Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

The Amerks were in 2nd place earlier in the season. Then they got hurt with callups to the Sabres and injuries. But the Sabres now have 9 healthy defensemen and still won’t send the Amerks any help. No excuse for that.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This.  So much this.

The young guys are playing in Buffalo, that’s the excuse,

Samuelsson, Power, and Fitzgerald are the only three waiver exempt defensemen in Buffalo.  Samuelsson and Power would never be sent down for obvious reasons.  With Fitzgerald, I could see argument for a complaint, although he has been playing with the Sabres, but that’s it.

There are no waiver exempt players who have been riding the pine in Buffalo as opposed to helping Rochester.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Curt said:

The young guys are playing in Buffalo, that’s the excuse,

Samuelsson, Power, and Fitzgerald are the only three waiver exempt defensemen in Buffalo.  Samuelsson and Power would never be sent down for obvious reasons.  With Fitzgerald, I could see argument for a complaint, although he has been playing with the Sabres, but that’s it.

There are no waiver exempt players who have been riding the pine in Buffalo as opposed to helping Rochester.

I thought Bryson was exempt but Fitz wasn't? 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They should send Fitz down and Muel and Krebs. 

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think they want to keep going with Mule and Dahlin expirement a bit more.

Yeah, they are playing Samuelsson 25 mins a game on their NHL #1 pair and he is excelling.  I think his AHL days are done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, they are playing Samuelsson 25 mins a game on their NHL #1 pair and he is excelling.  I think his AHL days are done.

The issue isn’t that he’s bad, the issue is that he, Fitzgerald, and Krebs could help the Amerks make the playoffs. The Sabres aren’t going anywhere. They could extend their and other prospects season by weeks in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pastajoe said:

The issue isn’t that he’s bad, the issue is that he, Fitzgerald, and Krebs could help the Amerks make the playoffs. The Sabres aren’t going anywhere. They could extend their and other prospects season by weeks in the AHL.

Yeah, but it would also alienate players because you are forcing someone who has proven he is a good NHLer to play in the AHL, costing him not just NHL experience, but hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You don’t think that might make players upset?  Why not force Power to go to the AHL as well?

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, but it would also alienate players because you are forcing someone who has proven he is a good NHLer to play in the AHL, costing him not just NHL experience, but hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You don’t think that might make players upset?  Why not force Power to go to the AHL as well?

You would cost them maybe 50k bucks if you sent them down for the Americans final 3 games. 

You don't send Power down because he has the least nhl experience out of the players we're talking about and he can't be on their playoff team anyways. 

I don't think Samuelsson or Krebs or Fitz is going to take it personally especially when you simply explain, "hey Rochester needs help to make the playoffs and we want you in those ahl playoffs so here's the deal..."

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You would cost them maybe 50k bucks if you sent them down for the Americans final 3 games. 

You don't send Power down because he has the least nhl experience out of the players we're talking about and he can't be on their playoff team anyways. 

I don't think Samuelsson or Krebs or Fitz is going to take it personally especially when you simply explain, "hey Rochester needs help to make the playoffs and we want you in those ahl playoffs so here's the deal..."

Also these kids seem team players, they won't mind a playoff run at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

For Fitzgerald or Krebs, I could see the argument for it.

For Samuelsson, I think it’s completely out of the question because of the huge role that he is playing on the Sabres.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

They go with the understanding that they’re going to help the team, it’s not a punishment. They know they were designated to be allowed to go back. And they are not losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in two weeks. Power wasn’t signed when they had to make the designation of who could go back down.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They should send Fitz down and Muel and Krebs. 

Can see the merit to sending Fitzgerald down.  

But Krebs is playing well in various 2-4 line C & W roles and IMHO the Sabres gain more from seeing him perform in those roles minus the muscle he'll put on over the summer than they would sending him down to try to help the Amerks score more goals than they give up w/ a middling AHLer between the pipes behind him.

And Samuelsson is playing well on an NHL top D pairing.  He's not going back as long as the Sabres are playing.  Heck, he might not even go back for the playoff run, should Ra-cha-cha make it, as he might get more out of the same atmosphere but higher competition in the WCs.

(Besides, should the Amerks sneak in, pretty certain a sure sign of spring arriving in the former Flour City is the annual 1st round trouncing of the Amerks by the Marlies.  Muel being down for that series, should it happen, might mess with that milestone.  And then summer might never arrive.  😉 )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

They go with the understanding that they’re going to help the team, it’s not a punishment. They know they were designated to be allowed to go back. And they are not losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in two weeks. Power wasn’t signed when they had to make the designation of who could go back down.

No matter how much they're told by the staff it isn't a punishment nor how much we want to see the Amerks in the playoffs; there's no way a 21-ish kid getting his 1st chance of living his dream doesn't see it as a demotion nor a huge letdown.  

Management preaches doing thigs the right way and having players earn what they get.  How does sending them down when they haven't earned that demotion jibe with that philosophy?

Plus, aren't the 4 post-trade deadline pre-elimination roster moves a total # of non-emergency moves BOTH ways?  (It used to be.  Thought it still was.)  They've only got 1 free move left.  Might want to save it for Quinn or UPL.

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No matter how much they're told by the staff it isn't a punishment nor how much we want to see the Amerks in the playoffs; there's no way a 21-ish kid getting his 1st chance of living his dream doesn't see it as a demotion nor a huge letdown.  

Management preaches doing thigs the right way and having players earn what they get.  How does sending them down when they haven't earned that demotion jibe with that philosophy?

Plus, aren't the 4 post-trade deadline pre-elimination roster moves a total # of non-emergency moves BOTH ways?  (It used to be.  Thought it still was.)  They've only got 1 free move left.  Might want to save it for Quinn or UPL.

What @Taro T said.  I’m sure that the players would understand perfectly why they were being sent down, and still not be pleased about it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I think Samuelsson, Krebs, and 24yr old Fitz are probably mature to understand missing the last 3 Sabres games

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

What @Taro T said.  I’m sure that the players would understand perfectly why they were being sent down, and still not be pleased about it.

We spent too long in the Kane, Eichel, ROR temper tantrum era

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Samuelsson, Krebs, and 24yr old Fitz are probably mature to understand missing the last 3 Sabres games

Like I said, I’m sure they would understand perfectly, and still would not like it.

We spent too long in the xGMTM ZFG, players are just assets era.

It pays to treat people well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Like I said, I’m sure they would understand perfectly, and still would not like it.

We spent too long in the xGMTM ZFG, players are just assets era.

It pays to treat people well.

We're coming at this from different angles then. I don't think any of this in bold in true or how they would feel. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They WOULD understand.  But that wouldn't make the demotion fit with the professed philosophy of earning your results nor would it be looked upon favorably by the individual players.  Management has worked so hard to make this a place where character matters.  Why would they risk conveying the message that it only matters when it is expedient?  That is the antithesis of character.

Yes, Peyton, you're better than Bjork, but the kids need you, so Bjork gets the promotion from the press box & you get to go hop on a bus.  <_<

It also doesn't mesh w/ them only having 1 move left.

And lastly, what does it say to those other prideful professionals that didn't get put on the Sabres but are tasked with getting the Amerks ahead of one other team?  Nope, not good enough.   Jankowski, you & the rest are trash.  MAYBE the actual hockey players can save your sorry butts.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We're coming at this from different angles then. I don't think any of this in bold in true or how they would feel. 

Wait, did you actually mean to say you don't believe "it pays to treat people well" is true?  Pretty sure you didn't, but just want confirmation that was a misstatement.  (Presuming, of course, that it is.)

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.