Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

No doubt and a handful of other guys Scandella, Skinner I didn't think needed mentioning I was just referencing the ones we are trading.   

Collectively just wasn't right and they did themselves no favors.  

I really wish Skinner was still 2018 good. We'd be talking about him being a lingering vet presence and pondering whether he had the ability to carry and insulate a youth line for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

The problem is and still remains is the Pegula’s need to hire experienced hockey people to fix the organization. He got lucky with the football team but even Terry and Kim still haven’t learned. It’s not like they aren’t willing to spend money on players but you have inexperienced GM’s making really bad hockey decisions and bad contracts!

A few things.

1. I have said before that Terry always looks for up-and-comers.  He does not like to hire previously experienced people unless he knows they got hosed.  He seems to view them as retreads.  He will not hire experienced hockey people to be at the top of organisation.

2. His success with Beane and McDermott probably encourages him to do the same with the Sabres.

3. His hires for the Sabres included input from top hockey people around the league.  XGMTM and XGMJB  were the among the most highly-regarded guys to take the next step.  This time, he hired GMKA like he did with the Bills -- with his criteria.

5 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

KA didn't create this problem...but I don't see him fixing it.  Sending players out the door is easy compared to the scouting, player development, and coaching required to build a roster and system.  

But if you look at it from KA's perspective Sam and Risto were leaving anyways.  Jack is still here and until I see what evolves from that I just can't blame GMKA for all that has happened in the last couple of days.  You are right about whether he can fix the problem but do you really think firing him and bringing in another GM and ultimately another HC is prudent right now?  He was just hired.

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

A few things.

1. I have said before that Terry always looks for up-and-comers.  He does not like to hire previously experienced people unless he knows they got hosed.  He seems to view them as retreads.  He will not hire experienced hockey people to be at the top of organisation.

2. His success with Beane and McDermott probably encourages him to do the same with the Sabres.

3. His hires for the Sabres included input from top hockey people around the league.  XGMTM and XGMJB  were the among the most highly-regarded guys to take the next step.  This time, he hired GMKA like he did with the Bills -- with his criteria.

Interesting perspective.  Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this trade return a hint of how much the braintrust didn't want Reinhart around for any of the rebuild?

Reinhart was vocal not wanting to be part of a rebuild. I think our brain trust over valued Levi and why accepted this trade. Personally I hate getting no NHL talent back.

2 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

But if you look at it from KA's perspective Sam and Risto were leaving anyways.  Jack is still here and until I see what evolves from that I just can't blame GMKA for all that has happened in the last couple of days.  You are right about whether he can fix the problem but do you really think firing him and bringing in another GM and ultimately another HC is prudent right now?  He was just hired.

It'll take 2-3 years to know whether stripping down the roster of supposed malcontents was effective.  I'm not advocating firing him, but he's been on the job a year.  

My issue is the Pegula's don't learn from their mistakes.  I think much of Adams' moves last year were driven by Krueger, who held power in the organization until being rightfully canned.  I don't know why the Pegula's allowed him so much control, but I'm guessing he wowed them in interviews a la Rex Ryan.

Maybe Adams succeeds and their picks produce.  I don't know because it's too early to tell.  I just don't trust the Pegula's to finally get a GM hire right AND get out of the way to let that person make decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This trade depends on whether the goalie turns out or not. The 1st will probably be a 15th-20th or so.

The excellent return on Risto buffers the return on Rhino quite a bit. You can't judge a GM by one move. 

Any word on McCabe?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Fact is confirmed- Reinhart wasn’t going to re sign under any circumstance. We got a good rental price for him.  Good his flawed me first attitude is out of the room that ***** is contagious 

The one thing I’ll always remember about Samson, is that time he didn’t skate back hard after a long shift, and he wasn’t thrilled to be grilled about it in the post-game.

• Like (+1) 1

McCabe and Ullmark are testing FA

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

The one thing I’ll always remember about Samson, is that time he didn’t skate back hard after a long shift, and he wasn’t thrilled to be grilled about it in the post-game.

He was benched for a game for being 5 minutes late. Everyone blamed the coaches

Looks like it was him being the diva all along 

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

McCabe and Ullmark are testing FA

He was benched for a game for being 5 minutes late. Everyone blamed the coaches

Looks like it was him being the diva all along 

I wish my job would bench me for a day for being 5 minutes late. I need a break. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this trade return a hint of how much the braintrust didn't want Reinhart around for any of the rebuild?

Says more about the braintrust than the player, and that doesn't bode well for the team.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

This boils down to: this had to be the absolute floor of what you get for Reinhart and you took it months before you needed to. Worse players get flipped for more at the deadline. Woof. Kevyn Adams is a kids hockey coach turned into a GM with no experience. This is the price you pay for being cheap in your hiring process.

So you think this happened in a vacuum? That Adams did not bring this to the other hockey people in the organization to gather their thoughts? He just sat in a room and decided this on his own?

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

How is that "fibbed" I never been  Accused of anything ? 

Oh wait  I remember my baby sister accused me of stealing her bubblegum

Well, there ya go. You were accused of it. Doesn’t mean you did it. Just because someone makes an accusation, or writes something on the internet, doesn’t automatically make it true. 

You know why he was probably accused of it? Money. You were accused of stealing gum and you weren’t rich. Kane was posting pictures of money stacks. He made himself a target, doesn’t make him a criminal.

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

A few things.

There is no world where Kevyn Adams fits the criteria applied to hire Brandon Beane. Brandon Beane had put his work in the league. Nearly 20 years worth of it.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't go to Sam having bad character as my first guess. 

Most likely he was open to a long term deal while he was negotiating with Adams one year ago, in good faith. The idea that he said "no", now, also seems likely. 

If he was willing to sign a year ago but not this summer, he shouldn’t have claimed that he was willing to sign long-term without clarifying that very important distinction.  

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If he was willing to sign a year ago but not this summer, he shouldn’t have claimed that he was willing to sign long-term without clarifying that very important distinction.  

This is true, we all knew and speculated he was gone after that one year deal.   And I think Adams was in charge when signed.

Seriously the 11th forward in scoring, getting better every year, we schooled and drafted him and we get this in return?

I'm not someone to go hyperbole on much, I love this team with all my heart and I will keep going so.  This isn't about this trade deadline, this is just bad ownership/management.

But I'm willing to bet on this, in 10 years Samson will  have scored more points, played more games and lifted a cup before Eichel ever will.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is true, we all knew and speculated he was gone after that one year deal.   And I think Adams was in charge when signed.

Seriously the 11th forward in scoring, getting better every year, we schooled and drafted him and we get this in return?

I'm not someone to go hyperbole on much, I love this team with all my heart and I will keep going so.  This isn't about this trade deadline, this is just bad ownership/management.

But I'm willing to bet on this, in 10 years Samson will  have scored more points, played more games and lifted a cup before Eichel ever will.

I’m willing to bet Samson never sees a Cup, and Eichel MIGHT in the twilight of his career. 

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The organization had an opportunity to sign him to a longer term deal a couple of years ago, if not earlier. There were at least two contract negotiations where he was only offered short term deals. So this year he took advantage of his contract status and used it as leverage to get out. The organization miscalculated and ended up losing one of their primary players for less than full value. The onus is on the organization for how the situation developed. 

The main factor for players wanting out is not about money as it is about the persistent losing. It can be demoralizing for players who have been subjected to it for extended periods of time. I don't blame any player who wanted to find greener pastures. The lesson to be learned is that systemic organizational failure has consequences. 

I'm not a pessimist about the future. But no one can deny that the recent past has been a disaster. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.