GDT: Buffalo vs Vancouver 10/19/21 7 pm MSG

bob_sauve28

The biggest problem getting fans back to KBC is the box office single game prices are ridiculous. Example…Tix for Fridays game in the corner of lower level bowl where Sabres shoot twice start at $138.  I wouldn’t pay that even if they were a Stanley Cup contender. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder how long they will let this keep going on, the plan was getting a top 3 pick.  

Didn't expect us to win from the canucks but here we are.

Wouldn’t worry about this myself. The chances of getting Wright even if we finish dead last is quite small. It’s a deep draft and we have multiple picks - I’d happily draft in the 20s instead and not have a better chance at Wright because if that’s where we are drafting, I’d argue we need him less. 

We do need centres (particularly a blue chipper) though which management definitely needs to see to in the next bit - which is why I mentioned earlier that pigeon-holing themselves into that needing to come from the top of the draft next year (by not adding any Cs of note yet) is a bit risky - we may not be there, at the top of the draft. 

But I’m willing to risk the wins for now because, besides being what this is all actually about, as mentioned I think overall the situation bodes better that way regardless of draft position. 

We certainly have seen drafting high is no guarantee 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I doubt these guys will be juiced to be playing against Hall and Ullmark.

They should be “juiced” to play against the most heinous, repulsive, nauseating mass hole team but I know the players don’t carry the hatred we do (but they should).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I caught bits and pieces at work, I went to go do a procedure at the end of the 2nd, I come back to my chair after and it's magically 4-2 barely into the 3rd, what happened?! 

Goals were scored. Music was played.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Aside from Jokiharju and Mittelstadt, who have only played the 1 game, every sabre except Hagg, Pysyk, and Ruotsalainen has registered a point - and we are hardly counting on Hagg and Pysyk to provide offense. 

That's pretty interesting, and I credit Granato 

• Like (+1) 4

Quick note, the thread title should be Vancouver vs Buffalo. The home team always comes second or at least should. 

More importantly. The Sabres currently sit 3rd in expected goals% at 5v5 with 63% (depends on the model but this is roughly where it is). This number won't stabilize enough until game 10 but it is good to be be controlling play this early. 

I took Tom Webster up on his ticket offer earlier up-thread, and I've got to say that was the most entertaining Sabres game I've been to in a long time. I was also at the AZ game but this one was a lot more fun.

My observations:

Tage has taken some steps this year. He's noticeably using his big ass to protect the puck from defenders and create space which I imagine is a by-product of him growing into his frame and him knowing he can't toe-drag every time he has the puck. 

In both games I've went to, I've seen Cozens have some atrocious shifts, but he seems to shake it off. The mistakes are expected for his sophomore year and I'm not worried about him. 

Kyle Okposo is a man on a mission - where has this play been the past 5 years? I love what I'm seeing from not only him but that entire line. I really hope KO stays healthy and can maintain the energy through the year.

In both games I've went to they've announced the Gerbrer (Carruba) Collision early in the 2nd period - which rubs me the wrong way? Are they not expecting hitting in the second half the game? Haag has been awarded both of them although the AZ hit of the game was weak.

Anderson looked good but I'm worried about the sustainability of his play deeper into the season. Tokarski is not a 1B goalie and shoddy goaltending is going to sink this team.

I can't wait until Colin Miller is off the team.

Vancouver's defense is atrocious. 

Eakin's mullet is...something.

We've got a big test on Friday vs Boston and I really hope we crush them.

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I doubt he'd like playing for this team.  This is a real team with everyone so far getting equal minutes and putting forth equal effort.  Jack would be annoyed that everything isn't being run through him.

If Jack was on a line that was scoring goals at a higher rate than the other lines it would have more ice time than the other lines. In the style of play that Granato emphasizes that is predicated on speed and north/south play Jack's specific talents would be a terrific fit. There are some legitimate reasons to be critical of Jack but as a player his talents and how it would benefit this team shouldn't blithely be dismissed. Don't kid yourself a healthy Jack on this still developing team would elevate this team and its ranking in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Jack was on a line that was scoring goals at a higher rate than the other lines it would have more ice time than the other lines. In the style of play that Granato emphasizes that is predicated on speed and north/south play Jack's specific talents would be a terrific fit. There are some legitimate reasons to be critical of Jack but as a player his talents and how it would benefit this team shouldn't blithely be dismissed. Don't kid yourself a healthy Jack on this still developing team would elevate this team and its ranking in the league. 

No he wouldn’t.  He is a me first player and a locker room problem.  His presence would ruin the United identity they are trying to foster 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

And he'd represent a piece (first line C) we very well may not have in the system currently, sparing the GM a tough find. 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No he wouldn’t.  He is a me first player and a locker room problem.  His presence would ruin the United identity they are trying to foster 

Jack has never been this on the ice and the meme shouldn't be extended now to cover it, just because 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It was basically never suggested over the past several years our play on ice was too Jack-centric, that he was being selfish out there and forcing the game to be funnelled through him. Come on - that was never a thing. He's a distributor out there, he gets other players the puck, he's not a selfish hockey player on ice at all. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.