Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What core?  Ullmark can babysit Cozens and Mittelstadt and Dahlin while we wait for them to become the core.

You just named them.  Dahlin, Cozens, and Mitts.  

Ullmark?  Is is signed yet? 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Can we ban the topic of Reinhart once the news has finished disseminating 

If only. We have too many amateur scouts who are too in love with their player evaluation "skills." They'll always find a way to twist things. Reinhart didn't get much — they were right about him, but Adams got screwed. Risto got too much — they were still right about him, but Adams bent over the Philly GM. The opinions of the professionals, the crowd sourcing of people who've worked in hockey their whole lives mean nothing to them.

They're not going anywhere. Practice the eye rolls, grin and bear it.

32 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So … IF FLA has Reinhart for one season… and Reinhart goes to UFA because he refuses to sign with FLA, then FLA gave up a decent goalie prospect and a 1st round draft pick for one season of Reinhart. That’s a big gamble for FLA.

Now, granted FLA could try flipping Reinhart for assets to mitigate the cost.  Key word … could. They may not. 

Nice rationalization. 

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My question is whether he was prepared to sign long term this summer?  Or did he mean instead of the last couple of bridge deals?

I agree -- if he signs in the next few weeks with Florida, the return we got looks much worse.

Did he say that?

well, he did say he was open to a long term deal and the size of previous deals were too short.  Seems like a pretty good chance he would be here long term if we offered him a deal.

A few thoughts... 

- This was the best offer for Sam?  

- What the heck were some of the other offers?

- I hope this goalie is a legit NHL prospect, and not another Danny O’Regan, etc...

- Adams got a better return for Risto than Reinhart?

- Bottom line, the core was rotten and needed to be rebuilt. 

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If only. We have too many amateur scouts who are too in love with their player evaluation "skills." They'll always find a way to twist things. Reinhart didn't get much — they were right about him, but Adams got screwed. Risto got too much — they were still right about him, but Adams bent over the Philly GM. The opinions of the professionals, the crowd sourcing of people who've worked in hockey their whole lives mean nothing to them.

They're not going anywhere. Practice the eye rolls, grin and bear it.

It takes neither skill nor twisting to pull up Reinhart's hockey DB page. 

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Obv. the Sabres weren't. What is it about these guys that a new regime wants them gone? I bet Kim knows. Seriously, she knows.

Agree.

I'm fine with the whole line of thinking, agreeing with Adams' decision, speculating they needed to go - all of it. I mostly just don't want it to be framed in such a way that it's "Greedy and bad apple Reinhart and Eichel demand out because they don't have the gumption to stick it out, and poor Adams has no choice but to get the best he can in trades"

Adams wants to move these players. He's the impetus. If we all agree the results are on him and his regime, for better or worse, that's ya. that's a thing for me, don't know how to end this sentence so just gonna hit post now 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Agree.

I'm fine with the whole line of thinking, agreeing with Adams' decision, speculating they needed to go - all of it. I mostly just don't want it to be framed in such a way that it's "Greedy and bad apple Reinhart and Eichel demand out because they don't have the gumption to stick it out, and poor Adams has no choice but to get the best he can in trades"

Adams wants to move these players. He's the impetus. If we all agree the results are on him and his regime, for better or worse, that's ya. that's a thing for me, don't know how to end this sentence so just gonna hit post now 

...buyer.

Here's where I am right now, after digesting this for a bit:

My problem isn't with the prospect.  It's pretty obvious that he's going to be a huge hit or a huge miss, and I like it.

My problem is only somewhat with the pick, because I don't like the lottery protection.  (The Sabres have been burned before, and waiting two years for a major part of the consideration is too long.)

My problem, really, is that it's a prospect and a pick.  A player and a pick?  I would have been fine.  A player and a prospect?  Also fine.  But this is just too little, even if Reinhart is just a rental for Florida.  

If this was the best he could do to date, Adams should have hung on.  This deal would have been available tomorrow or next month.  If Reinhart is telling the truth, Adams could have negotiated an extension with him; if Reinhart is not, Adams could have just accepted whatever an arbitrator set, or dealt with an offer sheet.

But he blinked--AGAIN.  He didn't learn his lesson from the Hall trade, I guess.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's the thing. That's not how professionals evaluate talent.

I'm fine with this, too. If you think his defenders inept I take no offence to that. It's your use of the word "twist" and "always" that triggered the response. You know the connotation there. No one has to trick anyone to point out Reinhart's considerable positives - the commonly accepted metrics, nothing fancy, paint a pretty clear picture of health and first line production. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Agree.

I call him the GM Sheevyn for a reason. For me, it's just an idiom. But he was hired in place of JBot to go Great Jedi Purge the personnel department on behest of leadership (including RaKru). Now, he's gotten rid of the Count RaKru and is continuing the Purge of the Jedi players of the Old Republic. It's his new Empire. Will it succeed? Maybe, maybe not.

The key now is to let him run with it for more time than any GM has had previously to work under the Pegulas. Because if they change him out in under 3 years, the next GM will do a reset for his/her style of players and coaches and philosophies. Sheevyn will have that shield down team win, we've just gotta give him more time!

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.