2021 Free Agent Frenzy! July 28

steveoath

Stars may contend for the playoffs/cup but if Suter signs there for four years I'd have to wonder why? Is he after money or cups?

Or, does it just come down to being paid to play the game he loves at the highest level for as long as he can?

• spndnchz changed the title to 2021 Free Agent Frenzy! July 28
  • spndnchz pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Now do understand Wild? I do believe NRD has at least a few sources.

Wild make fire, Wild smack rock 😉

I mean, that's the only thing he *might* have. And I'm still not sure he was the first to have it.

He also posted this, only one I've seen so far:

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We do like Russians

Well seems he has been injured a lot, even played hurt last year.   So I guess he has an excuse for not developing into an NHL player.

But seems we are the perfect fit for a player like that to get a chance.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Damn I was hoping for Stastny

I don't think they are choosing to go that route. They've made it clear they fall on the side of not wanting to put vets in the kids way, rather than the side of the fence that suggests the kids need proper vet insulation. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don't think they are choosing to go that route. They've made it clear they fall on the side of not wanting to put vets in the kids way, rather than the side of the fence that suggests the kids need proper vet insulation. 

They are going to acquire at least a 3C.

Not going into next season with a spine of Mitts Cozens Eakin

It's Evgeny, not Andrei.

After playing only 24 NHL games before this season, Evgeny played heavily sheltered minutes in DET where he went 3G-5A-8P in 21GP.  His ACL injury in 2018 basically killed his development.  His stats indicate he's not a very good on the defensive side of the puck (his HDCA/60 and HDCF% are real bad), which would likely need to be his usage on the Sabre bottom-six.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They are going to acquire at least a 3C.

Not going into next season with a spine of Mitts Cozens Eakin

Maybe. Maybe it'll be a guy like the guy they got last year for that role: Cody Eakin 

(yes, I know, Krueger was GM at the time and now KA has learned better)

Regardless, Stastny would have been our 1C. I was speaking of "in the way" players, as KA defines it. 

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

We do?  I've read on here that the Sabres don't like Russians because Terry Pegula doesn't like Russians and he's really running the team no matter who the GM is.

They did draft a couple of Russians which is interesting. Either way I seriously hope we are not actually considering going after one or more of these over-priced FA's. Of course that would be typical of this team to let a guy who has performed very well for us since we tanked and drafted him 2nd overall leave for basically nothing (a pick that will be in the 20's and a goalie who may or may not become a NHL goalie) and not try to sign him long term but then overpay for some FA who will come here and be a bust (as most of the FA's usually are). At this point we might as well go all in and tank again next year. Apparently the Pegulas need the money now as they have over paid for a bunch of lousy ex-coaches & ex-GM's (and there are lots)... makes me sick to think we tanked to get Jack and Sam and we are now giving them away and acting like they are the problem. Why is it always the players who are the problem? Briere...Drury,,,ROR...Lehner...Sam...Jack...guess they are all not good NHLer's...

Edited by sabrefanday1

16 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Apparently the Pegulas need the money now as they have over paid for a bunch of lousy ex-coaches & ex-GM's (and there are lots)... makes me sick to think we tanked to get Jack and Sam and we are now giving them away and acting like they are the problem. Why is it always the players who are the problem? Briere...Drury,,,ROR...Lehner...Sam...Jack...guess they are all not good NHLer's...

1.  They don't need money and no one credible has suggested that they won't spend on players.  $8M for Taylor Hall was less than a year ago, for crying out loud.

2.  They players weren't the problem when it came to Briere and Drury.  That was an ownership--in fact, a minority ownership--problem.  We don't have that problem now.

3.  O'Reilly and Lehner situations were products of *management's* failure to recognize issues and deal with them properly.  Again, the players were not the problem.  In O'Reilly's case, the simple solution was to give him a C and tell Jack to sit down and listen.  In Lehner's case, the simple solution was to let him get the help he needed and have him return the following year.

4.  Reinhart and Eichel are justifiably frustrated, and the decisions criticized in point 3 above are probably parts of that.  But so is Eichel's inability and/or unwillingness to lead--I just don't think that's his bag, just like it wasn't Perreault's.  And so is the revolving door for coaches.  Enough is enough.  

I would say that if there is one "player who is the problem," it is Eichel, and not because he didn't play well, but because he shouldn't be a captain of a hockey team.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

We need RW bodies.  Would prefer avoiding another 1-year older journeyman strategy and get younger talent that has a chance to stick around.  This one could be interesting.

Can be play either wing.

Another player of interest here. Pius Suter had 14-13-27 in 55 games as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.