Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Now for what I would say is of almost bigger importance, who are we bringing in as assistants?

Granato wasn't the greatest candidate, but far from the worst and we can be confident he'll at least have the team play in an entertaining manner. How he uses the offseason and what moves we make will further how this thing will go. I'm cautiously optimistic due to the Sabres play upon his promotion but more so on the fact he made the players work on fundamentals and certainly said what we wanted to hear.    

The HC should be able to bring in the coaches he wants to work with. It would be a mistake for the organization to dictate who should be on his staff. It is reasonable for the front office to review the prospective coaches before approving of the hiring but it should be Granato to have the  most say in the assembling of his staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

Execute Order 39!

A long time ago, GM Sheevyn appointed Don Granato as his personal representative on the Sabres Bench. But he was only given the rank of Interim. It was outrageous. It was unfair! He had more meatballs than any of the coaches there. How could you be the head coach and be only interim?

But now, vindication. When players return to the ice, Granato tells them, "When I left you, I was but the interim; now I am the Head Coach."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

The HC should be able to bring in the coaches he wants to work with. It would be a mistake for the organization to dictate who should be on his staff. It is reasonable for the front office to review the prospective coaches before approving of the hiring but it should be Granato to have the  most say in the assembling of his staff. 

Oh, I'm not saying force one onto his staff; I would just hope he Granato finds one. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Shocked  I don't understand why they didn't do this 5 weeks ago When it was pretty obvious from the start

The Pegulas appear to have at least learned 1 thing during their ownership of the Sabres, they can not simply anoint an inexperienced guy as "the one" to direct the team without having at least seen who else was available.

Along the way, maybe their GM found some assist coach candidates for his new coach to check out & at worst (Gronborg or Tochet perhaps?) he got to talk to a few HC candidates assuming that should Granato fail he can weasel his way out of the blame & get a 2nd kick at the can from ownership.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You're probably right on that.  If he doesn't work out Adams will be pilloried.  But Granato will be seen as what he'll have been shown to be: a very good AHL coach that couldn't quite make the leap.

Definitely hoping that he works out & Adams ends up vindicated.  But, until this does work out, it's still going to be questioned.  Nolan I was questioned and worked out.  Ruff was questioned and worked out.  Hopefully this follows in their footsteps & not in Rolston or Housley's.

To expand on this and my thoughts further, it'll be interesting if this hire ends up looking like a bold/risky move, or the safe bet. There are a lot of variables that can go in to it.

Did Adams/the Pegulas want someone more experienced, but they couldn't get them? Or didn't want to pay them?

Did the Pegulas decide they would stay out of the way and not worry about their GM making a hire that would make them look bad?

Did Adams make this hire because he's not worried about it blowing up in his face? He could have hired an experienced coach who would born more of the blame. Is this a confident move? Or is it the safe bet?

Time, and details, will tell I suppose. At the moment I think it's a bold move. But...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If they named Granato HC after the season I would have read 5 weeks worth of, “They didn’t even do a proper search, there were so many coaches out there they could have spoke to but didn’t even bother, what an absolute joke.”

Think about this: you are an experienced NHL Head Coach, you go in to interview with the last place team in the league who can’t confirm with you if the top two players will be traded or not and whether the only competent goalie on the team will be back.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

To expand on this and my thoughts further, it'll be interesting if this hire ends up looking like a bold/risky move, or the safe bet. There are a lot of variables that can go in to it.

Did Adams/the Pegulas want someone more experienced, but they couldn't get them? Or didn't want to pay them?

Did the Pegulas decide they would stay out of the way and not worry about their GM making a hire that would make them look bad?

Did Adams make this hire because he's not worried about it blowing up in his face? He could have hired an experienced coach who would born more of the blame. Is this a confident move? Or is it the safe bet?

Time, and details, will tell I suppose. At the moment I think it's a bold move. But...

Look, I get that Granato is not an experienced NHL head coach but he's an experienced coach. He has the most coaching experience of anyone hired since Lindy Ruff. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot of what’s missing in the discussion is the potential influence of the exit interviews with the players. There could have been an overwhelming desire for him to remain the coach. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Look, I get that Granato is not an experienced NHL head coach but he's an experienced coach. He has the most coaching experience of anyone hired since Lindy Ruff. 

Lindy didn't have much experience when he was hired either.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I think a lot of what’s missing in the discussion is the potential influence of the exit interviews with the players. There could have been an overwhelming desire for him to remain the coach. 

That shouldn't matter.  They loved Kruger and by all accounts they loved Housley too.   Often times the best man for the job is the guy they don't want.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well I called this way back when the search started. Of course it was Granato, it was always going to be Granato, I truly believe the so called search was merely an exercise in optics. It was of course possible somebody might have wowed them so much they reconsidered but from the start they had penciled in Granato. 

Why? Easy, cheap, and you have a guy who won't say no and be bigger than the GM (or owner). 

I would have thought 2 years not 3. Three means he's here for 2 even if we suck bad. 

This hire is exactly the same as the previous ones. Perhaps we like to alternate between defense first and offense first guys now? Bylsma to Housley, Housley to Krueger, now Kreuger to Granato. I wonder what Granato will proclaim we will be, perhaps "fast" ???

I am underwhelmed but who knows. At least Steve Smith isn't here. But if they do not carve out a real identity for this team and stick to it, it is hopeless.  

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Lindy didn't have much experience when he was hired either.

That shouldn't matter.  They loved Kruger and by all accounts they loved Housley too.   Often times the best man for the job is the guy they don't want.

You only know what they told the media. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.