with the kids. They need to add $6M in the offseason just to replace Boychuk's reach-the-cap-floor contract. Olofsson is replaceable, but you've got to make sure he is replaced adequately before moving him.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'm good with having VO at that price as a 2W or 3W, he can play either wing just fine and then add in the PP time. Granted, if someone throws an insane trade offer for him, why not. But that's unlikely.

I'm not convinced JJP makes the opening night roster next season, and if he does he's likely a bottom 6. Quinn now has health concerns of his own (missing extensive time in back-to-back seasons) and still needs to work on his all-around game. Signing VO to a contract won't block Quinn if he's good enough, but the team has no financial concerns for the next few seasons if they're continuing to build with the kids. They need to add $6M in the offseason just to replace Boychuk's reach-the-cap-floor contract. Olofsson is replaceable, but you've got to make sure he is replaced adequately before moving him.

I like Vic, but I think a top 9 that includes Skinner, Mittelstadt, Krebs and VO (and to a lesser extent Tuch and Tage) could use more snarl and/or sandpaper. Cozens can’t carry that load all on his own.

We need to add a middle six player with some edge. Given Victor’s age and contract situation, his trade value and the fact JJ and Quinn and possibly Rosen are coming behind him, he is the most likely chip to trade.

I still am really intrigued by Max Comtois and would like to see them explore trading Vic for a player his age and style.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

You trade Oloffson.  His next contract begins to get prohibitive to rookies expected to backfill right away  

You re sign Hinostroza for 2x2.  You do this to not gift any positions to 3rd/4th line rookies. You also do this because the salary is high enough other teams will blink before claiming off of waivers. 

Bjork is in the same boat, he is competition but nothing you worry about paying being a cap floor team. 

Edited by triumph_communes

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like Vic, but I think a top 9 that also includes Skinner, Mittelstadt, Krebs and VO (and to a lesser extent Tuch and Tage) could use more snarl and/or sandpaper. Cozens can’t carry that load all on his own.

We need to add a middle six player with some edge. Given Victor’s age and contract situation, his trade value and the fact JJ and Quinn and possibly Rosen are coming behind him, he is the most likely chip to trade.

I still am really intrigued by Max Comtois and would like to see them explore trading Vic for a player his age and style.

I don't think he even comes close to carrying it on his own. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like Vic, but I think a top 9 that also includes Skinner, Mittelstadt, Krebs and VO (and to a lesser extent Tuch and Tage) could use more snarl and/or sandpaper. Cozens can’t carry that load all on his own.

You have been touting Comtois for a long time. In many of your trade scenarios with Anaheim in the Jack sweepstakes you always included him on your wish list. Why do you think that he would be available? Are there whispers that he could be available? I'm more of a VO supporter than most are here. Although this has been a difficult season for him due to a nagging shoulder injury, I think it would be a mistake to trade the shooter. This team lacks offense. In 11 offensive categories we have no top twenty on the list. I would rather use draft capital (maybe 2nd rd) and take on a salary to get him if he were to become available. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You have been touting Comtois for a long time. In many of your trade scenarios with Anaheim in the Jack sweepstakes you always included him on your wish list. Why do you think that he would be available? Are there whispers that he could be available? I'm more of a VO supporter than most are here. Although this has been a difficult season for him due to a nagging shoulder injury, I think it would be a mistake to trade the shooter. This team lacks offense. In 11 offensive categories we have no top twenty on the list. I would rather use draft capital (maybe 2nd rd) and take on a salary to get him if he were to become available. 

These days, I’m more interested in the concept of Comtois than the player.

Comtois is having a terrible season, even more disappointing than Victor’s. He’s been completely out of favour since the season started and has been a healthy scratch. He should be available, and fairly cheaply, but the Sabres need to do their homework on his struggles.

What I like about the concept of Comtois is that he is a big body who engages physically and gets under the skin of opponents and is a bit of a Swiss Army knife. He can play centre and wing, on any line, and in all situations and matches our age window. He also has enough talent to score 20 goals. We don’t have a young player like that except Cozens and we need one.

I get the whole “we’re not talented enough to move good players” but this would about team-building - moving a good player to create space for other good players who are better fits. Quinn is eventually going to make Victor redundant.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Comtois is having a terrible season, even more disappointing than Victor’s. He’s been completely out of favour since the season started and has been a healthy scratch. He should be available, and fairly cheaply, but the Sabres need to do their homework on his struggles.

What I like about the concept of Comtois is that he is a big body who engages physically and gets under the skin of opponents and is a bit of a Swiss Army knife. He can play centre and wing, on any line, and in all situations and matches our age window. He also has enough talent to score 20 goals. We don’t have a young player like that except Cozens and we need one.

I get the whole “we’re not talented enough to move good players” but this would about team-building - moving a good player to create space for other good players who are better fits. Quinn is eventually going to make Victor redundant.

I agree with the concept of what you are saying but respectfully disagree in trading VO in a deal for Comtois. This team lacks scorers. We don't have one player in the top twenty in any of the offensive categories. I don't see Quinn replacing VO because I believe that Quinn will be playing on a higher line than VO. If VO returns to form and becomes a good third line sniper I would consider that a positive role. 

I wouldn't mind acquiring a player like Comtois. However, not in an exchange for VO.  

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with the concept of what you are saying but respectfully disagree in trading VO in a deal for Comtois. This team lacks scorers. We don't have one player in the top twenty in any of the offensive categories. I don't see Quinn replacing VO because I believe that Quinn will be playing on a higher line than VO. If VO returns to form and becomes a good third line sniper I would consider that a positive role. 

I wouldn't mind acquiring a player like Comtois. However, not in an exchange for VO.  

I agree the team has lacked scorers this year, but the injuries of Tuch and Mitts are a big part of that. Their health plus growth from Quinn, Krebs and Cozens should more than make up for the loss of 25 from VO, especially when this exercise also includes 15 from Comtois.

How are you upping the snarl factor in the top 9 while also saving a spot for Victor?

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree the team has lacked scorers this year, but the injuries of Tuch and Mitts are a big part of that. Their health plus growth from Quinn, Krebs and Cozens should more than make up for the loss of 25 from VO, especially when this exercise also includes 15 from Comtois.

How are you upping the snarl factor in the top 9 while also saving a spot for Victor?

One thing that we have learned from this season is that injuries are an inescapable part of the game for all teams. You have to have depth to draw from when players are unavailable. One thing that I'm not going to consider a negative is having more than enough players to fill spots when players go down or if a player needs some down time to recover from a nagging injury. 

Where it seems that we are not in accord is that you are taking an either/or stance while I'm arguing that you can have both. My position is that this team has enough assets to acquire a player such as Comtois (as an example) and still comfortably keep VO. Having a greater pool of talent to draw from to assemble quality multiple lines is a problem that Granato would love to have. And as a coach one of his strengths is in assembling lines and pairings. Having too much is certainly better than not having enough. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agree, would like to see a legit power forward type player on each scoring line.  Saw Comtois play a little earlier this week...saw bits of speed, good hands and vision.  If given a chance to swap with VO, I would make that deal.

I think it’s possible, and KA should try, to both resign VO and keep looking for a forward with some edge.  The Sabres have a ton of assets to use in trade.  They don’t have to use VO.

Of course, it all depends on VO’s contract demands.  

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres possibly on the block. (Although I doubt anyone with term or control will be traded)

1) Victor Olofsson - RFA

2) Cody Eakin - UFA

3) Bjork - 1yr left 1.6

4) Girgensons - 1 yr left 2.2

5) Asplund - 1 yr left then RFA @ 825K

6) Hinostroza - UFA

7) Hayden - UFA

8.) Anderson - UFA

9) Hagg - UFA  (Traded to Fla for a 6th)

10) Butcher - UFA 

11) Miller - UFA

12) Pysyk - UFA

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres possibly on the block. (Although I doubt anyone with term or control will be traded)

1) Victor Olofsson - RFA

2) Cody Eakin - UFA

3) Bjork - 1yr left 1.6

4) Girgensons - 1 yr left 2.2

5) Asplund - 1 yr left then RFA @ 825K

6) Hinostroza - UFA

7) Hayden - UFA

8.) Anderson - UFA

9) Hagg - UFA  (Traded to Fla for a 6th)

10) Butcher - UFA 

11) Miller - UFA

12) Pysyk - UFA

UFA’s … I personally wouldn’t mind keeping Hinostroza and Pysyk around another year. I like their contributions. 

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

@nfreeman Why would this be pinned if it’s just talking potential Sabres traded? Normally, everyone gets their own topic.

Trades that aren't for the Sabres I would imagine. Similar to the FA frenzy thread on TSW. Just my opinion though

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Trades that aren't for the Sabres I would imagine. Similar to the FA frenzy thread on TSW. Just my opinion though

Wrong thread my mistake. There's already a thread for what I'm describing.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Wrong thread my mistake. There's already a thread for what I'm describing.

Exactly. This is sort of like the week heading up to the big day that are replaced by game day topics and we have one for other trades.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.