Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Neither Anderson nor Tokarski was coming down.  Neither Sanderson nor Fitzgerald was going to score any goals to help them outscore the lowly Monsters.

Krebs might have helped as maybe his springing 2 more breakaways last night might have gotten them 1 decent shot off a breakaway.  But they needed finishers or a goalie.  Neither of those are Krebs.

That’s a simplistic view. I’m talking about over the past two weeks when they lost close games. The defensemen would have solidified the defense as a top pair, both preventing the opposition from scoring, and creating more scoring chances with puck possession. Krebs would have provided a quality forward who could drive his line. The impact would flow throughout the lineup. A missed opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pastajoe said:

That’s a simplistic view. I’m talking about over the past two weeks when they lost close games. The defensemen would have solidified the defense as a top pair, both preventing the opposition from scoring, and creating more scoring chances with puck possession. Krebs would have provided a quality forward who could drive his line. The impact would flow throughout the lineup. A missed opportunity.

No, it wasn't.   Actually find your vantage point of only looking at whether the Amerks have a SLIGHTLY better chance of making the playoffs on paper vs running w/ the team they currently have w/ no guarantee of making the post season even w/ the roster moves you've suggested to be the simplistic view.  But, hey, poe-tay-toe, pah-tah-toe. 😉

Demoting a player getting a regular shift on an NHL team's top pairing could do nothing good for that player.  (Not saying it would ruin him or anything like that, but why send him down when he's literally the 2nd last of the D on your team deserving of that?)

Well, how about Krebs.  He's playing very well in a variety of different roles from 2LW through 4C.  IMHO, you gain more from seeing what he can do in these myriad different roles than you do having him setting up guys that have been having issues finishing lately.  (Only speaking of the Amerks games this kid actually saw, either in person or on TV.)

Which leaves Fitzgerald.  A more plausible case could be made to demote him, but if you then later wanted to bring him back up, you've now wasted your last non-emergency callup.  And you still have to explain to him why he's getting sent down even though he's been OK playing regularly in limited minutes in the NHL.

Should Adams have sent any, or all of them down, he only gets to bring ONE of them back up.  Which 2 are you pulling for 2 weeks from a lineup  that has won 5 of its last 6 games?

And none of that even begins to consider the fact that the Amerks have not been getting good goaltending down the stretch and sending those 3 down wouldn't guarantee wins either.  Any potential repercussions to that?  Any to having the Sabres end on a losing skid rather than going out very likely having won 6 or 7 of their final 8 after missing the playoffs for the 11th straight year?  How many fewer fans show up these last few Sabres home games knowing there was no Samuelsson nor Krebs in the lineup?

It all goes against everything they preach about doing things the right way and earning your ice time.  It also tells the guys currently in Ra-cha-cha that they flat out aren't good enough to beat a last place team w/ out help.  (Turns out they aren't, so why are we sweating them not getting an opportunity for a play-in against the best team in  their conference? 😉 )

And they still aren't out of it yet.  It seems Toronto doesn't want to make the playoffs either.

Pretty sure we won't see eye to eye on this.  Have a good evening.

🍺

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

If Taylor is somewhere watching this laughing his ass off I wouldn't blame him one bit. The organization were complete snakes for doing what they did to him and the bad karma just fell on them like a ton of bricks.

Tails was a good coach and would’ve been valuable right now. 

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

All those good prospects and we can't even make the playoffs?  That is a bummer.  Should of kept Taylor. 

Yes. Should’ve kept him. Bad move by Pegs. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, inkman said:

It was Krueger.  No more no less 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

If someone has more knowledge about the Taylor firing I would appreciate the added information. I think it was WGR's Paul Hamilton who stated that it was Krueger who got Taylor fired because the AHL coach made it clear to him that what he was espousing would not work in today's NHL. Supposedly, Krueger didn't want anyone in the ranks who didn't adhere to what he was promoting. The irony is that when he was fired and DG replaced him the new coach immediately took an approach that undid a lot of what the antiquated coach tried to install.  

11 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I have a couple of other sources who said Krueger made the call.

YMMV.

11 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Krueger got Taylor fired. He talked about open communication and then didn’t talk to Taylor for the entire season. Taylor wouldn’t kiss the ring and admit Krueger was a genius and all his strategies would work in the NHL.

We saw how that turned out. The stink of Krueger still permeating in parts of the organization.

27 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Who's decision was it to replace Taylor? And what was the given reason? Happened around the time of the great purge, didn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know if Appert is a good coach or not.  I do know the Taylor was a good coach and RK had it in for him, probably because Taylor wasn’t a yes man and RK knew if he failed Taylor was an easy replacement.  What he didn’t realize is that a better replacement in DG was already on his staff.  

What I do know is that once Samuelsson and Fitz graduated the NHL and all the goaltending issues ensued, Appert and the Amerks were behind the 8 ball.  Quinn’s injury also didn’t help.

What Appert needed was defensive reinforcements to help the goaltenders and really didn’t receive any.  Oh well.

• Like (+1) 2

Toronto & Laval tied 1/2 way through the 2nd 3-3.

TO has 3 games left including tonight.  Amerks 1 left.  Amerks need 5 of those 8 points to go their way.  Marlies need 4.  If Laval can pull it out in regulation,TO still controls their destiny, but their margin of error falls precipitously and the Amerks game could be very important.

Update.  3 minutes left in the 2nd.  TO now up 4-3.  Grrrrrrr.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:08 PM, Taro T said:

No, it wasn't.   Actually find your vantage point of only looking at whether the Amerks have a SLIGHTLY better chance of making the playoffs on paper vs running w/ the team they currently have w/ no guarantee of making the post season even w/ the roster moves you've suggested to be the simplistic view.  But, hey, poe-tay-toe, pah-tah-toe. 😉

Demoting a player getting a regular shift on an NHL team's top pairing could do nothing good for that player.  (Not saying it would ruin him or anything like that, but why send him down when he's literally the 2nd last of the D on your team deserving of that?)

Well, how about Krebs.  He's playing very well in a variety of different roles from 2LW through 4C.  IMHO, you gain more from seeing what he can do in these myriad different roles than you do having him setting up guys that have been having issues finishing lately.  (Only speaking of the Amerks games this kid actually saw, either in person or on TV.)

Which leaves Fitzgerald.  A more plausible case could be made to demote him, but if you then later wanted to bring him back up, you've now wasted your last non-emergency callup.  And you still have to explain to him why he's getting sent down even though he's been OK playing regularly in limited minutes in the NHL.

Should Adams have sent any, or all of them down, he only gets to bring ONE of them back up.  Which 2 are you pulling for 2 weeks from a lineup  that has won 5 of its last 6 games?

And none of that even begins to consider the fact that the Amerks have not been getting good goaltending down the stretch and sending those 3 down wouldn't guarantee wins either.  Any potential repercussions to that?  Any to having the Sabres end on a losing skid rather than going out very likely having won 6 or 7 of their final 8 after missing the playoffs for the 11th straight year?  How many fewer fans show up these last few Sabres home games knowing there was no Samuelsson nor Krebs in the lineup?

It all goes against everything they preach about doing things the right way and earning your ice time.  It also tells the guys currently in Ra-cha-cha that they flat out aren't good enough to beat a last place team w/ out help.  (Turns out they aren't, so why are we sweating them not getting an opportunity for a play-in against the best team in  their conference? 😉 )

And they still aren't out of it yet.  It seems Toronto doesn't want to make the playoffs either.

Pretty sure we won't see eye to eye on this.  Have a good evening.

🍺

If Krebs or Samuelsson weren't playing regular shifts with the Sabres, I could understand the rational for playing them in Rochester. However, as you point out that wasn't the case with these two young players. Krebs got regular shifts at wing and center and Samuelsson demonstrated that he was capable of playing as a first and second pair defenseman . Not only did these two players gain valuable experience to better prepare themselves for next season but it also gave the coaching staff a better understanding of what they were capable as NHL players, as you pointed out. And as you noted both of these players were playing meaningful roles while the team was winning and flourishing. The bottom line is both of these players will get better because of the manner in which they were handled. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  But at least they're only MOSTLY dead.

1 more Marlie win or a regulation loss by the Amerks & they're officially toast.  Anybody have Miracle Max' phone #?

Somehow I don't envision the Vegas Knight's fanbase creating a long message thread about whether the Sabres' farm team gets into the playoffs or not and start rooting for the Marlies. 😉

Confession, I've never watched the the Knights and most recently Dallas as much as I have these last 2 weeks.

49 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If i'm understanding what's stated up thread, for Rochester to get into the playoffs they need to win their last game on Friday, 29th and Toronto has to lose their remaining games?

Nope.  But it is nearly that dire.  Ra-cha-cha needs to get at least a point in their game vs Utica & the Marlies would need to lose both remaining games in regulation if the Amerks lose in OT/ a shootout.

If the Amerks win, then TO can get a single point and the Amerks will get in.

An Amerks regulation loss or a Marlies win & Ra-cha-cha is toast.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Nope.  But it is nearly that dire.  Ra-cha-cha needs to get at least a point in their game vs Utica & the Marlies would need to lose both remaining games in regulation if the Amerks lose in OT/ a shootout.

If the Amerks win, then TO can get a single point and the Amerks will get in.

An Amerks regulation loss or a Marlies win & Ra-cha-cha is toast.

I've seen worse odds. I'm surprised Fitzgerald hasn't been sent down to help out Rochester. Maybe I'm only remembering his gaffes and not his better plays but I recall him having some BAD shifts the past few games. I don't understand why we're scratching Miller/Pysysk each night when Fitzgerald could have been down in Rochester helping them in any way possible. Rochester making the playoffs seems like it'd do a lot more for the development for many of our younger players by getting Krebs, Quinn, JJ, Samuelson, etc all playoff experience.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.