Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

33 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

With Power in Buffalo, this looks like an argument to send Bryson and Fitzgerald down.

Fitz has to go help Rochester in the next couple days. Bryson wouldn't clear waivers. Some cap-strapped playoff team would take him for 7/8 depth and have him next year as an RFA. Butcher could be waived outright with purpose to reassign to ROC. I can't imagine many teams would pick him up -- even with NJ retaining salary.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fitz has to go help Rochester in the next couple days. Bryson wouldn't clear waivers. Some cap-strapped playoff team would take him for 7/8 depth and have him next year as an RFA. Butcher could be waived outright with purpose to reassign to ROC. I can't imagine many teams would pick him up -- even with NJ retaining salary.

Butcher would not be playoff eligible iirc though.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

It means the Amerks are boned. Every team they are chasing has games in hand on them. They need to win most of their remaining games to get in. It's actually quite a brawl in the division with teams separated by thousandths of a point. Not sure why (COVID probably) but AHL teams are not all playing the same number of games.

Yes, that is exactly why. They are qualifying based on winning percentage.

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Seth is to coaching in the AHL what Housley was to coaching in the NHL. Team is a comically unstructured undisciplined disorganized mess. How is such abysmal coaching going to lead to development?

First Roc game I watched this season. My take was, individuals playing as individuals, and little discipline especially on the powerplay.

Peterka reminded me of Afinogenov, and not in the good way.

• Like (+1) 1

Unless they have a dramatic finish it looks like the Amerks will miss the playoffs. They only had to finish in the top 5 out of 7 teams. The organization talked about wanting to get their young players playoff experience, but then didn’t send down the eligible young players that could have got them there. Another missed opportunity while the Sabres have plenty of healthy veterans sitting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Unless they have a dramatic finish it looks like the Amerks will miss the playoffs. They only had to finish in the top 5 out of 7 teams. The organization talked about wanting to get their young players playoff experience, but then didn’t send down the eligible young players that could have got them there. Another missed opportunity while the Sabres have plenty of healthy veterans sitting.

It's worth noting 5 AHL teams with lesser points percentages will make the playoffs. Amerks paying the price for being in a tough division.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Most people around here know I put little stock into the notion that winning at the AHL level has anything to do with success at the NHL level. I’m surprised with the continued explosion of analytics that no one has done any comprehensive study showing any correlation between AHL success and NHL success.

33 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Most people around here know I put little stock into the notion that winning at the AHL level has anything to do with success at the NHL level. I’m surprised with the continued explosion of analytics that no one has done any comprehensive study showing any correlation between AHL success and NHL success.

by team or player?  Haven't people done extensive research on NHLe based on age in the AHL and how it translate to scoring in the NHL?

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

by team or player?  Haven't people done extensive research on NHLe based on age in the AHL and how it translate to scoring in the NHL?

I’m talking more of whether winning in the AHL translates into winning in the NHL. 

The numbers you reference project NHL production based on AHL production. No way to know what would happen if they never played in the AHL and were just part of a practice squad of an expanded NHL roster until they were ready to play full time.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m talking more of whether winning in the AHL translates into winning in the NHL. 

The numbers you reference project NHL production based on AHL production. No way to know what would happen if they never played in the AHL and were just part of a practice squad of an expanded NHL roster until they were ready to play full time.

It’s a very hard thing to study as well. Under the assumption that the NHL parent club is a perennial playoff team, with most of their spots locked down by proven vets, their AHL team is likely going to have more talent. Teams like the Sabres have/had been a talent vacuum and Roch has been laid bare.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Maybe to many variables?  For example what type of franchise are they going to in the NHL.  When Ryan Miller, Roy, Vanek and Pommers came up from Rochester after a dominating season in the A, the Sabres were already turning it around and were ready to take a leap forward.  I feel much the same way about the influx of Power, Quinn and JJP.  However this isn't always the case.  Often Calder Cup winning teams in the A are very veteran laden squads.

I went and looked at the leading scorers in the AHL.  Using points, the Sabres have 2 of the only four legit prospects in the top 22 scorers.  They are both the youngest two scorers on the list. Glass (13th) has been called up.  Quinn is 22nd in points but Quinn is second in the A at Pts/GP at 1.40.    JJP in 14th in points.  Not bad for a 19 year old.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I donno. I think winning at any level is important.

Theres alot involved in a long playoff run, in the room, on and off the ice theres plenty to observe and soak in and learn from imo.

I just don't know if this particular Amerks team is capable of it.

The defensive leaders are in Buffalo, frankly, leading the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's worth noting 5 AHL teams with lesser points percentages will make the playoffs. Amerks paying the price for being in a tough division.

The Amerks were in 2nd place earlier in the season. Then they got hurt with callups to the Sabres and injuries. But the Sabres now have 9 healthy defensemen and still won’t send the Amerks any help. No excuse for that.

Edited by pastajoe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

The Amerks were in 2nd place earlier in the season. Then they got hurt with callups to the Sabres and injuries. But the Sabres now have 9 healthy defensemen and still won’t send the Amerks any help. No excuse for that.

This.  So much this.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Samuellson is one of the best 3 defensemen on the team, it would be silly to send him down. I believe the only other defender that could be sent down (was sent down earlier to be eligible) is Fitzgerald, which would make sense to send down, but I guess they want to see a bit more of him for next year.

14 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They can send Bryson, that's about it. 

20 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They made some free agent moves to try and shore up the back end.

They have lost alot of man games to injury this season like you said and lost some games with bad lineups along the way. 

Im not sure that was a good time for anyone to be sent down because they were playing for Buffalo. 

Either way. Rules are rules. Some teams just know how to work around them better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.