Sabres Send Jack Quinn and Brett Murray to Rochester

Brawndo

The Buffalo Sabres announced Saturday that the team has released the following 12 players from their tryout: 

Forwards
Dominic Franco
Mason Jobst
Michael Mersch
Ryan Scarfo
Brendan Warren

Defensemen
Nick Boka
Matthew Cairns
Mitch Eliot
Josh Teves
Peter Tischke

Goaltenders 
Michael Houser
Mat Robson

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ve come to know a family with a career AHL’er, occasional NHL’er.

I try to remain mindful that all of these fringe guys are (1) incredible hockey players (on some level) and (2) chasing a dream.

I try to remember that ECHL players are merely 1,000,000 times the hockey player I am, that AHLers are higher than that, and that NHLers are better than that still.

The John Scott and Rory Fitzpatrick stories remind me that the difference in talent at the high end is negligible compared to them and me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Use to play pickup against a career AHLer in his 60s and even then he was so much better than all of us it was insane...

NHL Oldtimers came to my hometown about thirty years ago. Pierre Pilote was around 60 and not one local could get the puck off of him or prevent a breakout pass. Some of these guys had played junior hockey and were in their 20’s but they looked like boys vs men.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:48 AM, French Collection said:

NHL Oldtimers came to my hometown about thirty years ago. Pierre Pilote was around 60 and not one local could get the puck off of him or prevent a breakout pass. Some of these guys had played junior hockey and were in their 20’s but they looked like boys vs men.

When we lived in Detroit we went to an old-timers game.  I believe Ted Lindsay and Alex Delvecchio were among those who played.  They were in their 60s at the time and seeing them up close (I want to say it was at a small rink in Ann Arbor, but I can't recall exactly), I couldn't believe how fast they moved and how much noise their shots made when they hit the boards. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, That Aud Smell said:

I’ve come to know a family with a career AHL’er, occasional NHL’er.

I try to remain mindful that all of these fringe guys are (1) incredible hockey players (on some level) and (2) chasing a dream.

100%.

Still real people.  Still incredibly talented.  Still working their ***** off and fighting their way in a brutally cut-throat, next-man-is-always-chasing, only results matter career life.  Some dreams were set back today.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The John Scott and Rory Fitzpatrick stories remind me that the difference in talent at the high end is negligible compared to them and me.

John was 100% right in his Player's Tribune article during the All-Star tom*****ery: he was still among the best 700 hockey players in the world and, for that, he deserved to be allowed to attend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

I was reading something earlier around Binghamton's team (FPHL or some odd league), and there was a guy that played a game or two in the NHL that put up like 2-3 points per game and more than a goal a game for a season. We do take things for granted but all the bubble guys are still pretty incredible at their sport.

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Assign More Players to Rochester including UPL

UPL sent down.

.....and there was much rejoicing.  I believe in this kid.  He just isn't ready and I'd rather him backstop a decent to good team in Rochester then get slaughtered in Buffalo.  I believe he can make the jump in his development this season to good AHL starter and then maybe ready late in the year to see some NHL action. 

Good on KA for making the right decision. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Damn i liked weissbach ..

Hopefully JJ is next 

I like Weissbach also and think he is very much in the mold of R2 but more of a playmaker then scorer.  I expect him to have a very good AHL season and get injury callups throughout the year.  Tony Granato said he made a huge jump last year at Wisconsin, lets see if he continues that growth here.

• Like (+1) 5

No surprises here.

I have to believe that there has to be someone around that will push Eakin to #14, or maybe even #15 forward.  I think he will be waived and hopefully some sadder sack of a sad sack team will claim him.  If not, he should go directly to the East Coast Hockey League.  Do not pass GO, or Rochester, on the way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No surprises here.

I have to believe that there has to be someone around that will push Eakin to #14, or maybe even #15 forward.  I think he will be waived and hopefully some sadder sack of a sad sack team will claim him.  If not, he should go directly to the East Coast Hockey League.  Do not pass GO, or Rochester, on the way.

sadder than us?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No surprises here.

Could really see him as the 13th forward who only plays on nights they couldn't get an injury/illness replacement up in time to dress.  No sense wasting ice time in Ra-cha-cha nor Buffalo on him.  Send him down for the day if necessary if IR's not available for some reason for the guy that actually plays.

• Sad 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Could really see him as the 13th forward who only plays on nights they couldn't get an injury/illness replacement up in time to dress.  No sense wasting ice time in Ra-cha-cha nor Buffalo on him.  Send him down for the day if necessary if IR's not available for some reason for the guy that actually plays.

Why do you insist on raining on everyone's get that guy out of town parade ?????

(just kidding, of course)

I hate it, but you are probably right, as usual.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.