Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I doubt Power goes to Rochester, but who knows.

I doubt it too but I think it’s a mistake.  I’d love to see him play half a year in Rochester next season. If he is clearly ready for pro hockey - bring him up

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Bring them up after the trade deadline, maybe.  I’d also like to see them take a run at the Calder Cup.  I think they could challenge.  

Isn’t there a date they have to be on the Rochester roster to be playoff eligible? Obviously they all have to be there for that. Including Murray 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I doubt it too but I think it’s a mistake.  I’d love to see him play half a year in Rochester next season. If he is clearly ready for pro hockey - bring him up

Isn’t there a date they have to be on the Rochester roster to be playoff eligible? Obviously they all have to be there for that. Including Murray 

When was the last time a first overall pick went to the AHL following college/juniors?  

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don't see any way where Power won't be on the Sabre roster at the start of next year. Will he be a first or second-line defender? How he plays in camp will determine that. He played in a World Tournament with pros. He quickly worked his way up to a top tier role, even outshining some of the vets. The more he played the more responsibility he was entrusted with by the coach.  Unless he struggles in camp (which I doubt) I see him on the big club roster. 

Obviously, best case scenario for a Sabre fan is that UPL is up for good and provides Buffalo with solid goaltending for the rest of the year.

Because I don’t believe he (or the Sabres) are advanced enough for that to happen, I hope Subban is back today and UPL gets sent down.

Success in 2 NHL games is exactly what he needs to boost his confidence for a good run on a good team in Rochester, which could set up him up in a place where the next time he gets called up, he gets called up for good.

Being asked to carry the Sabres now is not going to be good for him mentally.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Non-COVID illness 

I don't always agree with your takes. But I want you to know that those of you such as @inkman @dudacek, @Brawndo, @Norcal and others who follow the Amerks and report on them are providing us with terrific information on the prospects. Especially when this season is more about the future than the present your contributions are much appreciated. I salute you guys and if applicable gals. 🍺

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 5

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the AHL package was a good choice this year. Getting to watch the kids develop has been fun.

They have put together just the type of AHL team you should want. Enough good vets that the team will be competitive with some high end kids that can develop and learn from the vets and also carry the mail when need be. I scratch my head at Appert’s system sometimes but they are a fun group to cheer for.

Peterka seems at his best when he is using his electric wheels to blow by defenders and use his rocket shot. Where he struggles right now is when the puck is on his stick and he has to slow down and make decisions with it. That will come more with experience and the AHL is the right level to work on that.

To me Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Samuelsson and UPL are future key pieces at the NHL level.

Murray, Laaksonen and Fitzgerald are guys that will play in the NHL but their impact might not be as great(bottom 6 or 3rd pair   guys)

Pekar might make a 4th line down the line. Can’t get a real handle on Biro yet. He is small but talented. Might be a good AHLer, might get a look.

Behind the bench I don’t know what to think of Appertains. Have high hopes for Peca making his way up to Buffalo eventually in a coaching role. Weber too.

Nice to see Murray and UPL already developing, moving up and having an impact in Buffalo. Shows the system is working.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

Michael Mersch is just plugging away leading the AHL in goals with 14. 

There hasn't been a single word uttered about him getting a game in Buffalo. Nor should there be. 

The value is in his daily preparation and where he has scored those goals. The avg distance is about 2.5 feet, only because he's flung a couple long ones in by surprise.

The prospects see him working hard every night and scoring all those goals on in or near the blue paint.

I'm sure they know he has no NHL future at this point but yet he works hard every day.

The AHL will always have those guys and you need a good mix of them to give the kids some insulation. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Michael Mersch is just plugging away leading the AHL in goals with 14. 

There hasn't been a single word uttered about him getting a game in Buffalo. Nor should there be. 

The value is in his daily preparation and where he has scored those goals. The avg distance is about 2.5 feet, only because he's flung a couple long ones in by surprise.

The prospects see him working hard every night and scoring all those goals on in or near the blue paint.

I'm sure they know he has no NHL future at this point but yet he works hard every day.

The AHL will always have those guys and you need a good mix of them to give the kids some insulation. 

You can make a decent living in the AHL. How many people can say they had a career as a pro player?  Hopefully it leads to a coaching or management gig in the future. 

FYI, I bought tickets for the game in Springfield on Jan 1. I'm sitting right on the glass behind the net where the Amerks will shoot twice.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can make a decent living in the AHL. How many people can say they had a career as a pro player?  Hopefully it leads to a coaching or management gig in the future. 

FYI, I bought tickets for the game in Springfield on Jan 1. I'm sitting right on the glass behind the net where the Amerks will shoot twice.

They say he is a great example for the kids on and off the ice.

He's carved out a good little career for sure but I do think his future is in coaching. 

Hopefully they play and are at full strength when you see them.

I'd love to see JJ play live I'm betting he's worth the price of admission. 

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to mention it's a virtual guarantee that some police force or fire department will move you to the front of the line of applicants at the end of your career if that's your thing. 

If you've made sure to get your education, there's a lot of good sales jobs to be had... Or if that's not your thing, there's the skilled trades 

• spndnchz pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.