Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Lindy didn't have much experience when he was hired either.

That shouldn't matter.  They loved Kruger and by all accounts they loved Housley too.   Often times the best man for the job is the guy they don't want.

AKA Gallant.  😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Look, I get that Granato is not an experienced NHL head coach but he's an experienced coach. He has the most coaching experience of anyone hired since Lindy Ruff. 

Well, the point I'm trying to make there is that if you're worried that the Pegulas influenced a coaching hire because they were worried about what their reputation would be if they didn't hire a guy with previous head coaching experience, that appears to not have happened here. It's one angle to look at it from.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Any thoughts on how he'll answer the inevitable Q's about Eichel's status on Thursday?

Possible answer. That's not my job.

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

"No comment" , "That's between Jack and Kevyn", "I'll be ready to coach the players on the roster at the start of training camp." 

Correct answer and as it should be.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

"No comment" , "That's between Jack and Kevyn", "I'll be ready to coach the players on the roster at the start of training camp." 

Very likely.  Would like him to be a bit more straightforward but totally get why he wouldn't be.  And he tended to be a straight shooter in his post game Zoom calls.

He's had, what, 5 weeks to prepare for that Q, so he should have the answer down cold for each of the 17 times he gets asked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Very likely.  Would like him to be a bit more straightforward but totally get why he wouldn't be.  And he tended to be a straight shooter in his post game Zoom calls.

He's had, what, 5 weeks to prepare for that Q, so he should have the answer down cold for each of the 17 times he gets asked.

"If I answer honestly I'll get my pee-pee slapped by Uncle Terry."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

"If I answer honestly I'll get my pee-pee slapped by Uncle Terry."

My expectation is the answer starts off as "Jack's 1 heck of a hockey player."   It's what follows and how he says it that will be interesting.  (At least the 1st time he answers.  After the 3rd rephrase game, the next 14 will be annoying, but par for the course.)

I like the hire and honestly expected it at the end of the season.  Don is an experienced coach at all levels especially development and proved last season he can coach in the NHL and keep a team at the bottom of the standings playing hard every night.  Now can he teach these kids how to win in the NHL?

We can gripe about the previous coaches (and y'all know what I think about Rasputin and his hire), but they were all valid hires to a certain extent.  DB was a proven NHL Cup winning coach.  Housley was a HOF player and a top NHL asst that was on most list of up and coming coaches.  Rasputin had been an NHL coach and had success in Europe and was allegedly a very motivational guy.  They all failed here.  Looking back on it, I think the coaches were less the problem then the roster except Rasputin. Lack of depth on offense, poor goaltending, plodding defense at times etc....  I don't think anyone except Trotz could have succeeded with the crap rosters we had.  That said Rasputin is the one coach who statistically destroyed offensive production from his top players.

• Like (+1) 4

"Jack is a heck of a player and our focus at this time is getting him back to full health.  Moving forward we're going to do what's best for the Buffalo Sabres."

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like the hire and honestly expected it at the end of the season.  Don is an experienced coach at all levels especially development and proved last season he can coach in the NHL and keep a team at the bottom of the standings playing hard every night.  Now can he teach these kids how to win in the NHL?

We can gripe about the previous coaches (and y'all know what I think about Rasputin and his hire), but they were all valid hires to a certain extent.  DB was a proven NHL Cup winning coach.  Housley was a HOF player and a top NHL asst that was on most list of up and coming coaches.  Rasputin had been an NHL coach and had success in Europe and was allegedly a very motivational guy.  They all failed here.  Looking back on it, I think the coaches were less the problem then the roster except Rasputin. Lack of depth on offense, poor goaltending, plodding defense at times etc....  I don't think anyone except Trotz could have succeeded with the crap rosters we had.  That said Rasputin is the one coach who statistically destroyed offensive production from his top players.

Pretty good assessment. Coaching is important but good coaches need good players. Coaching needs to be able to utilize players correctly. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Byslma has never gotten another HC job, neither has Housley. While I don't think the blame was 100% on them, they were/are C or B coaches at best.

No one said they did a good job, just they weren't out of left field hires.  Also Phil is the D coordinator and PP coach in Arizona.  He'll get another HC gig sooner then later.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The interesting thing I found with Granato was that he adjusted his team in game to issues. A good coach knows how to tweak and change things to counter other teams. That said, we definitely do not know if how we played will work in a full season. 

Nothing wrong with that.  At the same time, hiring Granato tells me they're going with the youth movement and that's gonna require some patience from the fans. 

It's likely the roster will be younger, led by a first-time NHL HC, and all under the watchful eye of a first-time GM without any experience building a roster as an executive. 

They cut the scouting budget drastically...why not cut down on the budget re: all of these "extensive searches" they conduct, when they just end up always having the right person here aaaallllll along, anyways?

- - - 

Anyways, I like Granato as a coach for a rebuilding team with zero expectations. Seems like a genuinely good dude, too. 

Social media team remains ridiculously cringe. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.