Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Consensus among your scouts. 

That said Power is not in my top 3 and isn't my highest ranked defenseman. 

Maybe. But that is your opinion and none of us are professional scouts.  Certainly your scouting staff is number one, but a lot to consider when the top minds in the league are making their opinions. 

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Or did they see a guy do some good in difficult circumstances and said "let's ride this"?

While I am drawn to Occam's Razor in most circumstances, I don't think it's quite that simple here. I'm sure "riding the hot hand" might have been part of the decision, but there are most certainly other factors involved as well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

While I am drawn to Occam's Razor in most circumstances, I don't think it's quite that simple here. I'm sure "riding the hot hand" might have been part of the decision, but there are most certainly other factors involved as well.

We'd be in big trouble if Granato's accomplishment on ice was viewed as "hot hand", I'd argue. I think he won like 9 games. Again, not saying they might not expect that to lead to way more, but if that's "hot", their expectations are assuredly too low

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

They cut the scouting budget drastically...why not cut down on the budget re: all of these "extensive searches" they conduct, when they just end up always having the right person here aaaallllll along, anyways?

- - - 

Anyways, I like Granato as a coach for a rebuilding team with zero expectations. Seems like a genuinely good dude, too. 

Social media team remains ridiculously cringe. 

The underlined reads like a plot of a bad romantic comedy.

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

‘My focus in coaching is not on “systems” first but rather developing that players skill’- Don Granato

certainly was crystal clear with Dahlin, Casey, Tage, etc… vs RKs “system”

Is it wrong I wish his first focus was winning, and not development?

• Like (+1) 1

Key metrics actually declined when Granato took over... the only difference was shooting and save percentage, thats it... puck luck.

That said, they need to play better team defense, which is the toughest thing for young players to learn.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The underlined reads like a plot of a bad romantic comedy.

sipping mark zuckerberg GIF

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Key metrics actually declined when Granato took over... the only difference was shooting and save percentage, thats it... puck luck.

That said, they need to play better team defense, which is the toughest thing for young players to learn.   

Important to bear this in mind, especially given what we know of how much easier it is to win games late in a season you are already eliminated 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Is it wrong I wish his first focus was winning, and not development?

He basically stated you can’t win until you are developed … with the amount of players he coached that are now top NHL players there is something to that 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He basically stated you can’t win until you are developed … with the amount of players he coached that are now top NHL players there is something to that 

Well, I mean ya of course. But I don't think the franchise itself develops until it makes winning the priority. That doesn't mean "development" can't be high on the list 

Well, I mean ya of course. But I don't think the franchise itself develops until it makes winning the priority. That doesn't mean "development" can't be high on the list 

Interestingly his “system” is predicated on puck possession that leads to more time attacking. I think it’s a breath of fresh air that showed clear dividends with a trash roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Interestingly his “system” is predicated on puck possession that leads to more time attacking. I think it’s a breath of fresh air that showed clear dividends with a trash roster. 

Can I say I didn't necessarily see this, without saying I have no hope for Granato? 

When we tout all year how bad of a coach Krueger was, and by data it seems to be true, and we see literally zero uptick in overall metrics after he goes, and we win a little more, is it possible the small improvement we saw was down to, if not luck, a regression to the mean of coaching aptitude?

Candidly, I think anyone would be hard pressed to make a compelling argument that the small performance uptick we saw was more due to Granato, an unknown at the NHL head coaching level, than it was due to simply the dismissal of Krueger. 

Would you be shocked to learn Krueger was a net negative behind the bench and that you or I standing behind it, and doing nothing, would be an improvement?

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Winning probably is the priority but how you meet that priority is the question. I don't have reason to believe winning isn't the priority but it's a question of the best way to get there. That involves development.

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Winning probably is the priority but how you meet that priority is the question. I don't have reason to believe winning isn't the priority but it's a question of the best way to get there. That involves development.

The only thing Adams mentioned IIRC in his interview with regards to expectations for next season was, by memory, "Of course, we need to show improvement (in season)". 

I question the priority

Edited by Thorny

The only thing Adams mentioned IIRC in his interview with regards to expectations for next season was, by memory, "Of course, we need to show improvement (in season)". 

I question the priority 

Still think we're splitting hairs and saying the same thing. Winning is the priority. You play to win. Reality is you don't win every time. When Granato speaks of improvement the one (improvement)  should lead to more winning. 

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

A few years back we drafted Dahlin and I was excited for us to look like Toronto. Up-and-coming offensive talents, with a puck-moving/rushing squad of defensemen that Housley/JBot were clearly in synch on. And then... in a couple years, learn the defense as we go. But at least be fun and attacking. That didn't happen. So... maybe now we can try that again but with HCDG as the commander.

I'm curious to see the breakdown of:

1) HCDG pre-practice (immediately after his hire, no practice, the losing streak continuing). My heart tells me to throw this stretch out of the data.

2) HCDG practice, through the time Ullmark and Okposo got injured. That seemed to be the most competitive and upbeat part of the season.

3) The season end-game with AHL goalies and playing out the string.

58 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Maybe. But that is your opinion and none of us are professional scouts.  Certainly your scouting staff is number one, but a lot to consider when the top minds in the league are making their opinions. 

No *****? Huh who knew

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Given how terrible the Sabres have been drafting. you could have fooled me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.