GDT-Sabres @ Kings 10/31/21-4:00pm est

Norcal

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

2.  Cozens is the de facto 1C while Pullup and Attitude Problem are out.  That means he can't get sucked into 5-minute majors by the likes of Lemieux.  Shape up, kid.

Were I Donnie Meatballs I’d be giving Cozens the hairdryer treatment on high about this.  

Even if Mitts and the Masshole were out there, it’s not 1987 and there’s just no need for Dylan to be fighting at all ever.  Hopefully this gets imparted to him emphatically and he takes the lesson.  

• Like (+1) 2

I was at the Bills game today.  Started tailgating at 9:00. 

I caught a little of the second and the end of the third.  Enough to see the game tying and go ahead goals for LA.  Losing leads on the road is not uncommon for a very young team.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Sabres haven't shown much since scoring their two goals.

4th game in a row they've had either a bad 2nd period, 3rd period, or on multiple occasions both.  They need to find a way to keep the early intensity up.

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Boy this was the one I thought we needed to go .500 on this road trip.

They pretty much ALWAYS beat the Snarks.  Regardless of how good or bad either team is, the Sabres win that matchup way more often than not.  That's been the "get to 0.500" game since they beat the Ducks.  The other 2 were the get some breathing room over a playoff pace games because they'll definitely need it when they finally hit a stretch if good teams.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Just a few observations.

1.  This team was without energy and boring.  This isn't like the Boston loss.  This is "hey, we won one in OT so let's not bother too hard tonight, ok, boys?"  Terrible, and that's on the captains.

This is where Granato has to earn his pay because a team with less talent cannot afford an off-night.  We all know it's a long season, but seeing compete issues this early needs to be rectified by the HC ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Were I Donnie Meatballs I’d be giving Cozens the hairdryer treatment on high about this.  

Even if Mitts and the Masshole were out there, it’s not 1987 and there’s just no need for Dylan to be fighting at all ever.  Hopefully this gets imparted to him emphatically and he takes the lesson.  

Emphatically no. 

It may not be 1987 but it's still hockey and they still intimidate and they still fight and I personally want Cozens to develop into a complete player. The problem is he shouldn't have to take on a punk like Lemieux by himself. My question would be where was the follow up with Murray vs. Lemieux as they talked but ...............

We need to be bigger and tougher, there is no question of this. 

My issue with this team right now is why are we almost always out of gas in the 3rd?  

We have young guys all up and down the roster but every game we run out of gas so what is it? Bad conditioning? Skating skills unable to maintain the pace Granato asks for (so we start fast but burn out)? Practicing too much and too hard? idk, but if we don't fix this, what we have will burn out and we will fall apart by mid season if not earlier. 

Not a great game but it had it's moments. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Emphatically no. 

It may not be 1987 but it's still hockey and they still intimidate and they still fight and I personally want Cozens to develop into a complete player. The problem is he shouldn't have to take on a punk like Lemieux by himself. My question would be where was the follow up with Murray vs. Lemieux as they talked but ...............

My issue with this team right now is why are we almost always out of gas in the 3rd?  

We have young guys all up and down the roster but every game we run out of gas so what is it? Bad conditioning? Skating skills unable to maintain the pace Granato asks for (so we start fast but burn out)? Practicing too much and too hard? idk, but if we don't fix this, what we have will burn out and we will fall apart by mid season if not earlier. 

Not a great game but it had it's moments. 

I asked the same question against Anaheim, where they were more rested.  The Kings we’re coming off a Saturday game, and the Sabres with Friday and Saturday off.   Unacceptable result.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Emphatically no. 

There are many ways to be tough. Dylan Cozens does not need to be fighting. Ever.  Come to think of it, nobody does, really, but that's a wider conversation.

Giving dude a smile and thanking him for the power play might have benefitted the team more in that situation...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

4th game in a row they've had either a bad 2nd period, 3rd period, or on multiple occasions both.  They need to find a way to keep the early intensity up.

They pretty much ALWAYS beat the Snarks.  Regardless of how good or bad either team is, the Sabres win that matchup way more often than not.  That's been the "get to 0.500" game since they beat the Ducks.  The other 2 were the get some breathing room over a playoff pace games because they'll definitely need it when they finally hit a stretch if good teams.

That's what she / he said.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

I think they are tired. And other teams are starting to game plan for them. Maybe Donnie needs to tone down practice some to keep them fresh.

That said, they still generated chances to score in the third. Hopefully Mitts is back soon. Not panic mode yet.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We just have so much trouble against bulkier teams

Excellent observation. Once LA starting working their offense down low instead of from the perimeter they controlled the play. They created congestion our net and it was difficult for the Sabres too move them. The stronger team prevailed. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Excellent observation. Once LA starting working their offense down low instead of from the perimeter they controlled the play. They created congestion our net and it was difficult for the Sabres too move them. The stronger team prevailed. 

Yea excellent, the 2lbs overall lighter Sabres just couldn't handle it. Sabres better get heavier or something. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2021-2022

The answer is not size and never has been. It is talent. The Sabres do not have enough talent to overcome playing at anything less than 100% for 60 minutes. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Yea excellent, the 2lbs overall lighter Sabres just couldn't handle it. Sabres better get heavier or something. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2021-2022

The answer is not size and never has been. It is talent. The Sabres do not have enough talent to overcome playing at anything less than 100% for 60 minutes. 

There is no question that this team lacks talent. That's understood by people who are realistic. But in this game the more rugged and stronger team dominated the play around our net. And make no mistake about it physical statistics of a roster don't necessarily indicate how physically a team plays. In this game the stronger team controlled the play around our net. And as the game wore on it became more evident. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is no question that this team lacks talent. That's understood by people who are realistic. But in this game the more rugged and stronger team dominated the play around our net. And make no mistake about it physical statistics of a roster don't necessarily indicate how physically a team plays. In this game the stronger team controlled the play around our net. And as the game wore on it became more evident. 

The Sabres beat the Tampa Bay Lightning. They are the heaviest team in the league. The Sabres lost this game because they didn't skate and don't have the talent to overcome that. The physical nature of the game was because Buffalo didn't skate otherwise we would have seen Buffalo play a more physical game like they did against several teams they beat earlier in the year. 

The Sabres are not talented enough. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.